Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Smile The Devil is in the Details

Footnotes from NADA;

"Value Explanations

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling prices. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers and are generally lower than values shown.

Suggested List – We have included manufacturers' suggested retail pricing (MSRP) to assist in the financing, insuring and appraising of vessels. The MSRP is the manufacturers' and/or distributors' highest suggested retail price in the U.S.A. when the unit was new. The MSRP is furnished by the manufacturer and/or distributor and are assumed to be correct. Unless indicated, the MSRP does not include destination charges, dealer set-up, state or local taxes, license tags or insurance.

Low Retail Value — A low retail valued boat will show excessive wear and tear either cosmetically and/or mechanically. This boat may or may not be in running order. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. Low retail vessels usually are not found on a dealer's lot. Low Retail is not a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer may need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work. [This is the number that I pay attention to from NADA. From this I deduct repair or replacement for things that are broken or at the end of their useful life. But then, as I stated earlier, I think that NADA values frequently run lower than reality for the boats that I'm interested in . I guess that what I'm trying to say is that I really don't pay too much attention to NADA - Ed]

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.
"

BUC's footnotes are even more explicit if you follow the links. I'd copy/paste them, but I don't want to use my last free quote to illustrate my point.

What I will do is point the reader to the earlier discussion on Actual Selling Price which should address what I suspect is the actual issue at hand.

Oh, and I really feel sorry for the guy that paid $10,591 in '03. It seems that PT Barnum was right!

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-06-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2010

Jasper Windvane is on a distinguished road
My last broker boat purchase [ long time ago, would not even speak to a broker today ] , the broker told their organization I paid many
thousands of dollars more than I actually did pay. I actually saw the reported paid price, a friend got it for me. The broker lied through the
teeth. Was I surprised, everything that broker said was a lie. The day of the week, the date, the country .. Boat brokers are lying weasels. Do you actually believe they are going to tell their organization made up of other lying weasels the truth? Ha Ha Ha ..
That's a good one.
Old 01-09-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
... Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this caution about SoldBoats.com

Some other thread in SailNet, pertaining to selling prices, cas some doubt on the accuracy of the prices stated through SoldBoats.com. (it may have been earlier in this thread, but I'll leave it to you to dig it up.) One poster in that thread mentioned that they sold their boat through a broker on YachtWorld and the broker posted the selling price at $15K higher than the selling price. Brokers are incented with inflating selling prices to keep their subsequent commissions high. (Is there a down side to a broker overstating the selling price in SBDC?) It was suggested by some other poster that the broker might have taken $15K from the buyer as commission (this would figure if the boat was sold for $150K) but I doubt that was the case in this instance. IIRC, the poster did not respond, so the accuracy of the selling prices in SoldBoats.com remains a question.