Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009

Viking1 is on a distinguished road
Nordship 28 anybody any details, experience etc.

I know Nordship have a great reputation as builders but I do not seem to be able to find any information on the Nordship 28. I have the opportunity to buy one, it looks fine but I can find nothing by searching the net.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Looks like a solid boat from a quick look on Yachtworld. There are 2 for sale - both in the UK.
Brian
Old 11-04-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
1983 Nordship 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here's one of them.. a few pictures. Looks solid as Brian says, but cramming an aft cabin into a 28 footer has to cost you something somewhere, here the cockpit looks smallish and the main salon a touch cramped too. I've seen a 33 foot very similar looking boat that seemed to pull off the concept a little bit better.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-04-2009

I agree with you Faster. I find a boat 1' longer than mine with almost 1' less waterline length with an aft cabin hard to imagine. It's got to be a real basic aft - 2 singles only. The feet of them must extend under the cockpit seats as there are only cockpit lockers in the forward part of the cockpit. The head has to be aft to port and the chart table is a folder over the settee.
Brian
Old 04-09-2010

legionnaire158 is on a distinguished road
I own one - "Haforn" berthed in the solent. Basic but comfortable, and sails like a dream (Loves rough weather). If you want any info add me as a friend on facebook (Steve Lewer)
MiTempo, you're right about the internal architecture, the stern cabin has two singles, but they're wide and comfortable, and a stern cabin is great for kids and off-watchers.

Steve
Old 04-10-2011

Elsbill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Elsbill
I have owned and sailed extensively in a Nordship 28 for 21 years. It was my first boat and, so far, only boat. My wife and I have cruised with over 8000 miles together, including living aboard her for 2 years while exploring the Mediterranean. I am currently fitting the boat out in Germany to get ready for her second visit to the Stockholm Archipelago

What I like about the boat is that is it light, and can sail when other boats are still motoring (useful in the western Mediterranean) but, as another contributor mentioned, is fine and safe in rough weather. It is not a boat for large people and having 4 adults on board for extended periods is problematic.

What sold the boat to me initially was the centre cockpit design at a price I could afford at the time. I do not find forepeaks comfortable for sleeping and hate having to make up my bed in the saloon each night. The rear cabin is very comfortable with two single full length berths (which can be made into a double with an insert cushion). The aft cabin is the perfect place for off watch crew as you can easily look out and see what is going on and, if necessary, be on deck in a second.

Despite the aft cabin, there is plenty of locker space and certainly enough space for long term cruising. The full cover canopy also allows for a very comfortable living space in wet weather.

The build quality is excellent with all the fittings seemingly one size up from what you would expect on a boat this size - it is built like a Volvo! In all my sailing nothing has ever broken and I have never been let down. The motor is small but will push you along at 6 knots in calm conditions.

The saloon is small but cosy. It seems to keep an even, cool temperature, even in hot weather.

All in all, a great boat for 2 not too large people!

I am currently fitting the boat out in Germany to get ready for her second visit to the Stockholm Archipelago

Cheers...Stuart
Old 04-10-2011

I notice the Nordship Faster linked to on Yachtworld (in the UK) is still for sale a year and a half later.
Old 04-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I notice the Nordship Faster linked to on Yachtworld (in the UK) is still for sale a year and a half later.
Awful lot of topside for so small a boat. There is an Australian design (also sold in the US) by Peter Cole, the Nantucket 31 that is of similar concept. While I appreciate the amount of room down below and admit that off the wind they are quite handy under sail they can dance a merry jig at anchor.

That one Fast linked to has some pretty fancy electronics, nice looking cokcpit enclosure and an arch that is a good solid beastie. Overall looks in reasonable condition but USD45.000 would be a few good reasons she is still for sale. Bit of over capitalisation perhaps ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-10-2011

Looks pricey to me as well.
Old 06-21-2012

Sailorboyd is on a distinguished road
Re: Nordship 28 anybody any details, experience etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking1 View Post
I know Nordship have a great reputation as builders but I do not seem to be able to find any information on the Nordship 28. I have the opportunity to buy one, it looks fine but I can find nothing by searching the net.

Any help?
Appreciate a little late and you may have made your decision but I have owned one for 11 years and have been totally satisfied with her. Not a racer but built like proverbial outhouse. Easy to sail solo. Centre cockpit is capable of four with ease. 5 is cosy but achievable and can sleep 5. Pointing could be better but mine is twin keeled version so drying out etc plus. Volvo 2001with sail drive reliable. Wide side decks for ease of sailors not as nimble as used to be. Cockpit tent increases useable space. Would trade her in for larger yacht but can't be bothered to sail her to mainland and she has been good friend!
If you still have opportunity to buy the one you've seen would recommend

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.