Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010

RoSail is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30

Assuming I can get one for under 10k, what do you guys think of this boat? Will it be good for blue water and a live aboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSail View Post
Assuming I can get one for under 10k, what do you guys think of this boat? Will it be good for blue water and a live aboard?
Cat 30s are a fairly popular live aboard here in Southern California. They aren't really blue water boats (nor, were they designed or built to be). However, with a bit of beefing up, and cautious seamanship, many non-bluewater boats have made quite spectacular passages. If you're really thinking about blue water sailing, I would start with a more robustly built boat, designed with the open ocean more in mind. It may cost you a bit more initially, but you'll spend a lot less money and time getting it in decent shape. And you'll probably have a safer boat, that's more comfortable in big seas.
Old 01-14-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As has been said, the Catalina 30 was never intended for offshore use, and even one in perfect shape would need some serious beefing up to reliably stand up to the rigours of offshore work. But beyond that the weight carrying capacity alone would discourage the use of a Catalina 30 for distance voyaging. And if you could fine one for $10,000, it would likely be so beat to death, needing major structural items like keel bolt replacement and deck core work, that it would cost a way more than the boat was worth to make it a suitable offshore cruiser.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 01-14-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I looked at a 10K C30 and many boats in that price range before buying the Cal 29

It had the keel sump issue

Tired motor issue

Orginal standing rigging issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-15-2010

Loaf1967 is on a distinguished road
RoSail,
it depends on what kind of engine you are looking for. The 20hp diesel is the preferred engine, but you can find a Catalina 30 with an Atomic 4 in your price range (at least on the Chesapeake). Sea Scouts in Baltimore is selling one with a 11hp diesel and they may bargain for your price.
My understanding is that this model was never meant for blue water. The companionway is too large, etc. But I am unsure how far out into the ocean "coastal cruising" takes a person. I am new to sailing (this year) but so far I have had no problems single handing my 30 around the Chesapeake.
As for living aboard, I am 6'2 250 and have been living aboard since October in Annapolis. It is quite comfortable for one person and weekend guests are no problem.

Loaf
Old 01-15-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The Catalina 30 is a good coastal boat with more built than any other boat her size. Good support from Yahoo owner's group Catalina30 : Catalina 30 Owners Online List
and very affordable. Usually dozens and dozens to choose from - like a popular chevy. But was never designed for offshore. The wide companionway is one issue but a larger one is the bulkheads that are not glassed to the hull and furniture held in place with just a few screws. Much sailing in rough waters will loosen a few things and the hull will move a bit making it worse. Offshore sailing for a year is about 10 years of normal wear and tear that this boat just isn't built for.
Old 01-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Second what Jeff_H has said. Almost any Catalina 30 for that price is going to need serious refurbishing, and the boat was not designed for off-shore work. There are other boats that might be far more suitable, like the HR Monsun 31, but these boats are also going to be harder to find at a good price and less suitable for liveaboard use, since they're going to have much smaller interiors than a Catalina 30.

I'd point out that several bloggers have lived aboard boats like Alberg 30s, which are often available for fairly little money in decent shape. One sailor I know of lives aboard a SC31 and that boat has made circumnavigations, like the one done by Patricia Henry.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2010

There are a lot of average boats out there - Catalina, Hunter, Cal and the like. There are a few better boats that are harder to find. I don't know where you are but try these.

1965 Sagitta Royal Systems Yacht Yard Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1985 Seafarer Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1976 Vinyard Vixen Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1972 Yankee MKI Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
All but the last with a diesel. The Sagitta looks interesting. They're asking slightly over 10k on several but would probably accept less I would guess.
Old 01-16-2010

jrmdive is on a distinguished road
I own a 1984 Catalina 30, and it's a great boat for what I got it for, a starter boat to bring the Admiral along and a coastal cruiser. For the length, it has a lot of room below, largely due to the wide beam. I love my Catalina, but like any tool you need to understand the limitations. I'll be parting with it and upgrading when/if we decide to start going further offshore.

There are some good reasons above for why people don't consider it appropriate for serious offshore work, and they are true. However, what no-one has mentioned yet is, for me, the real show-stopper. The hull-deck joint is *only* secured by adhesive. There are no through-fasteners of any kind. That's why she gets the nickname "the tupperware boat." The lid is just sort of stuck on. Leaking through the hull-deck joint is a very common problem in the C30, and if you decide to buy one, I'd recommend you spray around the joint with a hose and then check inside for leaking.

Before we got this boat, I found a killer deal in Marina Del Rey for a nice 79 C30 tall for 10k. So you can find a deal. Generally you'll probably end up parting with $18k - $20k for something you'd like to have (or you'll put whatever the difference is between $20k and the purchase price into it to make into something you'd like to keep.)

Good luck, and if you have any more questions I'd join up with the yahoo Catalina30 group. Ton's of good info there.

JRM
"Imagine"
Old 01-16-2010

JRM
Really? Not even self tappers. I'm surprised.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.