Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010

CrazyLeaf is on a distinguished road
Looking for similar boats

I found a Contessa 32 for sale but missed it by a day. I really liked the boat. I liked it's capabilities, size, and it felt and looked like a great solid sailing boat. And it is definitely a proven passage making sailboat.

I have found a couple others for sale but are distance prohibitive for me to buy, just too expensive to transport the boat and too much time would be needed to sail it back myself.

So my question to all of you is what other boats should I look at that would be on par with a Contessa 32? When looking at other boats I find myself comparing them to the Contessa.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Where are you located?

There are a number of boats partaking of the Contessa heritage but less revered/expensive. Most of these are Scandinavian, or British takes on Scandanavian designs. Jeremy Rodgers began his career copying the Norwegian Folkboat, and its DNA is traceable in the 32. Even Doug Peterson's Contessa 35 speaks of Swedish influence.

Scandinavian/North Sea boats reflect their sailing conditions: tight passages, lots of upwind work, cold temperatures, nasty blows with chop, and the possibility of hard groundings. They tend to point very well indeed, have good stability, but suffer a little downwind: they aren't tradewind smacks. High aspect mains and knife bows are typical, as are low freeboard, low interior volume, and limited ventilation.

Brands to investigate include She (South Hants), Omega, Linjett, Albin, Rival, Sigma (esp. the 33 OOD), and Scanmar. Anything drawn by Rolf Magnusson or Peter Norlin should be up your alley; their boats make my heart flutter.

If you are on the US East Coast, you might look at this Albin Ballad. My favorite boat. It's far less known than the Contessas, so it sells for a fraction of the cost. Similar numbers, heavier on the IOR influence, tough little nut.
Old 01-14-2010

I'm in Jacksonville, FL so that one Albin Ballad is just a couple hours away.

Thanks for the other ideas, I will look into them this weekend.

Last edited by CrazyLeaf; 01-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Try Alberg or Aloha
Old 01-14-2010

pearson30sailor is on a distinguished road
met someone who had a 32 Endovor for sale in Key West. nice strong boat with some weight, not like Pearson 30.
Old 01-14-2010

DanielBoon is on a distinguished road
You couldn't have set the bar much higher with the Contessa I'm afraid. It's little sister, the 26 shouldn't be overlooked and is a proven circumnavigator. Otherwise, the Alberg 35 and 37 are both great distance boats and very pretty, albeit a little cramped inside by today's standards but there you go, there's always a compromise to be made somewhere
Old 01-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Most of the boats most comparable to the Contessa 32 are either in the UK or originally from there. The Albergs are nice boats but full keel compared to the Contessa's fin and skeg configuration. The closest would be the Sadler 32 (David Sadler also designed the Contessa 32), SHE 31 designed by S&S, Hustler 30, Albin Ballad, and the Elizabethan 30. The problem would be finding one in the US. They are all boats you would want to turn to look back at as you row away from them as well as good sailing boats.
Old 01-15-2010

Thank you all for your recommendations, I will be looking over them this weekend.
Old 01-15-2010

DanielBoon is on a distinguished road
I'm biased as I think Carl Alberg is a god amongst men (or naval architects at the very least) but have a look at this, frankly I'm already in love:
1966 Alberg Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 01-20-2010

Well if I lived in the UK or even Eastern Canada I would definitely have the pick of the boats for the type I seem to be looking at.

I have looked at the little cousin of the Contessa 32, the Contessa 26. Guess there is something about Sadler designed boats that appeals to me. There are a couple for sale that I will get some information on, what is nice is a they can be towed so I have a bit more leeway in distance.

Questions on the Contessa 26 I have:
Solid deck or cored deck? I have read conflicting information on this some places say that they are cored and some places say they are solid glass. I assume that some are and some are not. Any information on this, when did it change.
Are there any issues with the mast being Deck stepped? Have people added a compression post (if needed) to help support it? or is it adequately supported at the deck and the load is spread well.

anything else I should look out specifically on these boats?

Thanks...