Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010

zAr is on a distinguished road
CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn?

I've already asked this on the owners list and got some pretty good responses but thought I'd also put the question here and see what happens.

I have a CS30 which I recently bought with the intention of sailing Lake Ontario.

Now I'm looking at it and wondering...with considerable upgrading can it be used for a solo circumnavigation? 300+ days nonstop, singlehanded, avoiding Panama and Suez, via the Southern Ocean, rounding Capes Horn and Good Hope? What are your thoughts? Do you know of any specific weaknesses?

Someone shared a story where the hull/deck joint separated and the mast pumped in heavy weather. Others thought the hull shape and fin keel may not be ideal. That's the kind of useful info I'd be interested in.

Also, bearing in mind that my search range would be limited to the great lakes area and budget would be $50k CAD, which boat would you vote as a more likely candidate?
Old 01-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The major weakness of the CS30 for a voyage like that is stowage. I don't think you can store 300+ days worth of food aboard, and if you're not stopping, you're probably going to starve.

While a CS30 might be suitable, properly upgraded, for a circumnavigation, it probably is a lousy choice for a NON-STOP circumnavigation attempt. If you do a non-stop circumnavigation that passes through the antipodal points, then you're looking at a minimum of 24,000 NM of travel.

If you figure, on a good day, the CS30, which has a hull speed of about 6.7 knots...and would be lucky to do 5 knots on average.... you're looking at about 100 nm a day or 240 days of sailing. Figure a half-gallon of water a day, and you're looking at a minimum of 150 gallons of water alone, adding 25% for safety margin. That's 1300 lbs or so of water. Now, food—if you figure on three meals a day with some snacks, you're looking at about two-to-three pounds of food a day, unless you're talking about extremely concentrated high-calorie foods like emergency rations. Call it 2.5 lbs x 240 days x 1.5 for spoilage and emergencies.... that's 900 lbs. of food.

That's over 2000 lbs. for food and water on a boat that displaces only 8000 according to its specifications. That doesn't count the tools, clothing, gear, emergency spares, fuel or personal items that you would probably want/need along for a non-stop voyage.

Now, you might think that you can get a watermaker and use that... but prudent sailors would still carry enough water to finish their voyage without relying on the watermaker, cause if it dies on you, and you don't have enough water along, you're DEAD. Besides, watermakers are complicated, failure-prone beasties, especially on a smaller boat that doesn't have the stowage to carry spare parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-15-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010

SailingDog, you aren't kidding. I would be tossing the engine, holding tank and fuel tank, replacing them with freshwater tanks. The boat is currently about an inch below the waterline with full tanks and the engine, I guesstimate I would have room for about 900 lbs of supplies before I displace to the waterline and can probably push to an inch above it on the assumption the boat will get lighter as I go. I find I can live on 32 gallons of fresh water a month, less if I supplement seawater for dishes, etc., but the watermaker will likely be a super critical component anyway.

But yes, I don't know exactly how much square footage dehydrated meal packs would take up, especially for 240-300 days. I'll have to build storage space but yes, there's the issue of tools, replacement parts, etc. I'd probably end up measuring and weighing every little nut and bolt.

I could really use the experience of anyone who has done the same sort of trip.

Last edited by zAr; 01-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Why not simply revise your circumnavigation a bit. