First Boat? Any of these: O'Day Mariner, Balboa, or Capri 14.2 - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009

jp375 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I got greedy. I bought a '69 Coronado 25 for my first boat. Hull, deck and standing rigging in great shape. Very few gelcoat cracks, no blisters, soft spots or delamination that I could find. Serviceable sails, 4-stroke 9.9 Honda outboard with about 100 hours on it. Fixed keel.

The reviews I read state that it's a solid, durable boat that is very forgiving to the novice, so I figured it'd be ok as a first boat and I'd be able to resist the urge to upgrade for longer.
So what has your experience been? Have you been able to learn and practice well on the larger boat? I still really like this Mariner 2+2 for sale, but I'm thinking I probably should spend a bit less than $4500 now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2009

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
If you are trailering in Minnesota, I'd avoid the fixed keel Capri. Shallow launch ramps and shallow lakes make a centerboard more practical.

Others have suggested 22 footers... yes they are "trailerable" but you'll quickly tire of rigging and launching for anything less than an overnight... too much work for a daysail. I've raised the mast on an O'Day 222 with one other guy and I'd only do that for a season, maybe a weekend but NEVER for a daysail.

Carefully consider your overnighting prospects. If daysailing is really the desire, then you can go to things like O'Day Daysailer (my mid-fifties wife and I can launch and retrieve in ten minutes), Flying Scot, Rhodes 19, etc. Cheap to buy, easy to trailer, fun to sail, spacious cockpit... just no cabin.
Old 12-08-2009

jp375 is on a distinguished road
Good advice. The fixed keel on the Capri is a big concern, considering some lakes that I would use it on really aren't all that big, and likely the ramps are not the greatest. I think for budget reasons the o'day daysailer might be a good option, there are a few for sale around here. I'm still very interested in the Mariner, but just haven't had a chance to go look at it. Hopefully this next weekend.