Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003

pmcandrew is on a distinguished road
''''80 Hunter 27

I am considering buying a 1980 Hunter 27'' boat with fin keel (I''m guessing since draft listed is 4'' 3"), inboard Renault, head w/holding tank, non furling jib, original sails, etc. Can anyone offer advice on problem areas prone to this boat or common structural defficiencies? The interior is marginal and has some water damage from leaking window ports, buts seems refurbishable. I have had considerable experience with woodworking and diesels and I don''t THINK this is over my head. I''m looking for a project to have ready by summer but I will say I enjoy the projects ALMOST as much as sailing. I think I can get this boat for around 5K or less. Does this sound reasonable? Its well under asking prices on yachtworld, but the listings seem in much better condition. At what price is a $500-$600 survey worth the investment? Probably know the answer to that as blisters would probably be my biggest concern.

Thanks,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
''''80 Hunter 27

My Family had two Hunter 30''s of that era. They were reasonably well constructed but as with any boats of that era there are bound to be some problem areas to watch out for. In the case of the Hunters of that size and era, Blisters were a very major problem. On My father''s 1981 he tried everything, peels, sandblasting and eventually so much was blasted away that the bottom was almost entirely epoxy and fiberglass. On the other hand the 1980 model had only moderate blister problems.

The 1980 had a problem with rot at the bottom of the post that supports the mast step which was reasonably easy to fix. The 1981 had some rust in the steel structure that carries the mast and shroud loads. In looking for the 1980 we found that a lot of these boats had serious core rot. If that is the case, I would say that $5K is not a particularly inexpensive price because in the worst cases this is a major operation to correct.

These boats had lousy hardware and sails. If the original hardware and sails are on the boat you can pretty much expect to replace the winches (under sized and with plastic internal parts), blocks and travellers not to mention the sails.

As with any boat this age You can expect to find some ''issues''. Unless very well maintained and updated by a previous owner, you might expect to need to address some combination of the following items:

∑ Sails, chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are beyond their useful lifespan,
∑ an engine that is in need of rebuild or replacement,
∑ worn out or out of date deck, galley, and head hardware,
∑ worn out upholstery,
∑ Out of date safety gear
∑ electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
∑ electrical and plumbing systems that need repairs, upgrades to modern standards or replacement.
∑ Blister, fatigue, rudder, hull deck joint or deck coring problems
∑ Keel bolt replacement (bolt on keel) or delamination of the hull from the ballast for a glassed in keel.
∑ And perhaps a whole range of aesthetic issues.

In combination, even a small number of these can quickly add up to several times the value of the boat, in which case the survey is a real bargain.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2003

iedco is on a distinguished road
''''80 Hunter 27

now a 3rd yr owner of a hunter 1976 27
I''m also the third owner. the boat is in great shape with no structure problems,all those other items have been replaced and I''m going to keep improving it. sails great alot of thumbs up.The lines are beautiful!!
A classic boat built when they wanted them to last. John Mc
Old 01-07-2003

ejjawhite is on a distinguished road
''''80 Hunter 27

Hi Patrick, I just purchased a 1984 Hunter 27 from the original owner. I paid 12k for it. This boat is in excellent shape. One of the weak point s of many earlier models was that they were underpowered. Mine has been upgraded to a 12 hp Westerbeke, fromthe 10 it originally came with.. Mine happens to be in excellent shape, and I did have it surveyed, tho when I saw her for the first time I knew that wouldn''t be necessary, but it satisfied my wife. While they lacked some deck hardware, such as the genoa traks, and a traveller, many owners have found this to be easliy remedied to increase pointing ability. It''s not that the original hardware was cheap, but it was rather lacking. Hunter built all the boats exactly the same... no options available, which saved $$$ and those who wished to upgrade could do it reasonably themselves or by their boatyard. They are well made boats, tho blisters can be found on some boats.... it depends alot on how they were maintained.
Old 01-23-2003

pmcandrew is on a distinguished road
''''80 Hunter 27

I know I''m more than a little late here, but thanks for the replys. I ended up passing on the Hunter and am still looking. The boat in question was on ebay and ended up being bid up higher than I think it was worth (just under 6k). It was in my area and I had a chance to inspect it before the auction ended. It had extensive water damage to interior wood and was overdue for a bottom job, etc, etc. By the time I would have gotten it where I wanted I would have been better off paying more for a boat in better condition. Thanks again...