Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I had thought about the Whitby 42, but he wants a sloop/cutter, and it's hard to find a W42 that isn't ketch-rigged.

Here's an example of the C&C Landfall 43 with the over/under bunk arrangement in the starboard aft passage:

1983 C&C Landfall Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A '72-74 Pearson 390 would meet all of your criteria.

The boat was designed for charter service in the Bahamas. The draft with the board up is 4' 6", there are sleeping accommodations for 6 (fore and aft head), center cockpit, and a sloop. They only built ~35 of them though, so you'll have to look hard, and be patient. Asking prices have been under $65K, so you'll have plenty left to recondition her.

The Pearson 419 & 422 had more room, but the draft is 5' 6".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2010
NorthernneckLon

northernnecklon is on a distinguished road
cruising boat deals

I have also been looking for the perfect cruising boat and the perfect deal . I have been enamored with CSY 44s, whiteby 42, Brewer 42, bristol 41.1, and, possibly, more recently, beneteaus (my first mate is enamored with the design open feel and she will determine whether our dream of cruising distant ports...Maine to the Carribean is going to happen). I have traveled from Florida to New Jersey trying to find the perfect deal. And, if I could, kick myself in the behind because of missed opportunities.
It seems that a perfect way for buyers to possibly hook up with sellers would be a website where by prospective buyers could post their desires and sellers could contact them directly. Is there such a place???
Old 01-12-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernnecklon View Post
It seems that a perfect way for buyers to possibly hook up with sellers would be a website where by prospective buyers could post their desires and sellers could contact them directly. Is there such a place???
New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com

WHile mostly brokers list here, there are some private listings.

I'm recalling another something like "boatworld" that is more private oriented. but the look is real similar. You mite also look at craigs list, local papers, not sure if a "little nickle" exists near you, altho a similar add print newspaper I am sure exists.

One might also try brand and model owners sites on the web, "Assuming" one exists. A couple in my YC "HAD" to had a J37c for a round the world cruise, so for two yrs they scoured any add they could fine, along with ever 3-5 months sending out a mass email to owners listed on the owners site. Then a return email from a current owner, sold and bought said boat a week later and had it shipped here.

More than one way to find boats.

Marty
Old 01-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernnecklon View Post
I have also been looking for the perfect cruising boat and the perfect deal . I have been enamored with CSY 44s, whiteby 42, Brewer 42, bristol 41.1, and, possibly, more recently, beneteaus (my first mate is enamored with the design open feel and she will determine whether our dream of cruising distant ports...Maine to the Carribean is going to happen). I have traveled from Florida to New Jersey trying to find the perfect deal. And, if I could, kick myself in the behind because of missed opportunities.
Not that I know of. Anybody else?

My advice would be to do as much research on-line and close to home, narrow the search to a particular model that you want, and save your travel budget until one becomes available in the price range that fits your budget.

Also, once I knew what I wanted and was willing to pay, I wouldn't necessarily hold-out for the perfect deal. I'd look for best value over lowest price.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-12-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Marty,

I think that you have interpreted NorthernneckLon's question backward. He is asking for a place where prospective buyers could post their requirements, and have prospective sellers contact them. I believe that craigslist is probably the most cost effective way to do this. ["looking for a xxx yyy zzz boat") Regardless, I don't believe that Craigslist would be very effective at this time.

Yachtworld is a place where selling brokers post information about available boats and have prospective buyers contact the broker

I agree that your second suggestion is a sound one. I would also suggest the NorthernneckLon create a "flyer" listing requirements and contact info, that could be posted on the bulletin board at various marinas and yacht clubs. Be prepared when every broker in the area starts contacting you.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2010

I would agree that yachtworld or equal is for the most if not ALL the time only listed boats for sale. I would admit that there is probably NOT a what I am looking for site or equal. Some of the sites, like yachtworld you can plug in to some degree wants and dislikes, and it will remove non potentials. But even that is not always a good way to look either.

If one has a boat type narrowed down, ie to a brand a type, then the owners forums or equal is going to probably be the best, along with making friends per say with a local broker whom can help you look thru there links.

But if looking of one of those that has 35 hulls built or some such smallish number, finding one will be hard. Even a boat build of 300 like mine is hard to find. I know of 20 in N America, will assume the other 260-280 or there abouts are in Europe.

One just has to look where one can.

marty
Old 01-12-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
I've seen a CSY 44 that interested me A LOT.....

The 19 going wacko is a possibility...his girlfriend is from Sweden. He just got back from there last week....

The 2 year old can't pull rope yet but we're working on it. The rest of the crew are already pretty seasoned as far as handling the boat goes. They're actually a great crew when a storm moves in.

I keep looking at the new Jeaneau's. Hadn't had a chance to look at one up close yet so wasn't sure how sturdy they are. I'm not one to believe most of the hype from the builders and brokers. The Catalina Morgan and the Hunter Passage are also on the short list but I'm looking for lots of input before we make a final decision and start making offers on boats....We'll be aboard for quite a while and I'm all about safety and comfort for the family.
Old 01-12-2010

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
How about:

Sea Lake Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)

or

Sea Lake Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)
Old 01-12-2010

As far as Jeanneau goes.....I'm probably a bit like soon to be gone moderator Bryan and Catalina, Jeanneau builds a fairly decent boat for the $$$$$. IIRC on the ARC around the world cruise, Jeanneau was the most sailed boat. Beneteau right after. But that does make sense since Jeanneau builds more hulls than anyone else, with Beneteau behind them. Most of the Jen's were 45-50 or so feet long. Altho I am recalling with out looking it up, the SO 49 or 54 were the most popular Jeanneau models. Even the ARC has more Jeanneaus the last few yrs than other brands.

A number of folks on the owners forum are cruising what I would call reasonable world wide on the 39 and larger boats, be them std cockpit/cabins, or the what is becoming rather popular, the deck saloon models.

If you want to go older, ie last 5-10 yrs, the SO 37's and larger are doing quite well in offshore situations.

Also Europeans seem to be willing to do more with run of the mill brands than we on N America. Then it could be that they are not as well protected from larger ocean swells, so they go no matter the brand, they know brands like Jeanneau or Beneteau a bit better.

Not sure if Jeanneau has had a CC in its past, most are std cockpit models. If you go to www.jeanneau-owners.com you can look up under specifications some of the different models. Chantier Naval JEANNEAU : constructeur voilier, bateau de plaisance, bateau à moteur, barque pour croisière, pêche, compétition then clkick sailboats, then autres models they have brochures, owners manuals, and spec sheets going back many yrs back into the late 60's when they first started building sailboats. They started with power in the late 50's, and have been in busines for over 50 yrs.

The biggest issues with Jeanneau and a CC model. is you could be looking at a boat from the 70's. I would want something a bit newer personally. Then again, what decision is not personal in nature when it comes to something like this.

Marty