SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Any suggestions...??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/60569-any-suggestions.html)

SailorClint 12-15-2009 08:19 PM

Any suggestions...???

Looking for new ideas for my next boat. I have some ideas based on my research, but don't want to bias anyone as I am curious what you all might recommend that perhaps I haven't thought of...

Type of hull: Monohull
Length: 35-40'
Crew: Singlehanded with WOL (woman of leisure). However want the boat to be able to accomodate the occasional 2-3 guests for a daysail or weekend trip.
Type of sailing: (here's where it gets tough) Mostly coastal cruising along gulf of Mexico & east coast, but want to safely be able to make extended cruises throughout entire caribbean, Bermuda, and South America. Also, want to be able to make daysails in hometown of Pensacola.
The Rub: I know I can't have it all, but... I am looking for a boat that isn't such a pig that it is uncomfortable to make daysails and island hop in the caribbean, but yet sturdy enough to feel safe making a bluewater trip to Bermuda or the southern part of the caribbean when I want to. Any thoughts??

mitiempo 12-16-2009 11:14 PM

Budget?

blt2ski 12-17-2009 09:24 PM

Name a boat brand, and what you want to do will do it. Be it a Hunter, Beneteau, jeanneau, Oyster, swan etc. Too many doing what you are doing with just about ANY boat from the mid 30' range on up.

If leasure is the thing, the newer design deck salons seem to be the some what rage. Not my cup o tea, prefer the non DS models.

With guests, I would choose one of the three room setups vs my prefered choice of a 2 room, ie V berth and rear state room with a large storage under the cockpit seats. The 3 room versions you loose the storage area.......and the head area is (typically) smaller.

I like the jeanneau's, bendys in the first series is prefered, Catalina......not sure I would want a Bendy oceanus series. No hunters for different reasons shapes or forms, but everyone I know with them like them, just personal preferences I do not like about them, similar to the B OCeanus series vs first series. Sailing among others not to my stds, ie slower than I like for the given size. Dehler, Dufour, Island packet, to name a few others that would work. The IP's again would be ruled out due to slower than I like sailing stds.........good boats...........

Just my 01 not that it is worth much.

chall03 12-17-2009 10:13 PM

Hey Blt2ski,

Curious why are you anti Bendy oceanis?? Just because they are slower boats than the firsts??

blt2ski 12-17-2009 10:18 PM

Chall,

Basic issue along with I do not like the looks. REmind me too much of the Bayliner Buccaneers I saw growing up here. Even the new jeanneaus are getting that look.

Otherwise, no issues with them. All personal likes and dislikes. They are a good boat for some, not others.........They would work for what OP wants to do, not my first choice.

Marty

tidewaterv 07-18-2013 08:13 PM

Re: Any suggestions...???

some c&c 38s or c&c 40s would more than do the job....older 1970 models preferable ..customize to your requirements.....have cruised carolinas as well carib with these...add dodger bimini canvas as you wish...older that need new engine great buys new diesel can be very reasonable...can drive these boats with low power high torque diesel to hull speed with 25 to 30 hp engine...very reliable &fuel efficient

chuck53 07-18-2013 08:38 PM

Tidewaterv, this is a 4 year old thread and the OP's last post. I'm guessing he hasn't been on SN in a long time.

dave6330 07-25-2013 03:41 PM

Aware that this is an older thread, but it parallels a similar search I am currently making. Also recommend reading the thread "buying a cruiser'.

Still researching....

V/R

Dave

tidewaterv 07-26-2013 01:52 PM

with low power newer diesel engines much better torque which is what really pushes you thru water..a number of us have switched to universal newer.. 25 hp diesel we have all found better fuel mileage plus some improvement in noise...42ft boats ..about 12 tons .with clean racing hulls ,all very satisfied another reason to consider older hull which needs new engine ....many c&c 35s mark i are examples ....if also need hull topside paint can be real bargin