Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010

SandySpit is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau 50 DS Performance version

I am in the process of ordering a Jeanneau 50 DS Performance version with deep (2.35 m) draft. I have chartered the Jeanneau 49 on several occasion and loved the sail balance, handling and speed of this boat.

Does anyone have any experience of the 50 DS Performance version (with full baton mainsail as oposed to the standard in-mast furling). In particular, how well balanced are the sails on the steering.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
There aren't too many Jeanneau owners here, but you could try posting (and joining) the Jeanneau Owner's Forum at jeanneau owners network - Home . I'd be interested, I looked at the lines of the 50DS today at the dock and was impressed; my 49DS sails quite well although I tend to put 2 reefs in the mainsail in winds of 12knots or more so that I can balance the sails with my 125% genoa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2010

Hi Arnd

Thank you for your comments. The new 50DS Performance should be in the water (here on the Cote d'Azur) around the middle of May. I'll write up on her once I've sailed her a bit.

I very much enjoyed reading your website. I know the BVI fairly well as we spent every Christmas over the last 6 years in the BVI, chartering from the Moorings. 2009 was the first Christmas we did not travel to warmer shores, but stayed in France. However, reading through your website, on this cold and snow covered Sunday evening, brought back good memories and allowed me to share in your adventures.

What software did you use to integrate the calander with the text and pictures. The website is a delight to use.

Nick
Old 01-11-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Nick,

You might also read this blog
The Rard Family Ocean Adventure
It is the owner of the Seattle dealers travels from here to Oz and back over two yrs with his family on a std cabin 49iP. At an owners dinner one of the last two January's during the boat show, he mentioned he came on deck with winds in the upper twentys, 20'sh foot waves, going mid teens with a genniker and main up, daughter whom is all of 100 lbs if that, both are very petit, doing just fine handling the boat. SO he went back to sleep after a 2 hr nap! or some such thing.

He was very happy with his choice of boats. They also sell Tartan, C&C, Dehler before the BK and Hanses taking over, Nauticat along with obviously his choice of used boats thru the yrs. You should be fine with a P model vs the std one.

Marty
Old 01-13-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Hello SandySpit - I lived in Valbonne and worked in Sophia Antipolis outside of Antibes for a while and, unfortunately, didn't step on a boat once while there, but did spend my evenings in "La Gaffe" in Antibes and various other watering holes in Cannes and still regret not having sailed; are you in that part of the of the cote d'Azur? The 50DS will be perfect there!

The web site calendar is just manually entered HTML, a simple "table". I'm not a web or graphics savvy person, but using Adobe Dreamweaver made putting together the site technically easy. Most of my time is spent trying to make the layout look right. I just returned to Europe today, with several CM of snow on the ground I wish I'd stayed in the BVI.

Last edited by Zanshin; 02-01-2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: corrected embedded tags
Old 01-31-2010

dewittcap is on a distinguished road
I, too am ordering a 50 DS. My question is does anyone have any experience with the classic rig (120+ more main sail area) as opposed to the in mast furler? Because of my desire to sail in the Chesapeake and Bahamas, I need the shoal draft (5'7 rather than the Performance rig (7'9") or the standard rig (7'1").
Old 02-01-2010

Hi Dewittcap

I was told that the standard rig is no longer available on the 50DS, only on the SO49i. This was the main reason why I ordered the Performance version of the 50DS (with lazybag etc). I also went for the deep keel as I supect this would provide a more comfortable (& faster) sail.

In terms of how close you can anchor to land, I felt that there was not too much difference in paractice between a standard keel and a deep keel.

Last edited by SandySpit; 02-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2010

Dear Sandysplit:

Interesting on the standard rig. I sail primarily in Long Island Sound and to Maine. We do a lot of motoring. Having done sunstantial racing, I am always looking for speed. With the Flexofold prop, I thought this would be a good compromise. I'm using Bayacht in Annapolis and will talk to them about it. I sail often sail on a Beneteau 49 and have a real problem with the main's sail shape due to the furler. Thanks again
Old 03-04-2010

Sandyspit:
I was able to confirm my order for the 50 DS, shoal draft, but with the classic mast. Had to pay up for it, but just returned from the BVI's on a Beneteau 49, the inmast furling is a no go for me.

Last edited by dewittcap; 03-04-2010 at 08:59 PM.