SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hunter 28.5? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/59726-hunter-28-5-a.html)

TakeFive 11-11-2009 04:36 PM

Hunter 28.5?

I got a call from a broker today who just got in a 1988 Hunter 28.5. He's pushing me to look at it right away because it "will sell real fast" because of its great condition. I'm going to take my time, because there are lots specimens of this boat out there. He does seem to have a good price on it vs. Catalinas, O'Days, and other production boats - but it's a Hunter, so that's what I would expect. (A quick check on Yachtworld puts the asking price about in the middle, but if the condition is as good as he says that would be a good price. I need to do more research on this.) He said it has had a complete epoxy barrier coating of the hull and (he thinks) the keel.

I've heard so many "things" about Hunters that I'm reluctant to even give it a look. We got on a couple that had real problems a few weeks ago, and that left a very bad impression, especially with my wife.

If you have good things to say to encourage me to look at this model of boat, please post them here. If you have bad things to warn me about, please send me a PM. (I don't want to start open Hunter bashing up here.) I'll be looking at some Hunter websites this evening.

deniseO30 11-11-2009 04:53 PM

Nah..hunters are good boats! many newer Hunters have Iron keels so the joint can be a bit of a prob down the road. Like Catalina they are still in biz.

MarkCK 11-11-2009 04:59 PM

Hunters get a bad rap, probably some of it deserved, but they are not bad boats. I think the newer ones are of better build quality than the old ones. Or maybe the problems just havent shown up due to the lack of age.

A visual inspection will tell you most of what you want to know about the boat.

sailingfool 11-11-2009 05:03 PM

Boat Review* by David Pascoe - Hunter 28

Commentary about this review can be found in other threads.

TakeFive 11-11-2009 05:31 PM

The Pascoe review was one of the first things I found. To be fair, he reviewed the 28, not the 28.5. How similar are the boats?

There is a part of me that says I would not buy any model of boat from someone who made such huge mistakes on another model, but not sure how fair that is.

My pet peeve is the swim ladder. The top rung is about 1" away from the stern, with no tread attached - just bare SS. Very easy to slip off, especially when wet. That bad impression was indelibly etched into my brain when I had to climb on one on the hard, 10' up from ground level on a rainy day. Scared the crap out of me. From pics on the web, it looks like they all have this problem.

tommays 11-11-2009 05:40 PM

Ya gotta read a lot of Pascoe and you will find he trashes anything the average person can afford

eMKay 11-11-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 540927)
Ya gotta read a lot of Pascoe and you will find he trashes anything the average person can afford

Yeah, and Fool up there likes to post this useless crap when anyone looks at ANY Hunter, I for one am tired of his BS, which is why I rarely even post here anymore.

As for the 28.5, I looked at a couple and it's still on my short list of boats for my next boat. It seems to be well built, roomy, and sails well.

deniseO30 11-11-2009 06:30 PM

swim ladders are easy to fix or modify. very easy. that's all?

Faster 11-11-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor (Post 540922)
...My pet peeve is the swim ladder. The top rung is about 1" away from the stern, with no tread attached - just bare SS. Very easy to slip off, especially when wet. .....

Yes, the 40 footer from the same era is the same too.... - but as Denise says, that's fixable and won't break the bank.

blt2ski 11-11-2009 07:37 PM

Dock and YC mate has one of this.....Frankly, they are VERY happy with there boat. Sails reasonably well, plenty of room etc.

Now a Hunter is not my 1st choice of boats..........but, it is not the boat brand of rumours etc that put it at the bottom of the pile. More the what type/style of boat I personally like......I prefer boats in the race/cruise category vs cruise category. A bit on the slow side, and I also like to race, not that one could not race a Hunter and be successful.

I also know of three others with Hunters from that era, ALL love their Hunters! If it will suit your needs, go for it. I also recall finding a "hunter owners" site/forum one time online also.

Marty