Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009

Nitefly is on a distinguished road
Jeff- thank you for the survey contacts and your point of view on these boats

Thanks for the information everyone. I made an offer on the Tartan, but I have competition. We'll see! If this one doesn't work out, the Paceship is still in the water... Ill take the whole family down and try out the space.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the mere mention of the A4 can get some very "passionate" responses. There are posts all over the boards about them and how they drag the price of really good boats down to give away prices.
Personally I don't want gasoline anywhere near me when on the water. I see allot of power boats go by and the raw gas smell alone scares me! vapors in closed spaces or compartments = disaster (imho) But on the other hand, who actually has had A4 blow up?
Dropping a keel is not all that hard it's the cost that would worry me. From what I understand yards don't like to tie up the travel lift while the keel is off the boat. Heck, if you get a boat that is pristine in every other way (I've actually considered this) you can repower with die$sel! Still though, there are hundreds, thousands? of boats out there with diesels that are cheap enough.
Maryland sailboats for sale by owner.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-08-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: ck this
Old 12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
the mere mention of the A4 can get some very "passionate" responses. There are posts all over the boards about them and how they drag the price of really good boats down to give away prices.
Personally I don't want gasoline anywhere near me when on the water. I see allot of power boats go by and the raw gas smell alone scares me! vapors in closed spaces or compartments = disaster (imho) But on the other hand, who actually has had A4 blow up?
Dropping a keel is not all that hard it's the cost that would worry me. From what I understand yards don't like to tie up the travel lift while the keel is off the boat. Heck, if you get a boat that is pristine in every other way (I've actually considered this) you can repower with die$sel! Still though, there are hundreds, thousands? of boats out there with diesels that are cheap enough.
Maryland sailboats for sale by owner.
Thanks Denise. This boat is inexpensive enough that if I have to put a new diesel in it, it would bring it in line with many other boats of the same model price wise. In fact, Ill plan on that down the road, but I'll try the A4 for now. I'll find out in a few hours... eck.. butterflies in the stomach! Thanks for the link too. I hadn't seen this site yet.
Old 12-08-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Mistake one! getting emotional over a boat! detach detach be objective.. remember it's a buyers market! good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
My tartan 30 had an A4 for years. It finally died when the cooling circiut rusted up and it would overheat (it did not have a heat exchanger). I now have a 3 cyl universal diesel which has proven to be very reliable. I think your plan to live with the A4 for now is a good one as long as you understand the safety measures involved and keep it well maintained. I hope you get the boat, we love ours.
Old 12-08-2009

Offer accepted on the Tartan. Got a dinghy too! Now... on to the survey. Perhaps I'll see some of you on the West river next spring!
Old 12-08-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Nitefly,

Congratulations!

Be sure and let us know the surveyor's assessment of the keel/hull joint.

Last edited by wwilson; 12-08-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Geeze you guys are tough. I bought a 25' that is rated to sleep 5 (this was back in 1969 when everyone smoked and weighed 110 lbs). I know that in today's reality that's really more like 4 people.

For the OP's stated purpose of weekend cruising with 2 teens, the 26' would have worked. Not to mention, as one of the other posters stated, the teens aren't likely to come out every time, especially when they see the amount of work involved, like loading, stowing, mooring, clean-up afterwards, etc, to say nothing of the work required to actually operate the boat.
Old 12-15-2009

The survey was completed this morning. There were a couple of things: muffler and exhaust hose on the engine, and one major issue - a 7' x 1.5' section of the deck under the starboard genoa track was soft.

Is this deck issue as serious as it sounds? I am about ready to walk away from this one, but the surveyor did say many other aspects of the boat (hull and interior) were very well cared for and in good shape.

If nothing else, I accompanied the surveyor all morning and got a good lesson on how to inspect the next one.
Old 12-15-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
The survey was completed this morning. There were a couple of things: muffler and exhaust hose on the engine, and one major issue - a 7' x 1.5' section of the deck under the starboard genoa track was soft.

Is this deck issue as serious as it sounds? I am about ready to walk away from this one, but the surveyor did say many other aspects of the boat (hull and interior) were very well cared for and in good shape.

If nothing else, I accompanied the surveyor all morning and got a good lesson on how to inspect the next one.
A deck repair is not a trivial matter...but in the big picture of an older boat, one, limited issue like amounts to "almost new". Most any boat will have survey issues, most will have a lot. Sounds like you are starting in reasonably good shape, a limited deck repair like this is only some $$$$ money, get a good yard to quote for you...more likely than not the seller will end up eating most or all of a repair like this. You found it, so will the next buyer, so the seller needs to deal with it. You now have more information, no reason not to move ahead if otherwise an attractive boat.

Just curious, what did the surveyor say about the keel "crack"?