SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hunter purchase ??

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  scottbr 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 40'+ Hunter but concerned about the traveler on top of the arch (higher than the bimini). Because of 4'+ draft and the main 10' above waterline, the Hunter heels excessively in 15+ knot winds. I would rather not reef so early. Any Hunter owners have comments on this?

#2 ·
Not too bad

I sail a 33' with the same set up, and it hasn't been that bad. Everything is easily handled from the helm. The only down side having to climb aloft to see around the bimini if you need to double check -- but that is rare, as you develop a good feel based on the lines.

#3 ·
Having aquaintances with a Hunter 38 2005 and a Hunter 45DS 2008, I can say that with the 38, you are thinking right, she is a bit tender and needs reefing (of course, everyone will not agree on when to reef) certainly before 20knots.

The 45DS on the other hand is starting to get quite happy at 20knots.

Even though the traveler/arch is quite higt on both vessels I think that Hunter lengthend the boom and lowered the center of effort on the big Mainsail for the 45DS giving her an easier time in the moderate breezes.

This is just what I have experienced on a few day sails on both vessesl...
Greg

#4 ·
My friend has a 38 2005 with the arch traveler set up and the inmast furler. He is reefing before 20 kts and much earlier than us in our 35 C&C. Also when he furls his center moves quite a bit forward. He has had no problem with the traveler as it is well designed with blocks in the correct place. He has difficulty jusging how far over he has set it though as it is above his bimini

I found his boat quite squirley and tender in a stronger breeze with his sails fully up.

#5 ·
I have an '05 33. I will round up if hit with 20 knot gusts and usually start to furl " reef" at 15 knots. With the main partially furled I still easily hit 6-7 knots, hull speed is 7.2. I like the arch and having the traveller out of the cockpit, but the lines right beside the helm. I have a "skylight" in the bimini and can see the traveller and main sail easily. It's all a matter of getting used to the boat and how it behaves. Furling the main is quick and easy either in or out and for the most part I "single-hand" even with my wife on board.

#6 ·
A member of our club bought one of the Passage 450s in California and enlisted the help of a very experienced couple (circumnavigation, multiple trans pacific voyages) to deliver it up the coast.

The first serious wind they encountered, the delivery skipper turned around and refused to continue due to the arch flexing excessively (to his mind) under the loads and sea conditions...

Could have just been that model, or that particular boat, but sounds like it's something to think about.

#7 ·
Love it

This my second Hunter with the arch and the arch is why I got my new H-36 with the arch and this time even got inmast.
She is a dream to sail single handed at the helm with the travelar at the helm and jib sheets at the helm.
I can sail with 20kts with out reefing if my wife is not on the boat,if she is sailing with me she does not like too much heeling.
I usually reef on the fly with inmast which if i keep the heeling from over power the helm she will keep up speed really well,if your ordering new get inmast you will love it or used inmast.
Nick

#10 ·
Even if it does flex a little, it's not a big deal, it's a big steel arch, it's going to flex. I would think the keel would have more to do with tenderness than the height of the traveler arch, most Hunters come with the standard shoal keel, if your considering one and your sailing area allows it, always get the deep keel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.