Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009

WindsorSailer is on a distinguished road
Not sure myself, I will scan it and see if I can attach it can't see why not.

I will put it up tomorrow.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009

Reboot11133 is on a distinguished road
This should be my 5th post so I will try to send you a PM.
Old 12-15-2009

edelsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to edelsailor
Hi, I am also an Edel665 owner (1980). I am in hopes to clear a few issues with this thread. First the empty weight is as the brochure states, 2,403 lb. This is all gear it was sold with (cushions,anchor,sails,PFD's,mast and boom,running and standing rigging),no motor. Put the boat in the water and it will displace 2403 pounds of water (physical law.) The displacement of 3,484 lb, is Maurice Edel's Design displacement. Thus 3484-2403=1081 lb, is needed to bring the hull (sink) down to the intended water line, so that the boat will sail with its designed "wetted surface". This is why the Edel665 should not be sailed at no more than 12 degrees heal, because more than that puts more boat in the water. We Yank's distorted the the displacement figures of sailboats for obscure reasons, and thus the ambiguity about how much a sailboat weighs under full crew and gear. If I were an dishonest sailor , I could handicap my boat at 3484, and win the coarse every time.

Last edited by edelsailor; 12-16-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Displacement of a boat on the spec sheet is usually the "designed displacement" and doesn't include the driver, his guests or loose gear unless stated otherwise. The Edel spec sheet is the only one I've ever seen done in that unique way.
Old 12-16-2009

edelsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to edelsailor
I believe the intent was to convey to buyers of the edel665, that this could easily be a "trailer sailor". By knowing the empty weight of the boat, the weight of the trailer, the owner could know if his towing vehicle was capable,as well as not exceeding GVW ratings. I had my edel665 craned off a trailer by the single cable lifting hook in the keel, and the crane scaled it at 2800, its bilges were full of frozen water.
Old 03-14-2010

floatingonthewind is on a distinguished road
so how is the edel for performance? im looking at buying one and it looks to be a well designed boat
Old 05-22-2010

BLUEWATER665 is on a distinguished road
Edel Performance

I have a 1981 665. Great boat. I have sailed in 30 knot winds with the second reef in and a small jib to keep her balanced. No problem. When overpowered she rounds up and you can just let the sheet out to keep her going. One nice thing about this boat is that you can still handle the sheets in big wind. Everything is right there by the tiller (mainsheet, jib sheet). I have had this boat surfing at 9mph on the GPS with wind on the stern quarter. She performs best loaded (wl length) and sailed at 10-15 degrees. Just keep the weight out of the ends. I upgraded to standing headroom (pearson 31-2), no twofootitis here. My 665 is for sale in Ontario.
Old 09-03-2010

raym0nde is on a distinguished road
Bluewater665:
Is your boat still for sale? If so, could you send me more details.
Old 04-06-2011

AdamHowie is on a distinguished road
While I do not own an Edel, but i have sailed one several different times, We had it doing 6.1-6.6 knots in heavy winds; with the first reef in the main, and a partially roller reefed 150, so they are considerably fast for a 22 footer.

The owner hauls it out seasonally with his 4x4 and a tongue extension right beside his dock. A very slick procedure!

Its one of the most fun sailboats I have ever sailed on (aside from a soling) It points really well and is very stable going upwind.

The cabin is huge compared to other 22's with a smart and functional layout.

The brochure states it sleeps five; my rule of thumb is that you divide this number by 2 to find out how many it will sleep comfortably, in the case of the edel the answer is 3. While it can sleep 5 in a pinch, you would be crazy to do this.

Adam

Here is a collection of Edel 665 pictures:

Flickr: AdamHowie's Photostream
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AdamHowie; 04-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
My memory may be failing me, OK it is failing me, but I seem to recollect that Tania Aebi whose ad apepars on this page may have sailed one from France to the US or Canada. I remember the boat being on display at the Toronto boat show. Might have been a bigger Edel ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.