Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
That's a nice lookin marina, CapnA... I live in South Jersey at the moment and although I'm probably a good number of year from actual boat ownership, I like to look into things like where to keep the boat once I do buy. I googled directions to that marina from my house and it's about the same as you, 50 or so miles. It seems like that's about as far north as marinas get on the Chesapeake. If you don't mind me asking, what do they charge for a season?

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010

CapnA is on a distinguished road
Kevin -

Thanks for your comments. It is a nice place, and the people are really friendly and approachable. As you mentioned, it is about as north as you can get in the Chesapeake. We even have a decent racing scene, which includes all skill levels from first time racers (and sailors) to boats that have won hardware in the Governer's Cup.

Frankly, I had never heard of the town North East until I found my first boat there. I am glad that I did, because it really is the closest sailable part of the Chesapeake to my home. (It's also nice because we can sail right off the docks. No need to motor down the river to get to the bay before you can hoist the sails!)

The rates are fairly reasonable. A yearly membership is $600. If you keep your boat there, the slips range from $1760/year for a 20' slip, $2680 for a 30' slip, up to $4400 for a 50' slip. (The prices are hidden somewhere on the website).

If you are interested, try coming down for a visit when the weather turns warm. Sail race days are usually good a good time. They run on Saturdays starting in May. You can either contact me off line, or just show up at the club. As I mentioned, the people are really friendly.
Old 03-02-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Rhythm
Congratulations on the boat purchase (pending survey).
The offer to assist moving from Riverside to Essington still stands, but I will be in BVI first two weeks of April, maybe the third week also if I can.
Which Essington marina will you be at?
Check saltwatertides.com for tide at Rancocas NJ (near Riverside) and Billingsport NJ (across the river from Essington) and try and schedule the departure for 1hr before high tide at Rancocas, this should get you to Essington at the beginning of low slack tide.
First time arrival at Essington is best done at slack tide, then practice your docking at different tidal currents until comfortable with the 6 knot plus peak current.
If you arrive before slack the first time, just grab a vacant outer "T" or Ancorage Marina fuel dock until the current eases.
Old 03-03-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I'm glad you have a sense of humour, RD. And I am glad you are enjoying the boat search.
The Cheaspeake is great, but don't overlook the advantages of having a slip close to home.

First things first: Find the right boat for you, then decide where to keep it. and then enjoy the hell out of it.
Congrats on joing the Catalina fleet.

Just as commentary, for those of us used to commuting over an hour to work, 90 minutes to the boat doesn't seem like a big deal, even for a daysail.

For the past 5 years, I've driven over 4 hours down to our boat, but this year we've finally reached our limit and are moving to a marina that will be about 1.5 hours from home and less than that if I were to leave from work. For us, this will be huge, since we usually spend Friday and Saturday nights on the boat every time we go. I'm thinking I may even do a few week long visits and commute to work from the boat this summer to help me rationalize the slip costs. lol

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-03-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnA View Post
...If/when you decide to move down to the Chesapeake, take a look at NERYC. It's only a 50 minute drive from door to door. In the summer, I can leave work at 4:00 PM and still get a few hours of sailing in before dark. The club has nice new floating docks, and the facilities are pretty decent...
Thanks for the suggestion. Since I work in Wilmington, Northeast is even closer for me. I had not previously considered the Northeast river because that part of the Bay looks too shallow north of Turkey Point. But after looking at the chart again, there looks to be a couple miles of sailable water north of Carpenter Point. So you could do short sails in the river itself, or motor the 6 miles down the channel past Turkey Point for a full day and/or weekend, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Since I work in Wilmington, Northeast is even closer for me. I had not previously considered the Northeast river because that part of the Bay looks too shallow north of Turkey Point. But after looking at the chart again, there looks to be a couple miles of sailable water north of Carpenter Point. So you could do short sails in the river itself, or motor the 6 miles down the channel past Turkey Point for a full day and/or weekend, right?
For reasons that I don't fully understand, the North East River seems to be secret to people in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. North East has a great crabhouse ("Woody's") where cold beer and hot crabs make a great end of a day on the water. However, the area doesn't get a lot of press, so a lot of people don't realize that the depth is not as much of an issue as it may appear. It really is the closest direct access to the Chesapeake. If you look at the charts, there are some well delineated areas that are shallow. My former boat (Cal 25) had 4' draft, and I could sail pretty much all around the North East River. My current boat draws 5'8", and there are some areas that I avoid at low tide. However, I never felt that draft was much of a problem. The shallow areas are well marked on the charts, and it is easy to pick a course for a daysail that avoids them. The prevailing winds blow out of the Southwest, so we typically have a nice close-hauled course down Turkey Point, and return on a broad reach/run. It makes for great daysailing. The river is actully quite wide, so I don't feel "constrained" when we daysail.

