Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
"IF" you are going to buy a boat that old, it may or may not come with a lot of work. As far as buying one that old overall, I would not worry about it. I bought one 20, from the original owner, in pretty good shape, had a few things to do. well maybe a lot depending upon view. But overall, no regrets if you get a boat that will work for you.

Not sure where you are at, but, there are many 30'ish foot boats 20-30 yrs old that may or may not work for you. Jeanneau and Beneteau have some boats that first came to the states in the late 70's to early 80's too, with IMHO nicer interiors.......but now your talking personal tastes. For jeanneau, look for an attalia, or an arcadia if you can find one. The attalia is listed as 32, really about 30, the arcadia listed as 30 but really about 28.

Beneateau look for a first 30/305 or 28.

Enjoy your new boat, what ever it may be. Tween you two current choices, it would be a C&C hands down. The Sabre will be the nicer of the two, but prefer slightly faster over nice, probably why I went with my Jeanneau, got both!

marty
Old 11-10-2009

robbuc325 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

boats is that age group tend to be a lot thicker fiberglass = Stronger.

Also Diesels are lot stronger, use less fuel also last a hell of a lot longer than a gas engines. For example i have a diesel hilux pickup truck with 1,142,000 miles on it it has been compleatly underwater in huricane Ivan Grand Cayman and still runs strong all i have done to it is give new rings. (once). clean filters oil and Air and a oil change every year. Find me gas engine that has done all this. it aint going to be gas and it aint going to be a cheavy or ford F-150. my boat has a 35 HP volvo 3 cyl. engine its been there since 1973 i would look for a diesel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I vote for the Sabre, and prefer diesel. The sabre is extremely well built, with one exception...the mast step...if you find one, check this out closely. The workmanship is great and it sails very well in almost conditions, especially in the bays and lakes..

all the best, and survey for sure either way you go.

dave
Old 11-10-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Diesels are easier to maintain, have less to go wrong, and last longer, even with mediocre care. On the other hand, if a gas engine works- use it. They're a lot quieter than diesels, and you may be able to bargain the seller down because it doesn't have "what you really wanted and would have paid more for..."