Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Buying on ebay?

I've bought high quality musical instruments running around $1000 on ebay before. I have a lot of expertise in that area, so can sort the honest sellers from the crooks. But I've never considered buying a boat from ebay Motors. Have any of you tried? Any advice?

I know the brokers talk down on it, but they'll talk down on anyone who is outside their brokerage fraternity.

There is a nice late model boat up there with no reserve right now that I would consider. I've sent a couple of questions but no response yet. (Usually I can gauge the honesty of the seller from how clearly they answer my questions.) Other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
just one.....Don't buy sight unseen...if you cant get to it pass on it.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-08-2009

anemoneii is on a distinguished road
I bought my current boat on ebay, it was local, I took a look bought it for half the asking price on most models on Yachtworld. Sold my last two boats on Ebay, both out of the country sight unseen, both went extreamly well.
Old 11-08-2009

GreatWhite is on a distinguished road
I have had good success buying stuff on ebay, although not boats. I have a friend who is picking a boat up 1000 miles from where he lives... all I know is it is rougher shape than he expected.

The thing with boats is the photos don't always tell the story...sometimes they are dated or just don t capture the overall condition.

I would say as a minimum you would want to have someone local look at the boat beyond feeling the seller out.

Check local boat buying assistance here on SN.

Last edited by GreatWhite; 11-09-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
It seems as though it would be easy to hide problems by selling a boat on ebay. I wouldn't buy a boat on ebay unless I could see it. It is just too risky. Even if the boat is next to free, you could end up losing a lot of money on the wrong boat.
Old 11-08-2009

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
I bought my current boat on ebay sight unseen a couple of years ago. It was a great deal and I lucked out with the condition of it. It is a very risky venture though. I based a big part of my decision on the posts about the seller's reputation and the fact that Mirage builds a good boat. The more I learn about my boat and the cost of maintenance, the more I realize I was lucky and could have really been burnt. A survey and a look in person would be the way to go.
Old 11-08-2009
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anemoneii View Post
I bought my current boat on ebay, it was local, I took a look bought it for half the asking price on most models on Yachtworld. Sold my last two boats on Ebay, both out of the country sight unseen, both went extreamly well.
How exactly does the process work for cars and boats? I know from past ebay experience that I have a moral obligation to complete the transaction once I win the auction. But if the boat is misrepresented I would have no qualms about backing out.

My first step for musical instruments is always the same. I send a question saying something like "Please disclose all defects and blemishes - anything that would make the boat appear be less than brand new." In my mind, the seller's failure to disclose everything would entitle me to back out of the deal.

This boat is not local. I can't travel to see every boat. As I envision it, if the seller answers my question in a thoughtful fashion and seems to be honest, I would ask him to provide his phone number so we could talk over the phone. If he passes those tests, I would bid. If I won, I would travel to see the boat and fork over the $$$ if everything looks on the up-and-up. (I'd probably have a surveyor meet me there.) In advance of all this, I'd have a shipper lined up.

Could you describe the process that you used for your ebay purchase?
Old 11-08-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
A lot of the listing state to look at the boat before bidding so in those cases it really is your responsibility to verify everything before you place a bid .

FWIW It is very hard to know if your describing everything involved with a boat to the buyers satisfaction...If I was auctioning a boat on eBay it would have an "as is" clause just for the reason you mentioned.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 11-08-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Doc, you have a good plan. I bought two cars and a canoe (lots of other stuff too) on ebay. I got burned on one car. The guy didn't mislead me, but he didn't disclose everything. On the other car and the canoe, I corresponded and telephoned. When I won, I went there with cash in hand, inspected the vehicle. He got the money, I got the car. If it had been unsatisfactory, I would have gone home. He can leave negative feedback, but I'd keep my money.
Old 11-09-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
I bid on one boat on eBay. It was not local, but I had local relatives that went and inspected it for me. I wouldn't even think of bidding on one without seeing it or having someone else look at it for me. The second step is to know how much the boat is worth to you. Then go get on a 'sniping' site and set it up to bid for you at the end of the auction. Others will be doing the same and it is amazing how the automated bidders step in at the end and the price soars. I didn't get the boat in the end because the price went above what I was willing to pay - knowing that transport costs would have to be added.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.