CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=zAr;560668]Michael K: Unfortunately it wouldn't be much of a record if I did stop.

If this is your goal? Then most likely you are already too late to set any kind of a record. You will need to do it for self gratification alone. Nothing wrong with your idea, and you get my BEST WISHES in making it successful. I am not familiar with this vessel you have bought, but already it seems a wiser choice could be made .........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post

If this is your goal? Then most likely you are already too late to set any kind of a record. You will need to do it for self gratification alone.
Sorry, I mean going on record as with the World Sailing Speed Record Council for the solo, non-stop, unassisted category for my length of boat. You're right, it wouldn't set any speed or duration records, but I'm hoping to set a record for another kind of first which I probably shouldn't get into at the moment as this is all still in the theoretical/planning stages.
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I2F's point about it being too late to set any records is a pretty good one. It isn't likely that you'd be able to beat the existing speed records for a solo-circumnavigation, given your choice of boats. You probably don't qualify for either the youngest or oldest to circumnavigate non-stop solo either.

Personally, I don't see much point in doing a NON-STOP solo circumnavigation unless you're attempting to break or set a record of some sort. IMHO, by doing a non-stop circumnavigation, you are essentially depriving yourself of one of the great pleasures and advantages of travelling by sailboat—the chance to mix with the local cultures in many parts of the world and to see it from a perspective that is not possible by most modern forms of transportation. In many cases, there would be places you could stop that are not accessible by other forms of modern transportation in any reasonable form.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I consider the CS 30 a very nice racer/cruiser and think it a great boat for how you currently use it.

But it would seem a woefully poor choice for the purpose you describe. Other posts have mentioned some of trhe reasons that is true, additionally it is not a particularly tough boat, and even if you threw a lot of money at one, you can't make it into something the designer and builder didn't intend it to be. Just because it's a CS, doesn't mean it has the qualities of a boat like the CS 36T, a boat far more suitable for such purpose.

I recall a CS 30 was abandoned a few years ago during one of the Bermuda races...while facing conditions not a fraction of what you might face...there must be something to learn from their experience.
Old 01-17-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Here's a nice example from a very experienced cruiser with 2 1/2 circumnavigations under his belt. It's a list of what they provision for two, for a 12-week cruise. So, for you that'd work out to about 24 weeks. Half again should cover it. They cruise on a nicely modified 29ft Pearson Triton. Click on the "Boat Projects" link to see the integral water tanks that were added.
Atom Voyages | Recipes and Provisioning for Cruising Sailboats
Good suggestions on the Atom page, but they also resupplied often with perishable foods such as fresh fruit, vegetables, etc, and rarely made passages that lasted for more than a week or few. They even kept ice on board when they were able to. Still, the page has some good suggestions like sprouting seeds and using TVP, etc.

Please support my
Old 01-17-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
If you are tossing the engine, how do you propose to generate electricity - wind, solar? At a bare minimum you want nav lights. A VHF radio would be beneficial. Radar would be out of the question. Take at look at Lin and Larry Pardey's videos and books to see how to live without an engine.

Another good read - First Lady by Kat Cottee. She has a provision list you might find useful. She also documents the trials and tribulations of her 189 day voyage.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 01-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
SailingDog: I agree with you that I'd be depriving myself of that pleasure, I plan to do the more leisurely sailing a bit later. I'd like to do the circumnav while I'm still young and strong.

Sailingfool: Yup, that boat was the one that had the mast pumping and hull/deck separation. After the crew abandoned ship the boat wound up sailing itself all the way to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland before finally sinking.
Not to worry, I'm not locked into any one boat yet. It probably isn't worth the expense to strengthen the CS30 when the cost of doing so could buy a real bluewater boat that's more up to the task.

JackDale: Yes, I'd be using solar and wind. One of the decisions I face is whether to go on my own budget and go low tech a la the Pardey's or to seek sponsorship and load the boat with all the latest gadgets and doodads.

Wind_Magic: What I like about the Atom pages is they tend towards vegetarianism (apart from eating fish), so their diet would closely resemble my own (minus the fish). I have to say James Baldwin's stories have really inspired me.
Old 01-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It wouldn't be much of a record if you succeeded as you would only be smaller by 2 feet, unless someone has done this in a smaller boat already. I don't think a CS30 would survive the Southern Ocean legs.

If you really want a record do it in a 25 foot boat.
Old 01-19-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I don't think a CS30 would survive the Southern Ocean legs.
I concur

Strong winds of the Southern Ocean generate some of the largest seas on the planet
Photo: Wayne Papps
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A sailor from my marina, Paul Lim, is off the horn right about now in his Spencer 35. He is well prepared including an aluminum dodger - not frame but the whole dodger. He left Puerto Montt on December 8th bound for South Georgia. He fully expects to have a rough time of it in a boat much better suited for this than a CS30. The Spencer 35 is the boat the late Hal Roth made famous. I own a CS27 and they are well built boats, but the CS30 is a fairly flat bottomed boat and is in my opinion not the design for that trip.

ps Paul is sailing from 50 south to 50 south as he considers going through the channels as "daysailing".