Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Time to move up, but what boat?

OK.....I see lots of advice on what kind of boat for different people/situations so I know there are lots of opinions and some SUPER knowledgable folks. I've looked at an incredible variety of boats to fit our needs and while I have some opinions I wanted to see what came out of this. Here's the criteria...

1. Berth's for 6 (2 adults and 4 "kids" 19 down to 2)
2. Shoal draft
3. Passage capable (I hate to even add this to the list)
4. Sloop rigged
5. Under $150,000
6. Center cockpit
7. Mono-hulls only please

Haven't come across a thread with quite this criteria so forgive me should you feel this is a repeat....
Old 01-11-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
OK.....I see lots of advice on what kind of boat for different people/situations so I know there are lots of opinions and some SUPER knowledgable folks. I've looked at an incredible variety of boats to fit our needs and while I have some opinions I wanted to see what came out of this. Here's the criteria...

1. Berth's for 6 (2 adults and 4 "kids" 19 down to 2)
2. Shoal draft
3. Passage capable (I hate to even add this to the list)
4. Sloop rigged
5. Under $150,000
6. Center cockpit
7. Mono-hulls only please

Haven't come across a thread with quite this criteria so forgive me should you feel this is a repeat....

That is a pretty tall order. There'd be a lot more choices among the mainstream production boats if you did not have the centercockpit requirement. CC boats seem to have fallen out of favor, so there aren't nearly as many options as there were say 10-15 years ago, and therefore fewer on the used market s as well.

Also, when you say berths for 6, are you willing to have some of those berths in the convertible salon?

Depending on your answer above, and assuming you'd like to stay on the newer end of the age spectrum, you might look at the Beneteau 42/44CC. This one is a bit above your price range, but it might help us to get the discussion going:

2003 Beneteau 42 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
check out the Kelley Peterson 44s and 46s, Brewer 42s and 44s, they are out there. i see many that fit your bill unless your not giving all the info
Old 01-11-2010

JimB517 is on a distinguished road
too many contradictions

center cockpit
sloop rigged
passage capable
and shoal draft

just don't go together in boats that can take 6.

I'd say an Endeavor 43 but its a ketch and fairly deep draft.
Old 01-11-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Not opposed to some older boats as we're in a position to do any refurb that's needed.
We are looking at center cockpits because of the aft state room they provide so the admiral and I can "get away" from the kids in a more private space. Also, a lot of center cockpits have bunks on one side underneath the cockpit. AND the sailors I've talked to that have the center cockpits say you tend to stay drier in heavy weather and they like the motion of them better in big seas.
Shoal draft as we intend on island hopping some as part of a multi year circumnavigation.
Sloop Rigged for the ease of sail handling and passage capable as most of these type boats seem to be suitable as live aboards. We intend to cruise for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 10 years. Longer if the business's continue to operate efficiently in our absence with minimal "flights home".
Old 01-11-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
the sailors I've talked to that have the center cockpits say you tend to stay drier in heavy weather and they like the motion of them better in big seas.
Interesting, that is the contrary to many reports, at least on small-medium sized CC boats (<45 feet or so). Boats in this size range are notoriously wet in the cockpit, and many folks complain of the motion especially when heeled because they are higher from the boat's axis of rotation and hanging out further over the water. Having made passages in similar sized boats, CC and aft cockpit, I would say the aft cockpit boats are generally drier and have a more secure feeling. Part of that may be personal preference, though. As the boats get larger, 45+ feet, the dampness in the cockpit tends to be less an issue.

Continuing in this price and size range, you might also look at the C&C Landfall 43. Some of them had a third sleeping cabin with a single and, in some cases, even a double over/under bunk in the starboard passageway to the aft cabin. That would be a good arrangement for a family with kids, although for a voyage of that duration with that many aboard, you might want to target a larger size range, and a bigger budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-11-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Ruby Slippers

Granted a bit above your price range, not a center cockpit, nor shoal draft, but "IF" I was going to cruise with my family of 6, this is what I would look at and for. This one is ocean ready to go, been there done that!

Marty
Old 01-11-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...how about some of the following mainstream production boats:

Catalina/Morgan 45/38
Hunter Passage 450/420
Bene 36cc

Old 01-11-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree with both the Whitby 42 and the Peterson 44/46. They are in your price range (not more than double Marty ) and are both good solid sailing boats. They also have cockpits that are not on the second floor as many center cockpit boats are. The only failing is shoal draft but a keel a bit deeper would be much better offshore in any case.
Attached Thumbnails
Time to move up, but what boat?-6.jpg   Time to move up, but what boat?-5.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
yeah yeah yeah Brian!

I admitted my option was above the cost..........But that 3 cabin 1-2 head style/size etc would be my choice. One could for about 200K buy a new 39' Jeanneau, Beneteau etc too, in a similar floor plan and make it work too. But a mid 40-50' boat if affordable has enough room for all to spread out to a degree.

But if going off shore, granted there will be times all 6 are awake, I would bet most of the time, at least one if not two will be asleep doing some sort of 3-5 hr shifts, and this will depend upon the ages too. The 2 yr old will not be doing a shift, but would assume the 19 yr old would, if that one does not jump ship sooner than later...........for college, GF or some other wild and wacko reason..........

Marty