Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009

Lyttlebyrd is on a distinguished road
Actual Selling Price

My wife and I are hunting for a boat in the 33 - 36 range and we're willing to spend a fair amount of money - up to $85,000 (that's CDN folks). But the asking prices for boats seems to be awfully high. I know, there's nothing from stopping me making a low offer. However, I've been reading the boat reviews on Sailnet and almost without fail the owners think their boat is great - and the price they paid is rarely (I've only seen one) given. Apparently, Yachtworld is offering a new service that provides actual selling prices, but it's a service that costs. Why is it that we are so reticent to provide the actual price we paid? We've owned two boats - both of which we used extensively along the BC & Washington coast. A Cascade 29 - homebuilt - we paid $10,000; my wife did not like the boat, I did - but it certainly had its drawbacks, it was a good starter - in the end, we donated the boat to a charity for the tax deduction. Our second was a Santana 30 - we paid $30,000 for it - clean, comfortable, strong, easy to sail, excellent for the two of us and the two young ones (g'children) that we used to drag along. My wife liked this boat, so did I. We probably overpaid for it, but we kept it in good shape and sold it for $29,000 (minus the broker's commission). Anyway, I recommend that people put the actual purchase or selling price in their reviews - surely it would help both buyer's and sellers.
That's my $0.02 (CDN)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
I paid 325$ and had a guy the other day try and give 3k for my boat. I would sell it right now for 5k Dan[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-22-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Dan
Doubt anyone on Sailnet would give you close to 5k as we know what you paid for it.
Old 12-22-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'looks like the price is right, but give us a better photo. There's a little sailboat on your bow that's blocking our view!
Old 12-22-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
That's funny.
Dan
Best to take a pic without a boat in the background.
Old 12-23-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

500 dollars BUT im pretty sure this wont help as in your budget you should be able to by a boat in PERFECT condition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I think that service is aimed at brokers and surveyors. I was able to get a sight of the prices for a type of boat I was looking at and it was very illuminating. Actual deal prices were much lower than the inflated asking prices I had been seeing.

Also it was very noticeable that prices had fallen significantly over the last 3 years.
Old 12-23-2009

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Bird

The way I see it the original purchase price has nothing to do with the asking price. As a buyer you should do your own research and know what a boat is worth in good, fair and poor condition. As a seller you should know the same and know which category your boat falls in.

I know this is not everyone's view but these boats belong to the sellers not the potential buyers. They can ask whatever they want for the boat since they own it.

Seriously I think a lot of people are not that anxious to sell so list at top dollar and will sell only if they get close to their asking price. I expect a number of others are always expecting to receive 10% under asking.

In the photos above I am certain the boats were purchased for very low prices but that an awful lot of refurbishment was done. these boats would have moved from "poor" or "fair" to "good" or "above average" categories and their prices would change accordingly.

If the seller is asking too much then look for another boat. I really don't see the problem.

Mike

Old 12-23-2009

Lyttlebyrd is on a distinguished road
To Tommays - I checked out you site - that's one heck of a project. Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?
I'm curious about the trailer, is it a rental or do you own it? Boat prices in the East tend to be lower than out West - did you transport the boat yourself?
Old 12-23-2009
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Hmph! Well I bought my C-27 1980 for $900 with 3 sails and a running A-4 BUT I have put over $5000 into it last 2 years and that does NOT include all my labor (them $$'s just parts people) I would let it go for $5000.01 and not a penny less!. Blue book is double almost.

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....