Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
We're going to look at a Hunter 42 Passage later this week. We believe that with some minor modifications we can configure it so as to have bunk space for everyone and fulfill the admirals desire for some privacy. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these boats and what we should be looking for in the way of wear and tear issues when we see it....
Old 01-26-2010

sapster77 is on a distinguished road
Good luck.
But if you say center-cockpit, you have to say Hallberg Rassy...:-)
The HR38 is definitely "passage-capable" with its long keel, and at the same time very solidly built. Top quality.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2010
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Haven't had any experience with Hunter Passage 42' but my dock neighbour has 1 and loves it for comfortable living onboard. I would suggest talking to owners on the Owners association site HunterOwners.com - Home or Hunter Sailing Associations and Owners' Clubs . If your plan is for transatlantic or pacific passages consult the ARC website Welcome to World Cruising Club: ARC - they usually have details on boat troubles and I believe list a couple of Hunters.

From this you should be able to draw your own conclusions but my opinion is considering hi-potential risk of demasting in a boat without a backstay. I'm sure Hunter beefs up their rigs, but it's the sense of security and it's a sure thing to get a big blow on passage or coastal cruising.

I have also heard that in earlier model Hunters that the Roll Bar/Traveller support seperates from the deck - not sure if this is the case for the Passage.

Not much different from buying a house - strong foundation / good bones - strong hull / strong rigging

Have fun
Old 03-01-2010
Admirals fav target

Just an update to the thread. The Hunter Passage is a great boat.....if all you want to do is liveabord. No sea berths! Not a place one to sleep under sail. The curved Salon Settees are beautiful but not a place to lay down. The forward and aft cabins both have island berths so no place to sleep there. They appear fairly solid, deep bilge, lots of storage but just won't work for open ocean.
Looked at an older Gulfstar CSY 44.....built like a tank! This appears to be one SOLID boat. The first one had some issues with regards to what appears to be a lack of care for the boat. That or she's just sat for a while now. Have found another one that appears from the photos to be beautiful and well cared for. We will get down to look at her this week or next.
I'm learning something that I really didn't expect. I fail to see how some brokers stay in business. In Kemah over the weekend we tried to make an appointment to see a couple of boats and the broker just flat lied to me regarding his intentions. Despite talking to him on the phone twice, both calls initiated by me, he never once returned my calls. All the while bragging about he was one of the largest brokers in Kemah. Well, he was also one of the largest A**H****....we drove 10 hours to get to Kemah. Thankfully we had several other boats we looked at while there so the trip wasn't a total waste. Anyone that is interested can PM me and I'll be more than happy to give out names.

Last edited by NCountry; 03-01-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010
Admirals fav target

Another update....(for anyone that's interested)
We have made a deal on a 1981 Gulfstar 44. Been very well cared for by the previous owner and appears to be built like a tank. Every aspect of her fits what has been described numerous times on this forum as a "blue water" boat. She even fits the "old shoe" category. She's been across the Atlantic twice, thru the Panama Canal and up and down the west coast. She was re-rigged just before being put on fresh water AND her rebuilt Perkins only has 57 hours. Her sails appear fresh, wood work well maintained and all her systems, while dated, appear to be in fine working order.
We're having her surveyed this week and a sea trial the first appropriate weather after that. Hope to close on April 10th and have her delivered by April 16th.
I know there are lots of things we already want to do to her in the form of upgrades but we've got lots of time to get them done and I feel very comfortable that we're about to purchase a wonderfully solid and seaworthy boat.
I want to thank not just the posters to this thread but all the people that post on the numerous threads on this board. I've spent almost 4 years reading everything I could and suprisingly some of the information seems to have seeped into my water logged brain and been invaluable as we worked our way towards this particular boat. So, thanks to all you sail netters, even the portugese!
Old 03-16-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Sounds great. Good luck.