As far as overnighting is concerned, we motor or sail (depending upon the wind) down Turkey point and the Upper Bay is right there. We typically take short overnight cruises down to Still Pond or the Sassafrass. St. Michaels/Baltimore/Annapolis can be done in a day, but it is a longer haul to get down there.

If/when you decide that you want to keep your boat on the Chesapeake, I would definitely recommend you consider North East. It may or may not be right for you, but it is close. Shoot me an email off line if you ever want to come down and take a look at our club. The are also several other marinas in the area, so we are not the only game in town.
Old 03-10-2010

Quote:
Kevin -

Thanks for your comments. It is a nice place, and the people are really friendly and approachable. As you mentioned, it is about as north as you can get in the Chesapeake. We even have a decent racing scene, which includes all skill levels from first time racers (and sailors) to boats that have won hardware in the Governer's Cup.

Frankly, I had never heard of the town North East until I found my first boat there. I am glad that I did, because it really is the closest sailable part of the Chesapeake to my home. (It's also nice because we can sail right off the docks. No need to motor down the river to get to the bay before you can hoist the sails!)

The rates are fairly reasonable. A yearly membership is $600. If you keep your boat there, the slips range from $1760/year for a 20' slip, $2680 for a 30' slip, up to $4400 for a 50' slip. (The prices are hidden somewhere on the website).

If you are interested, try coming down for a visit when the weather turns warm. Sail race days are usually good a good time. They run on Saturdays starting in May. You can either contact me off line, or just show up at the club. As I mentioned, the people are really friendly.
CapnA,

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a shallow (I believe unmarked??) channel up the eastern side of the north portion along Elk Neck State Park. My wife and I and some friends usually charter a boat out of Harve De Grace every year so I'm pretty familiar with the area. We've taken the last couple of years off though because one of the couples we go with got pregnant the year before last and the other couple got pregnant last year. We're also taking this year off because my wife is pregnant (with our first ), but I definitely plan to get back out next year. Anyway, it's been a while since I looked at a chart so my memory may not be the best.

I'd love to check out the marina in the spring. I'm assuming you wont be heading down until the weather breaks a bit??

Kevin
Old 03-11-2010

Congratulations Kevin! Having a baby puts a whole new perspective on things. We we didn't take our daughter sailing until after her first birthday, but she has pretty much grown up on the water. Now she's seven, and we bought her a used sunfish last summer. As long as she still likes it, we are trying to encourage her. There are many worse things she could be into...

You are correct that the channel up the North East River along the eastern side of Turkey point. Fortunately, it is well marked and easy to follow. The one downside of the North East River is that you pretty much have to overnight in a marina, because there are not well protected coves.

I will be heading down there in another month or so. We're planning to launch sometime after tax day, and regular racing starts the first weekend in May. As I mentioned before, if you want to check it out, either send me a message or just stop in once the weather turns warmer. We're always looking for crew on race days.

Drew
Old 03-11-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Good luck on your new purchase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Do any of you have nightmare stories about bareboat charters?
Other than forgetting to close the hatches when leaving the boat for dinner ashore and having to make a mad dash back to the mooring to close them when the evening rains came in the BVI, everything was great. The hassles involved in air travel today certainly do not add anything to the experience.

After our first charter I thought, why own a boat up north when the best sailing conditions and underwater activity can be had in the Caribbean for a week at a time...and even though we're going back in a few months for another charter, the draw of the sea and sailing has convinced me that I need to own a boat up north because one week every few years just won't cut it.
Old 03-12-2010

Quote:
Congratulations Kevin! Having a baby puts a whole new perspective on things. We we didn't take our daughter sailing until after her first birthday, but she has pretty much grown up on the water. Now she's seven, and we bought her a used sunfish last summer. As long as she still likes it, we are trying to encourage her. There are many worse things she could be into...

You are correct that the channel up the North East River along the eastern side of Turkey point. Fortunately, it is well marked and easy to follow. The one downside of the North East River is that you pretty much have to overnight in a marina, because there are not well protected coves.

I will be heading down there in another month or so. We're planning to launch sometime after tax day, and regular racing starts the first weekend in May. As I mentioned before, if you want to check it out, either send me a message or just stop in once the weather turns warmer. We're always looking for crew on race days.

Drew
Drew,

Thanks for the response and the congratulations. Needless to say, we are very excited for the new baby. My wife is about seven months along and I have to say that it's been the fastest seven months of my life. I really can't believe it's been that long... how the time flies.

Anyway, I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I'd be more than happy to help crew for a race. I never done any formal racing but I've done quite a bit of sailing so I should be of at least some assistance. I'll shoot you a message once the weather breaks (if it ever does).

Kevin