Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009

S2Sailor1954 is on a distinguished road
Globe yacht Building CO, LTD

Sorry if this is a second post. Somehow the first one I started just evaporated. Anyway, has anyone heard of the Globe yacht Building CO? They were supposedly out of Taiwan. I have found a 38' double ended tiller steered, full encapsulated keel 1979 Globe possibly for sale. I'd like to find out more about these boats. The one I'm looking at appears to have a design that would be seaworthy, based on my unskilled eye. She supposedly displaces 32,000. Beam is 11' and she’s rigged as a cutter. I believe the model number for this boat is a GY38-TC or GY38-PH.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

One more bit of information on these boats. I believe the designer may have been William Garden.

Last edited by S2Sailor1954; 12-27-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Adding information left out of first post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's another to check out, confirms designer..

1983 Globe Pilothouse Ketch sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Not sure if this applies to this particular model, but some of the Taiwan built boats had glass hulls and plywood/glass decks and houses... might want to watch for that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2010

S2Sailor1954 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for help

Looks like this is the same hull. I suspect that they may have had different rigs on the same hull as several builders did. The one I'm looking at is a cutter, but the rest of the description sounds very similar. Thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2011

lyleg is on a distinguished road
I knew a family, Frank and Sina Jordan and their sons, who travelled to Taiwan to pick up their boat, a 42 foot ketch, and sail it all the way back to Coeyman's Hollow, NY. I was living in Santa Barbara at the time. They lived aboard the whole trip, and eventually made it back home. The company must have done something right. This was back in 1980, I believe.
Old 11-10-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
That Globe model was based upon William Garden's SEAL design. It was a take off on the Colin Archer theme. I had a friend who had one. Globe was not the best builder in Taiwan but I know of no specific issues with their boats.

This particular boat would be a very sedate sailer but it has an uncommon amount of interior volume.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-13-2013

bletso is on a distinguished road
Re: Globe yacht Building CO, LTD

We own a 1979 globe 38 rigged as a Cutter/ketch. It is undergoing a refit at the moment I have a blog on the refit can't list it yet ...sailboatvigah... Very solidly built below the waterline. Heavy boat 32000 lbs empty Lots of teak and pretty woodwork.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.