First Boat? Any of these: O'Day Mariner, Balboa, or Capri 14.2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009

jp375 is on a distinguished road
First Boat? Any of these: O'Day Mariner, Balboa, or Capri 14.2

So I took an ASA 101 course this summer and had a great time. Now I'm looking to get my first boat before next spring so that I can get started as soon as winter clears out. Will be mostly trailering around to nearby lakes. Found a couple of boats for sale, and was hoping to get some opinions. I was originally completely set on a Catalina Capri 14.2, but the more I look around, you are almost paying the same price for a used one of those as a nice 20 foot boat with some interior space. I'm just not sure that getting a 20 foot boat would be wise as a first boat. There is a 1974 O'day Mariner 2+2 for $4,500 in the area, and a Balboa 20' for $3,495. Or a nice 2003 fixed keel Capri 14.2 for $4,895.
Any thoughts?

I'm still leaning towards the capri so that I can start small, but I worry I'll soon outgrow it when I want to bring a few people with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
From a boat handling standpoint, I think that you should be fine with the larger boats but there are other factors as well.

What will you be towing with? Can it take the weight?

What are you providing for alternate means of propulsion, an outboard or oars? Outboards are expensive and not 100% reliable(is your back?) but they are really handy.

Does going boat camping on something like a mariner appeal to you?

I have sailed the mariner a bunch and really do like the boat. It isn't the fastest boat but it is not slow and it feels good and has a nice cockpit.
Old 10-31-2009

I've got a full size truck with a V8, so towing any of these shouldn't be an issue. The Mariner comes with what looks to be a very nice 2.5hp Yamaha 4 stroke, which is a big plus.

Going boat camping appeals to me alot, that is kind of why I think it would be nice to have the bigger boat.

I guess I'm mostly concerned that I won't learn to sail correctly, or learn the fundamentals without first learning on a smaller boat. I hate to be the guy with a 20 foot boat that can't sail worth a darn. Is size much of a factor in learning?

The dealer's site is down, but I'll post a link to the mariner when it is back up.
Old 11-01-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of opportunities around for renting the Capri, not so much for renting the larger boats (at least not without having to pay a heavier fee). The Capri isn't a boat you'd go sailing in with heavy winds. I don't know the others you mentioned, but, generally speaking, you can reef a bigger boat and still do fine in a larger boat. I can't imagine camping on a Capri, so that's out of the question, in my mind.
Old 11-01-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, you can learn to sail well in any of the boats you describe. In general, boats that respond quicker are easier to learn on but all of the boats are small enough that it won't be that big of a deal. What it really comes down to is you being observant and trying different techniques to see how to get the boat to sail faster.
Old 11-01-2009

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here is one of the boats I'm interested in. What do you think?
http://www.hoopersyachts.com/Index.c...sedboatid=1047

Being new to sailboats, it seems odd that anyone would even consider a boat this old, but age doesn't appear to bother people when it comes to buying boats. Don't they wear out from the stresses put on them over time?
Old 11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
There are plenty of opportunities around for renting the Capri, not so much for renting the larger boats .
I'm located in the Minneapols/St.Paul area of Minnesota, and so far I haven't really had any luck finding ANY sailboats to rent. I've heard the Capri's are very popular rental boats elsewhere, just haven't seen any around here.
Old 11-01-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I think all the boats you describe you'll learn to sail just fine on. A factor may be the ease of trailering,set-up, launching and recovery. The larger boats will give you a greater sense of security.
Old 11-01-2009

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
If you really like the idea of camping out on your boat I would go with one of the bigger boats. After learning the basics on a dingy I bought a 21 footer and did just fine on it.
Old 11-02-2009
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Go with a bigger one

At about 20 feet, neither of those is going to be more difficult to learn on, and you'll certainly be able to sail more often (in higher wind conditions) and do more (room for stowage and friends).

Kurt