SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Dehler 36 delivery (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/5949-dehler-36-delivery.html)

doubleplay 01-02-2003 05:09 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

I bought and will take delivery(next June) of a new Dehler 36 in Hamburg Germany.
I am planning to sail the boat back to East Coast USA via Canary Islands.
The other option would be transport via cargo ship..Both options more or less costs the same except the time and effort involved in sailing albeit it will be done in hops...
What would you do?and what is your opinions making the crossing with a Dehler 36?
Fair Winds

slipacre 01-02-2003 05:55 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

What a wonderful problem to have.
If it were me I would spend time outfitting and getting to know the boat then would enjoy the hops, might even allow for a detour to the Med to wait out Hurricane season. Heck I could probably turn the delivery into a couple of years adventure. Only question would be make sure you avoit VAT.
Hope you can find the time - Todd V

LarryLevine 01-02-2003 08:24 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

Dear Doubleplay,

I would be very interested to speak with you regarding your purchase of the dehler 36. You can reach me at LarLevine@aol.com or call me on my cell at (619)885-27779. As an alternative you can call me toll free at 1-877-547-6742 and leave a message with Ellen for me to call you back. I am interested in looking at this boat!

turbo87 01-02-2003 11:54 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

Congratulations, I just purchased a new Dehler 34 myself.
Dehler makes fine boats and though they are very well built and could easily do a trans-atlantic sail, including my 34, there are stowage issues you may want to look into. I know my 34 does not have much for stowage and I don''t believe the 36 is sufficient in this area for extensive offshore voyages.
Also, do some research regarding compatibility issues, US vs. European, in power connections, etc. when sailing and docking in Europe and the same in US. Will boat need to be retrofitted for sailing in European waters and then changed for American waters. Someone told me this could be an issue.
Though it sounds wonderful to take delivery from Europe, and I don''t want to discourage you, just make sure you do all your research. The bottom line is you want to have fun with your new Dehler.
Good Luck with your new boat. I know you''ll love it.

Quida123 01-02-2003 02:23 PM

Dehler 36 delivery

You should be fine. Its been done many time in a lot less.

It really has more to do with your seamanship and preparation than in the boat.

But I wouldn''t do it just to save some money, if you are not really into going across yourself, you have to know what you are doing and be mentally prepared.

Personally if I was to do this trip I would do quite a few long offshore sails before I took the long hop over. You never know what is not 100% on a new boat. It can happen to the best of them, too.

doubleplay 01-03-2003 08:54 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

To: Turbo87
I remember you posting a question back in September asking about Dehler 34 and Dufour34..I am glad you made the right choice, enjoy your boat.
As for the differences between a 36 and 34 altough 36 is only 2 feet longer it is %33 heavier and has substantially more water and fuel tankage.But still it is not a heavy displacement boat and extended passage making should be carefully planned.
Buying a European make boat in Europe saves you a lot of money if you have the right connections and as long as you have the holding tank option the rest is very easily adaptable.Of course dealers in the USA dont want to talk about this.....
Fair Winds

LarryLevine 01-03-2003 03:50 PM

Dehler 36 delivery

Doubleplay

Can you tell me who to contact regarding purchase of the Dehler in Germany? It would be most appreciated!

dkz 01-10-2003 04:57 PM

Dehler 36 delivery

As Slipacre says, you''ll probably want to hole up in Europe to wait out hurricane season. You probably won''t be able to stay there all summer, so you''ll probably need a trustworthy stateside respresentative on board, one who is free for the summer, speaks several European languages, is a decent sailor and good cook and is willing to disappear into the European hinterlands at a moment''s notice when you want him to. (I''ll crew across the Atlantic with you, too.)

CaptnAl 01-20-2003 05:46 PM

Dehler 36 delivery

I''m a state-side owner of a Dehler 36, but haven''t gone off shore yet on her. The boat carries a CE A rating, meaning certified for open ocean. The AC power will need converting once here, as the 220V cords are smaller than 110, and outlets differ, too. The MasterVolt charger used by Dehler can handle either, though. Tankage is okay, except for holding tank too small (not a problem off shore).

doubleplay 01-21-2003 06:02 AM

Dehler 36 delivery

CaptainAl,
Thanks for the info...
How do you like the boat so far?
Any other pointers regarding the ground tackle and systems...
Fair Winds,