Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009

Nitefly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
A deck repair is not a trivial matter...but in the big picture of an older boat, one, limited issue like amounts to "almost new". Most any boat will have survey issues, most will have a lot. Sounds like you are starting in reasonably good shape, a limited deck repair like this is only some $$$$ money, get a good yard to quote for you...more likely than not the seller will end up eating most or all of a repair like this. You found it, so will the next buyer, so the seller needs to deal with it. You now have more information, no reason not to move ahead if otherwise an attractive boat.

Just curious, what did the surveyor say about the keel "crack"?
Thanks. The keel turned out to be a non-issue. He said it was just fairing and that the keel was probably rebedded at one point before. I did get one quote on the decking fix from a boatyard for $4200 (this was a ball park, they still need to actually go see the boat). The surveyor said it would be approximately 5k. Of note, my offer for the boat was 8k so this does add a bit. I'm pretty sure the seller is not going to deduct 4k from the price so if I want to pursue this boat, I may need to pay most of this repair on my own. I informed the seller of the issue and that I would make some phone calls and talk to some people and we could work on were to go from there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2009

Beshert is on a distinguished road
My first post also!! AND...I may have the very boat for you!!

Greetings "Nitefly" (from Upstate NY),
I read your posting regarding interest in a possible purchase of a PY-26.

I have been a PY-26 owner for the past 20 years, and now am looking to sell my baby. We are simply not sailing enough these days to make it worthwhile.

She is a 1979 PY-26 in very good condition with an outboard motor. I have two Dacron Mains, headsails of various sizes, and 2 spinakers. New Harkin hardware, lines, winches, tools, and too many other things to list unless interested. If so, then of course a complete accounting of everything would be provided in addition to all services, repairs, etc, etc....

She has been on Canandaigua Lake (one of the Finger Lakes) for her entire life, and has always been moored at the Canandaigua Yacht Club. Lovingly maintained, it will be hard to give her up as I met my wife on the foredeck......and proposed the following year! But, you know how it goes.....change happens.

Anyway, I cannot say enough about this boat. It is a dream to sail!! There is almost never a wind to strong, and she responds like a dream! Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like more information.....or you would like to come and see her. Presently, she is dry docked at the club.

You can reach me via this forum, or
Cell: 585-747-0610

Hope to hear from you,
Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-21-2009

drdkdover is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I own a PY26

I own a PY26, and would at least put my hand up and say it's a great boat. Very Solid, sails well in all conditions, and if it is one of the original PaceSHip's (Gold Anodized Mast) it is a very solidly constructed boat. I can't speak for the AMF (Black ANodized Mast) I know the AMF boats don't have the impeccable reputation the older boats have. It is one of the biggest, roomiest 26ft boats around, was one of the fastest boats at our club, under the former captain (I'm not much of a racer), rather comfortable for 4 people and hasn't really cost me much of anything the first year (It was very well maintained over the past few years, and I have a log of all the paperwork thru the years!) Stays fairly dry, with the weak spot around the Mast thru deck, (The Mast is Keel Stepped- rare for a 26ft) I'll vouch for this boat, and wouldn't think twice about spending some $$$$ to prepare for Island Hopping!
Old 12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdkdover View Post
I own a PY26, and would at least put my hand up and say it's a great boat. Very Solid, sails well in all conditions, and if it is one of the original PaceSHip's (Gold Anodized Mast) it is a very solidly constructed boat. I can't speak for the AMF (Black ANodized Mast) I know the AMF boats don't have the impeccable reputation the older boats have. It is one of the biggest, roomiest 26ft boats around, was one of the fastest boats at our club, under the former captain (I'm not much of a racer), rather comfortable for 4 people and hasn't really cost me much of anything the first year (It was very well maintained over the past few years, and I have a log of all the paperwork thru the years!) Stays fairly dry, with the weak spot around the Mast thru deck, (The Mast is Keel Stepped- rare for a 26ft) I'll vouch for this boat, and wouldn't think twice about spending some $$$$ to prepare for Island Hopping!

Thanks drdkdover. It looks like the Tartan is not going to work out (seller won't split repair of the deck cost) so I may be looking at the Paceship again. I am going to go look at a Pearson Ariel as well. Do you have to do any special maintenance for the iron keel? This paceship has the black anodized mast.
Old 12-21-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
Thanks drdkdover. It looks like the Tartan is not going to work out (seller won't split repair of the deck cost) so I may be looking at the Paceship again. I am going to go look at a Pearson Ariel as well. Do you have to do any special maintenance for the iron keel? This paceship has the black anodized mast.
A WISE decision to walk on the Tartan. The only way I'd make a deck repair of that magnitude is to do it myself. It's not rocket science, but the repair is TIME consuming and at the yard rates of today, could be a hard hit to the wallet. Too many good boats out there to deal with such problems.
Old 12-22-2009

drdkdover is on a distinguished road
So far I haven't had any special maintenance, the paint is bubbling up a bit at the seam, It has hard bottom paint on it that I'm gonna have to sand down anyway, so I'll sand it all down on the keel and see what the situation is, but I've been assured a bit of epoxy here and there won't be a problem, as long as the bolts are in good shape.. I try to keep the bilge as dry as I can and spray them with WD40 from time to time to keep them clean. The AMF boats were made from the same molds and all, they just made a few design changes. there's a ton of info at www dot paceship dot org, including a history and specs and all that.... AMF sold the molds to Tanzer I believe in the early 80's and came out with the Tanzer 27, based on the PY26. The AMF and the original Paceship should be comparable in quality I suppose, I just no that AMF has had reputation issues with other products, and they almost killed Harley Davidson, which is reason for some of the stigma.. If it feels like a solid boat, it probably is. The former owner of mine, sold it to get an Erickson 32, the "Bigger Boat" for bigger, longer cruising, but man, I think he still misses the PY26, and to be honest, his new one isn't that much roomier all around.......
Old 12-22-2009

Thanks for the advice all. The Tartan owner came down another 2.5k in price after all. That put it in the range that my surveyor called a good deal so I agreed. I also got a kayak thrown in! Next up will be my list of projects for this boat:
1. Fix the deck - I will hire this out.
2. Add shore power
3. Add 30W Solar Panel
4. Roller Furling Head Sail
5. Auto Pilot

The A4 was in good shape so I hope to get several years out of it! Man, buying a boat is so much more dramatic than buying a car!