Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Take the boat home

What are the economics of taking a boat home to sell it.
Leaving the boat at a marina with a broker is expensive as you have to pay dockage/storage which around here for 30' is at least 4,000 a year.

You can get it shipped to your backyard for maybe $600 if you don't live too far from the yard but there seems to be a lot of downsides.

1. You probably have to sell it yourself as the broker will not drive. That may be an advantage for some folks.
2. A potential buyer may be scared off as they would either have to skip a sea-trial or pay shipping two ways.
3. a potential buyer may feel empowered to ask for an lower price.

The upside is that it is easier to work on the boat.

What has been your experience?
Any other issues you can think of?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A boat on the hard (or in the yard) is going to be easier to thoroughly inspect/survey - that's a plus for a potential buyer - but obviously a sea trial would be a major obstacle.

Perhaps if it's a standard well known design (C27/30 etc) then a sea trial is a moot point anyway - few deals would likely go south on that item. If it's an unknown entity or a racier boat and a more conservative buyer then it'd be more of an issue.

Not sure a broker would care where the boat was.. plenty of brokers around here represent boats that are not in their own basins.

Since, as the seller you're not paying all that moorage, you might consider including transport and re-launch costs in the asking price - ie offer to "pay" those costs on an otherwise satisfactory deal. Even if you price the boat to try to compensate, the optics to the buyer are better (launch included!) It's also another negotiation point (... okay you can have it for that price but YOU pay for the mover...)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-10-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
As a buyer I preferred the boat on the hard. I bought a boat at a marina but did not require a sea trial. On the other hand that was a name brand boat it might be different if it was a custom boat or I was buying it for performance.
Old 11-11-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

How about a compromise, get the boat hauled, but leave it at a marina. The cost should be a lot less (around here I pay around $2K to have the boat hauled for the winter, stored, and launched in the spring). You or a broker can show the boat. Prospective buyers can get aboard and see everything. In case someone wants to buy it, they can do the survey with the boat hauled, and they still want it, it's easy to splash and launch.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2009

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
One other consideration.

Some people tend to wander around bopat yards looking for boats for sale. you will miss that traffic with it in your driveway. I agree that you should haul it and have for sale in the marina yard.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The first boat I ever bought was setting in along side of a house with a for sale sign on it. I just stopped to look.

Never Forgotten

Old 11-12-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

My neighbors love me

Your about right on the 600 truck part BUT unless you own the jackstands and they step the mast and haul the boat free theres a bit more money involved

You will be needing 7 X 115 dollar stands and it took about 900 at the boat yard to step haul and wash

So figure above 2 K

I am selling the J24 from home its way over on the left and as they have a good class sight and a following i get and inquirey allmost ever day and thats in november

I moved the boat home because the yard fees and rules about the work i need to do would have pushed the budget at least 5K UP

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 11-12-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Looking at the pic of the boat in your driveway, Im picture the pizza delivery guy clipping one of your stands on the way out.
Old 11-12-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Na we dont get delievery BUT is a PITA to move all the cars out of the driveway when i am working on the boat

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat