Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
I''m looking for opinions (of which I know there are many!) regarding the Morgan OI 41. First, I''m looking at the boats ranging from 1974 to 1977 (When Charley was making them, and also what seems to be defined my price range)

I''ve been doing a lot of research and have found quite a few people commenting on their sailling ability, both positive and negative, etc...some structural stuff, and liveability.

I''m planning on living aboard, going for week-long cruises around the W. Coast of FL , chartering it occasionally and eventually heading over to the Bahamas for a while. I''m not overly concerned with the "look" and to tell the truth, I don''t mind it actually. I also don''t mind motoring to windward if I have to. And from what I understand, they''re actually not slow boats from a beam to a broad reach, or downwind.

Just looking for opinions to support or refute, from those with experience on these particular boats. Any info is welcome...thanks in advance,

Rob Welling
S/V Barefoot Girl
Sarasota, FL

BTW, Barefoot Girl (1969 Morgan 33 Classic - not the OI) is up for sale - 19K. Anyone interested, drop me an e-mail robw_fl@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Let me see if I have this straight. You are saying that you really don''t care about build quality, appearance or sailing ability but you want an opinion of the early OI41''s. I guess if you don''t care about any of those then the OI 41 would be perfect for you.

If you did care about sailing ability (on any point of sail)and build quality, then perhaps you might want to look further.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2003

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
Jeff, thanks for the reply. Didn''t really mention build quality in my post, but I take it from your reply that you''re not overly confident w/the OI41. Duly noted. As for the aesthetic and windward performance issues, I was just trying to fend off some who might bring them up, as I know the OI doesn''t maintain the most graceful appearance in some people''s opinion, and doesn''t point as well some other boats, as a simple matter of fact.

With the number of OI41s built, and still around, I figured I might glean a little advice about anything else specific to them from the experienced group here on Sailnet, be it good, bad or ugly.. It would help "going in" as I look at these to know of any specific problem areas I might want to look for. To know if that particular boat is relatively comfortable in a decent blow offshore. To know opinions regarding ketch or sloop rigs on the OI. Anything really. That''s what I was after. Didn''t want to sound like I was answering my own questions.

Rob.
Old 01-10-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Rob, as you might be aware, Earl Hinz retired from Douglas Aircraft (later gobbled up by Boeing) as an Aeronautical Engineer and turned to full-time Pacific cruising on HORIZON, a OI-41 (yes, one of the "originals") in the late 70''s/early 80''s. He has written a series of books, including several that remain in print today and are highly regarded (e.g. Pacific Landfalls). He modified his OI41 extensively, in part becuase of the nature of Pacific cruising but in part because of what the boat needed. He was very fond of the boat and did not find it lacking for serious offshore cruising nor liveaboard comfort. You''re quite right - it''s one of those boats that requires an ''acquired taste'' and many scoff at it in the context of today''s (or even the 90''s) designs. OTOH you have somewhat restricted resources for somewhat expansive goals, and IMO you''re asking the right questions.

One especially interesting aspect of Earl''s original fitting out of the 41 was due to his many Pacific Cup races (to Hawaii from Long Beach) and his aeronautical training. He concluded the boat was sailing much more poorly than it had the ability to when across and on the wind, and concluded this was mostly due to the high aspect sail plan given the shallow keel. Look at the sail plan of an OI41 and note that tall, skinny main. He borrowed a Catalina 25 (I think) main, reverse hanked it as a mizzen staysail in lieu of flying his main, and did a series of careful trials in LA Harbor - with mizzen staysail/no main, and main/no mizzen staysail. It was pretty fascinating reading IMO and he ended up having 2 mizzen staysails cut, to serve in lieu of the main when they headed offshore. Many, many years later he sold the boat with the original main, essentially unused. He pointed higher, it was an easier sail to handle in some respects, and he made less leeway. I guess my point is that all of us can mull and deliberate and study and, eventually, come up with creative ways to mitigate a given boat''s "issues". If you get an OI41, contact me and I''ll send you a copy of the article. Good reading...

Jack
Old 01-17-2003

rleslie is on a distinguished road
What are the differences in the Morgan Classic 41 & the OI.
Old 01-17-2003

rleslie is on a distinguished road
Old 01-18-2003

mfatic is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine owned a mid-70s vintage OI 41 as a liveaboard in San Francisco. It worked well in that role until shortly after the birth of their first child. They came ashore and moved to SoCal in ''97, but they brought the boat down too.

I sailed with him on it over the next few years until he sold it. We did two Newport to Ensenada races and won the spinnaker cruising class in ''97. So much for OIs being slow. Now I have to admit, that race is downhill and we moved well in a good breeze with the chute.

She wasn''t very good on the wind, although replacing the line traveler with a track helped her pointing. I think her strong suite is comfortable cruising. If you like aft cabins, the OI''s is nice and roomy. My friend''s wife liked the portlights in the transom. I always thought it made her look like something Hornblower or Nelson might sail. <grin>

I don''t remember the boat having any particular problems related to build quality. The Perkins diesel always ran. My friend was pretty fastideous about maintenance of the working bits so I''m not surprised that she would always go where you pointed her without problems.

If you like Morgans and center cockpits, the OI might be the ticket for you.

Hope that helps.