SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sabre 28 MKI vs Sabre 28 MKII

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  nomchang 
#1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing a 28 Sabre MKI and I'm wondering what the differences between the 28 MKI and MKII are? The boat I want to pruchase is a 1978 MKI.
Tom

#4 ·
We spent the better part of this spring looking at Sabre 28s to purchase. We ultimately opted for something else, but the main differences I noted were:

-The MkII, in some cases, offered a T-shaped cockpit with a seat for the helmsman to better accommodate a wheel. The MKI will have straight benches regardless of tiller or wheel.

-There are two large port lights on each side of the cabin trunk on the Mk II and MkIII, as opposed to just one on the MkI. It's purely aesthetic (I assume it was not in response to a structural issue)--and a matter of personal preference-- but I think the single window on the MKI does not look as good as the later models.

-The MKIIs often came with a Volvo (MD11 I think) instead of an Atomic 4. For what its worth, I noticed that a number MkIs we saw had been re-powered to some sort of diesel.

If I remember correctly, the cabin layout was pretty consistent between the MkI and MkII. The MkI and the MKII were 4'4" draft, and the MkIII was 4'8" (with a 4' shoal draft version).

I'm sure there are other differences but that's what I picked up on. On the whole I think the MkI and MkII a pretty similar. I do recall reading somewhere that they had increased the sail area on the MkII, but I can't confirm that. All in all, a great boat with nice lines and a solid reputation. Good luck.

#5 ·
nomchang
Thanks. Turns out the Sabre we're interested in is the MKII, which we are happy about. Called Sabre today and they said everthing you said, plus you are correct about the sail area. We just made an offer and they accepted so we are very excited and can't wait for the spring. Thanks all for responses.
TD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.