CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
jacktempo: I'm aware of what awaits me down there, otherwise I wouldn't be wanting to do it. Beautiful pic by the way.

mitiempo: Thanks for the tip re: the Spencer 35. I've just loaded it up on yachtworld and I like what I see, there are a few out in BC and they don't seem too badly priced. I should probably also seek out Paul Lim when he returns, I'm sure he'll have a lot of advice.

By the way, the record I would be seeking wouldn't have anything to do with speed, duration or boat length. Sorry, I can't get into it now - too early.
Old 01-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You're not less than 14 years of age are you?
Old 01-19-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
You're not less than 14 years of age are you?
LOL, no, I'm not.
Old 03-29-2011

nansmith is on a distinguished road
Paul Lim

Hey Brian, I found you because I was looking for something on Paul Lim, whom you seem to know. It worries me that you don't think Paul's boat is suitable for this trip. He left Cape Town 6 days ago, heading South to catch the Westerlies in the Southern Ocean. I know very little about sailing, but am keen to learn stuff, probably because I am always anxious when the people I love expose themselves to danger. Paul seems to be competent and he is absolutely not a fool, so I have to assume that he will be okay. can you fill me in on the dangers of being in the southern ocean in a boat like his at this time of the year. he is planning to sail to victoria non-stop, going north through the Tasman sea up to Hawaii then home. Nobody will tell me how long this could take - if I even knew roughly it would help. regards nan bowley-smith
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
um......nansmith,

You had better reread Brians post again, he mentiones the boat Paul has as a MUCH better boat than the OP wants to use. Good to know Paul is doing well on his trip, not sure what or how the OP is doing........

Marty
Old 03-29-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
A fool and his life are soon parted.....

Or have I got that wrong? Its was a fool and somethin anyways...

I concur with the concurers above.

Its not to say that 300 days in the southern ocean would kill you, but the chances of it happening, considering it must take in a portion of autumn or winter, would be so high as you fall into the ding-a-ling category of extreme adventurers like the French jerk who tried to walk across the Australian desert with a pound of cheese and a litre of water. (The plastic of the water bottle would have survived)

Remember the teeny-boppit American girl who tried in a specially set up, not costs spared 40 footer and she sank the thing. The Aussie teeny-weenie was in a pretty good boat even though it was only a 34 footer it was an ocean racing thoroughbred (I did some long offshore races on a sister vessel)

I don't really know what a CS30 is but as you mentioned you are on a forum of owners they may be able to tell you about its abilities.

What is possible is to do a cricumnavigation STOPPING and dayhopping (ie weather windows) via the Straits of Magellin or the Begal Canal (I've forgotten which one is the better to do); then the tropial pacific; north of Australia; Madagascar; South Africa dayhopping the Cape of Good Hope, all dopne in the correct seasons.

Remember your death really wrecks a long life time of enjoyment

Mark
Old 03-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmith View Post
He left Cape Town 6 days ago, heading South to catch the Westerlies in the Southern Ocean.
The guy is mad. Going into the Southern ocean in Autumn.
Have a look at the percentage days of Gales down there. And remember, you have to go a fair way south to get the Westerlies, otherwise its variable and gales from every direction. He needs to be under 40deg S for the westerlies. The pilot is for April.
Attached Thumbnails
CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn?-capture.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011

nansmith is on a distinguished road
paul lim in the southern ocean

surely an experienced sailor would know about conditions in the southern ocean at this time of the year and not risk his life for some quest to circumnavigate the earth. has anyone sailed the southern ocean at this time of the year before? How long will it take him to reach the comparative safety of the Tasman sea?
Where can I go to check weather conditions in the southern ocean?
Old 03-29-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Nan

I specifically said Paul Lim's Spencer 35 IS a suitable boat for the trip - but a CS 30, a much lighter boat is not. Paul is heading south of Australia and New Zealand and then up the Pacific, possibly stopping in Hawaii according to his email. As far as gale percentages, he may be a bit late but the gale percentages in the southern summer are high as well.

Mark

I don't think Paul is mad and he is well prepared. He has already sailed from Victoria B.C. to South Africa, rounding the Horn along the way. I hope he has a fast safe trip.
Old 03-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmith View Post
Where can I go to check weather conditions in the southern ocean?
PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

Click on the world map and that takes you to a closer up map. Click on the lowest one down and that gives you right the way down to the antartic coast.

Push Animate for the weeks worth of fun.

There is only one rough patch this week. Check Fridays weather. I just cut an pasted it below

mitiempo: I dunno if the guy is mad or not and I am not taking a shot at him seriously. I just have a very set rule: Never be in the wrong area in the wrong season! I learned the hard way by sneaking into a Cyclone area during the cyclone season "Huricane Holes" they said.... fine till a Cat 5 came a visitin!

Mark
PS that purple bit in the chart below is more than 50 knots. Not 50 knots, MORE than 50 knots...
Attached Thumbnails
CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.