Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sailingdog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009

costaricanwannabe is on a distinguished road
Telstar 28 - Bahamas/Caribbean cruiser?

I am considering taking a Telstar 28 trimaran to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean. Has anyone taken a Telstar 28 to the Bahamas or the Caribbean? I know I would have to wait for a good weather window to go offshore. Does anyone have experience with this trimaran offshore? If caught in bad weather, how well would the boat handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Sailingdog should chip in soon - he has one and never misses a chance to talk about her. Boats with training wheels...
Old 12-13-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Sailingdog should chip in soon - he has one and never misses a chance to talk about her. Boats with training wheels...
I think you mean water wings.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 12-13-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Whatever - you were fast. Must have been sitting with fingers poised. How are the plans coming?
Old 12-13-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Whatever - you were fast. Must have been sitting with fingers poised. How are the plans coming?
No to thread jack but they are coming along nicely... I am a meticulous person though, my float plan has evolved into a 50 page itinerary. Worst thing on a boat? A schedule from what I have been told...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 12-13-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Wow. A 50 page float plan. Good luck having fun!
Old 02-22-2010

twodogs is on a distinguished road
Not to re-hijack, but does anyone know the price range of used Telstar 28s? I see $60k or so for a 2005 online, but I'm not sure whether that's set in hope or expectation.
Old 02-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn, not sure how I missed this thread, other than being busy delivering a sailboat when it was posted.....

The Telstar 28 would be a good choice. One of the owners of a Telstar 28 took the boat from St. Petersburg, FL, down into the Caribbean and east, south a bit and then west back through the Caribbean. Then he went to Honduras and the boat last I heard was in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. The total trip over the course of a summer and fall was 3500 NM., and a good portion of that was single handed.

As pointed out by the leadmine owning trolls above, I do know a bit about the boat, as I own a 2006 one... mine is probably the best known and most heavily modified of all the Telstar 28s out there. I think it is a fantastic boat and I've sailed mine in some pretty nasty conditions. I've got some video of my boat up on Youtube... here's one of them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricanwannabe View Post
I am considering taking a Telstar 28 trimaran to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean. Has anyone taken a Telstar 28 to the Bahamas or the Caribbean? I know I would have to wait for a good weather window to go offshore. Does anyone have experience with this trimaran offshore? If caught in bad weather, how well would the boat handle it?
It depends. Most multihulls, including the Geminis from PCI, hold their value quite well. The Telstar is a fairly new boat and doesn't have much of a track record for sales, as it has only been out since 2004, but given how the Geminis have done, I'd expect them to hold their value fairly well.

Does the one in the ad have the mast raising system or not? Most of the boats have it, but a few, mainly the prototypes that were sold off a few years ago, do not. The mast raising system is a key to the value of the Telstar 28 IMHO, since it does allow you to step and unstep the mast single-handedly.

If the boat has the mast raising system, the 20 HP outboard, and the "deluxe" package with the full galley and marine head, then $60,000 isn't too unreasonable a price, depending on the condition of the boat and how well it was maintained.

I'd also point out that the Telstar 28 does give you a lot for the money, even at new prices. The Corsair 28 sells for a bit more than the Telstar 28 but does not have the amenities or standing headroom found on the Telstar 28.

If you want to know more about the boat, I'd highly recommend you read my blog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
Not to re-hijack, but does anyone know the price range of used Telstar 28s? I see $60k or so for a 2005 online, but I'm not sure whether that's set in hope or expectation.
Joephoto114 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-22-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.