Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010

CapnA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPapagiorgio View Post
Drew,

Thanks for the response and the congratulations. Needless to say, we are very excited for the new baby. My wife is about seven months along and I have to say that it's been the fastest seven months of my life. I really can't believe it's been that long... how the time flies.

Anyway, I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I'd be more than happy to help crew for a race. I never done any formal racing but I've done quite a bit of sailing so I should be of at least some assistance. I'll shoot you a message once the weather breaks (if it ever does).

Kevin
Kevin -

You're going through one of the most exciting and intense experiences of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute of it!

Definitely shoot me a message in another month or so, and we'll get you down to the club.

- Drew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
Drew,

That sounds good. I'll shoot you a message in a month or so... lookin' forward to it.
Old 03-27-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
All - Back to the original topic of this thead, on Thursday we surveyed the Catalina 250, closed the deal Friday, and motored her down the river to Essington, PA today. It was a chilly ride, but fun nonetheless. (Thanks for you great company and advice, Ulladh!) The breeze was too light and time too limited to put the sails up, and docking in the strong Delaware River currents was a real challenge. Both of those items are going to need a lot of work in the near future.

If anyone has any links to good docking tricks I'd appreciate them. I was having particular trouble backing up with (but slower than) the current. I would tend to turn the rudder in the direction to move the stern as if the boat was backing up in slack water, so the boat would move the opposite way from what I expected because even though SOG was negative, its speed relative to the water was positive. Any special visualization tricks to override my natural (incorrect) reflexes would be appreciated! Meanwhile I'll go have a look to see what Chapman's says about the topic.

My sincere thanks to all of you for the advice your provided during my search!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-27-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats and good luck with her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-28-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Rythm
It was a pleasure to share the first time on the river with you yesterday.
Your docking skills where quite good for first time docking in tidal current.
Keep practicing in different phases of the tide, add wind and every day will be different.
Get comfortable with the boat then enter Smacks Global Reggata.
Old 03-28-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Rythm,

Congrats and Good luck. Hope to see you on the Chesapeake soon.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-01-2010

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the boat purchase... Maybe it got lost in the shuffle, but where did you decide to keep her?
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPapagiorgio View Post
Congrats on the boat purchase... Maybe it got lost in the shuffle, but where did you decide to keep her?
For this year we plan to keep her near my home. Last weekend we moved her to Anchorage Marina on the Delaware River in Essington, PA.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 04-03-2010

Today we got our first chance to take the "new" boat out under sail. Things went great, and we successfully circumnavigated Little Tinicum Island. I hired Steve Mink, who runs the Liberty Sailing School in Philly (and the Liberty Sail and Canvas Loft), to make sure we didn't get ourselves into too much trouble.

Docking went much better this time, partly because we were docking against the current instead of with it. I stood backwards in front of the pedestal and backed in the whole way, including pulling in through the fairway backwards. It may have looked odd, but the boat really responded better with the outboard motor "dragging" the boat behind it.

Old 04-03-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
[QUOTE]Docking went much better this time, partly because we were docking against the current instead of with it. I stood backwards in front of the pedestal and backed in the whole way, including pulling in through the fairway backwards. It may have looked odd, but the boat really responded better with the outboard motor "dragging" the boat behind it./QUOTE]

Many don't realize just how strong the currents can be on the Delaware river. When the wind dies it is very easy to sail backwards.