Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009

Reboot11133 is on a distinguished road
Looking for info on EDEL 665

I can't find much info on the EDEL 665 in English on the web. I know they were made in France and Canada. How do they sail? How many people could comfortably go out for weekend cruise? Are they fast, stable...
I am looking at buying one as a first sail boat and any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
They are a pretty little boat. But these numbers:

Specifications for the Edel 665

LOA 21.8 ft. LOD 21.8 ft.
LWL 18.2 ft. Beam 8.2 ft.
Draft 3.2 ft. Displaces 3,484 lbs.
Ballast 882 lbs. Mast Height 29.8 ft.
Sail Area 211.0 sq. ft.

Performance Indicators

D/L 258 B/D 25 % SA/D 14.7
Comfort 16.2 Capsize 2.17 L/B 2.7

.. indicate a pretty heavy boat for its size. With a Cat 22 at 2500#, Oday 222 at 2200#, Tanzer 22 at 2900 all with similar sail area this makes the Edel look a bit overweight - which will affect boat speed to a degree in certain conditions. The other stats don't point to exhilarating performance either.

However if you're not racing, this could be a comfy cruiser in that size range though probably tender with only a 25% ballast ratio. The layout is a bit unconventional with what appears to be a single forward rather than a V berth but the main salon seems to make into a decent double.

Here's a bunch of links with pics and data (you've probably seen these already)

edel 665 sailboat - Google Search

I've not sailed one and am just going by the "numbers' but do recall a fairly nice fit and finish when they were new. Not many around either, but I'm assuming you've found one locally?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-07-2009

Im confused

The info I have found states the boat weight at 2,403 Lbs and with a ballast of of 882 Lbs over 1/3 of the boat weight. How does the displacement affect that? I assume with a displacement of 3,403 Lbs the boat could carry 1000Lbs of people and gear.
I believe there were about 900 made but most of the info is in French not one of my stronger subjects.
I would not be racing more weekend cruising the Gulf Islands and Howe Sound.
I did find one locally and the boat comes with a trailer and appears to be in really good condition. I want a boat that can easily be sailed and can accomodate a couple of people for weekend cruises.

Last edited by Reboot11133; 11-07-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You're right, other sites show a much more likely displacement around 2400 lbs which is more in line with the others.... sorry about that.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-07-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I found a spec sheet (from the original brochure) that states displacement of 3400+ with an empty weight os 2403. Water ballast possibly? I can find no mention of it though.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for info on EDEL 665-edel6654sale1111.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I found a spec sheet (from the original brochure) that states displacement of 3400+ with an empty weight os 2403. Water ballast possibly? I can find no mention of it though.
Brian
Yes, that's strange... from that era water ballast would be unlikely, I'd expect, but it's unlike the manufacturers to list a loaded displacement, so maybe that's with full tanks and crew??

Old 11-08-2009

No water Ballast

There is no water ballast system on this boat. The extra 1000Lbs must be the rated carrying capacity or just a typo...
I went and looked at the boat yesterday it is in very good shape. There is some kind of delamination or something happening around the forward hatch. There doesn't appear to be any soft spots on the deck.
It has a single point lift system for launching with a crane so the owner doesn't need to keep the boat in the water. Nice feature! It also comes with a trailer but the trailer does't have breaks so it is really only good for moving it around the marina.
I am having trouble deciding on this boat, it is a sexy looking boat but quite small below decks...
Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboot11133 View Post
...Decisions, decisions...
Welcome to our world!!

Old 11-24-2009

WindsorSailer is on a distinguished road
Welcome, I currently own a 1981 Edel 665 Great little boat. We have sailed with out family of 5 comfortably. 2 adults and 3 teenage boys, by oldest is 6'3" 230lb, similar to myself. We get around the boat ok, inside can be a little cramped, but we manage. Overnight trip once with everyone on boat, that was a little cozy, but with the wife and I it is just fine. Our total weight would be in the 950lb range. Noticed the difference at motor, but at sail she was fine.

We did have 8 people on board once for a fireworks deal 2 little ones, just motored out and floated to watch. That was a little low on the waterline but it was fine.

I have the original brochure I can scan a copy for you if you would like.
Old 11-24-2009

I can't send you a PM yet I don't have enough posts. Apparently you need 5 posts before you can PM other members. I would love to see the brochure, can it be posted here?