Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009

plethora68 is on a distinguished road
Buying a new (used) boat

I am looking for a boat that will fit many purposes. I have a cash budget of about $50,000. I am going to moor it on the Columbia River near Portland Oregon. I have a family and would like a very stable boat from 32 to 38 feet in length. I would like a boat that has a full keel, and is very seaworthy. I plan on taking it across the Columbia River Bar and then sailing it North to Puget Sound and the inside passage during the summer months.

I have previously owned and sailed many boats. My last boat was a Kettenburg K 38 from 1953. It was very fast, but also very wet. I have been looking at a few distinct designs, but have not sailed them. One is the Tayana 37. It looks like a nice boat, very seaworthy, but also very heavy. I have also looked at the Hunter H 34, it seems quick, but a bit tender. I want something nimble, but also super seaworthy and able to handle serious seas and take the pounding. Having looked at the Hunter I am skeptical. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Yes, I would love a Hallberg Rassy or a Hans Christian, but they are pricey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Seems you are all over the place really...You want full keel yet your looking at a Hunter?

Not a bad boat just different in your parameters is all...personally I think there are many boats to fit the bill.

Whats your ultimate goal?..will you be leaving it in Puget Sound or making the trip back and forth every year?

Welcome Aboard by the way..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 12-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, Welcome to Sailnet.

Still's right, you need to focus on what you REALLY want/need. There's probably no need to go serious full keel/bluewater for what you're planning.. and a more responsive boat will serve you better in BC, esp in summertime.

If you eventually hope to sail further afield then that's a different story. In the $50K range and mid 30s feet there should be a fair selection for you to sift through of whichever type of boat you ultimately go after. You would appear to have the experience to make those judgments.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-10-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
My brother lives up that way in Juneau. He sailed his boat up there from Seattle. He reported having to motor a good portion of the way. A heavy, full-keel boat might end up doing more motoring up there than you'd like.
Old 12-12-2009

Thanks for the replies. I guess that my knowledge has been stymied by the fact that I have spent so much of my sailing time bouncing from San Pedro to Catalina. The K 38 was a beauty to sail, but it was a tremendous money pit. Also, it had a full keel and would easily outrun a Hunter 34. It was a good match-up for a Catalina 38. I plan on sailing wherever my mood takes me. I definitely will be hitting the inside passage quite a bit, because that is a beautiful place to sail. I would love to sail from the sound up to Hyder Alaska. I guess I am really confused and probably will end up buying something larger in order to get the speed to go with the safety. I have thought of doing some financing and buying a CT 54. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2009

Here is the boat I would really love to have. This one is advertised for $139,000 but comes with everything and may be what I want to go for. Let me know what you think. I would be sailing this with my wife and two kids.

1977 43 foot Hans Christian
Old 12-12-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well plan an a lot of motoring... you have picked one of the solidest/heaviest full keel Blue water boats made.....you still didn't answer some of our questions...whats the plan?...leaving it in Puget Sound?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 12-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2009

gr8trn is on a distinguished road
Plethora,
there is a 38' Hans Christian 1980, Ingrid 34 ketch, and Coast Cutter34 at Passion Yachts in PDX that you may or not have seen yet! All over $50k but you never know!
Old 12-13-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A full keel heavier boat can be just as fast as a fin keel boat and the heavier boat will carry momentum through rough stuff better than a light boat. More comfortable as well.
try this one 1978 Spencer 1330 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
or this one 1976 Spencer S-1330 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
The Spencer 1330 is a heavier fin keel boat with the rudder on a skeg.
Spencer Yachts is a very respected builder in B.C. The late Hal Roth's Whisper was a smaller Spencer 35
Here's a site where you can find out more (but this one is not for sale)
Prairie Dust
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a new (used) boat-1.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 12-13-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add