Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

Question for all. Looking at two boats other than size they seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum of boats One a 27 Hunter 1983 and the other a 27 1986 compac the hunter is shoal draft and the compac is full keel draft 3''6". Going to use it as weekend sailor on the bay around middle penninsula virgina. Was construction of cheribinni hunters suitable for this and how does the glass stack up againest the other. The compac on the other hand sure is a neat little pocket cruiser that is reputed to be blue water capable. I see on this forum the disadvantage of full keels in light winds and inability to go to wind. Is the glass and construction that much better to justify the cost difference and (tounge in cheek)performance thanks to all in advance. KD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

Ken, Years ago I purchased a new Compac 19. I drove down to Clearwater to pick the boat up at the factory. The manager met me and took me through their facility,explaining every detail of how they build their boats.It was a very impressive construction process. After getting my boat, I was very happy with the quality,and sailing characteristics of her. I never had any problems with the boat over several years of sailing her. When I traded her in for a larger boat,she had held her value very well. As I think you mentioned, neither the Hunter or the Compac you are looking at are considered fast boats.But for build quality,and a good solid pocket cruiser,I don''t think you could go wrong with a Compac. I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
To buy or not?

Agree with Stede that the Com Pac is the better built of the two. years ago when I was first looking at boats I was intrigued with the Hunter 27, until I found out it doesn''t have a very good reputation under sail, or for build quality. I eventually bought a Pearson 27, which I still own and am very happy with. Thought I''d put in a plug as well. I sail out of the Patapsco River down stream from Baltimore. Any of these boats will do well in the Chesapeake.
Old 01-13-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

Although I have never sailed one and only read about the quality of the compac I have looked at a few I was impressed with the Quality finish inside and out I have also looked at Pearsons in the 27 ft range 1986,1987 models in the past they seem to have a pretty deep draft 4''10" are there some out there with shoal draft my wife thinks the interior is great oh well I do get to sail them I seem to be drawn to shallow water like a magnet. The older pearsons have nice lines but I have to admit I''m afraid of the atomic bomb 4 and I do like opening ports for ventilation, If you know of any good ones for sale let me know thanks kd
Old 01-13-2003
Senior Moment

To buy or not?

My boat is known as the P-27II that came out in late 1987 into early 1988. it draws 3''4" with a winged keel. About 230 were sold before Pearson went belly up in 1991. Check it out. Nice boat for the bay. (I do know of one for sale, but it''s in Wisconsin. Yachtworld has a others listed of course.)
Old 01-13-2003

msl is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

What are the fundamental differences between a Cherubini Hunter and any other from the same era (I know what the modern ones are like)?
MSL
Old 01-13-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

KenD, I was trying to remember the name of the Com-pac dealer that helped me get my boat when I responded to your post earlier today.I''m afraid Ole Capt.Morgan has plummaged to many brain cells over the years.Anyway,I think the name of the yard is "Ferdinand''s Marine",and it''s located on a major river inlet in Mass.I imagine they have a website by now.They handle new and used Com-pacs. If you''re still considering pursuing the Com-pac, and are close to Mass., you might want to look them up. I dealt with a guy named "Howie." He''s a real stand up guy and will help you find what you are looking for.
Old 01-13-2003

sprega is on a distinguished road
To buy or not?

KenD...
Please don''t let an Atomic Four put you off from a boat. A well maintained A4, espesially a fresh water cooled one, is a fine engine. I have owned three boat with them. Two were Tartan 30s. You might want to look for a Tartan 27. They are getting older, but are quality boats. Being center boarders, they may meet your draft requirements and the sail pretty darn well. What ever you decide, good luck and have fun
Sprega
Old 01-13-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
To buy or not?

Franly, having spent some time around Compac''s of the mid-1980''s and and early 1980''s Hunter 27''s, I would venture that the Hunter is probably the better constructed of the two and offers better sailing characteristics altough similar speed. I know that there is a generally held belief that anything built by Hunter was not very well constructed. This is not the case with these early 1980''s era boats.

Its not that the Hunter is perfect. Like the Compac the original hardware was a little undersized.

There is a popular misconception that the 27 was a Cheribini design. Based on an interview with Hunter a few years back, Cheribini only designed the 37 and 30. Near as I have been able to tell, he did some sketches for the 25, 27 and 33 but did not actually do their final design.

The Hunter 27 would be a good boat for the Chesapeake. The Compac is less suitable for our light air. BTW I would not call the Compac a full keel, just a slightly longer fin keel with a spade rudder. Also both boats are intended as coastal cruisers rather than intended to spend extended periods offshore.

Jeff
Old 01-17-2003
Senior Moment

To buy or not?

I finally had some time to dig out some items of interest about the Hunter and Com Pac 27''s: Despite what one may think just looking at these boats, the Hunter outweighs the Com Pac by 1,000 lbs and has less sail area and a shorter LWL. Then again, the Hunter''s PHRF is slightly better (219 vs. 225 for the Com Pac) although some shoal draft Hunter 27''s also are rated 225.

For the Hunter''s, watch out for underpowered boats. Some of them on Yachtworld have 7.5-8 HP diesels for a 7,000 lb boat. Not very good.

As Jeff points out, the Hunter is not a Cherubini design. It appears to be an inhouse Hunter effort. The Com Pac was designed by Bob Johnson of Island Packet fame (and the numbers reflect his philosophy of boat design -- wide and slow.)

And not that build quality and price have any relationship to one another, but the Com Pac will cost you considerably more than the Hunter.

On the whole, my Pearson 27 (PHRF 204) still looks like a buy, but I''m biased.