Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Coastal Cruisers

I''m looking for a comfortable cruising sailboat for two adult couples, and I''m trying to compare the Erickson 32, 34 and the Pacific Seacraft 34. perhaps the PC34 is an overkill for coastal cruising. Any recommendations? I will be giving up an Islander 28 which is a sweet sailor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2003

Quida123 is on a distinguished road
Coastal Cruisers

How well do they know and like each other. These boats you listed are very nice boats and could easily do a coastal cruise. The real problem is privacy. While coastal cruising you''ll find that you do a lot more lounging around in the salon and in your berths. I do not believe the Ericson 32 or Pacific Seacraft 34 has privacy for both couples. One of the couples would have to be bunking in the Salon or in the open quarter-berth, while the other lucky ones have privacy in the v-berth. Personally I''d rather be the couple up front than left out in the open. Most adult couples like their privacy if coastal cruising. (The Ericson 34 might possibly have a secluded quarter berth, but I''m not sure)

But these boats are more than adequately strong for any type of Coastal cruising you might do. But I do know the Pacific Seacraft is no speedster and if there are lighter type winds in your area you might take a while getting somewhere without the iron genny.

Personally I think the Pacific Seacraft would shine as an offshore type boat for a couple or two....especially since most of the time all 4 people aren''t asleep below at the same time anyway. But the cockpits are not very big either and Coastal crusing its nice with a bit bigger cockpit.

I know this might be sacrilege to some, but I think this is a situation (with 2 Adult Couples and Coastal cruising), where one of the bigger named production manufacturers would fit the bill better. The better ones are pretty nice sailing boats, set up well for privacy in the alotted space and basically very comfortable for coastal cruising. Just be sure to stay away from "trendy" one off designs and stick to the tried and true versions. But if I had to pick between your 3 I would go with the Ericson 34, even though the Pacific Seacraft is a much "shippier" boat
Old 01-12-2003

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Coastal Cruisers

I appreciate the comments from Quida123. Looked at the PS34. A great long distance cruising boat for a couple with an occasional guest. However, I stumbled across a Catalina 320 and fell in love!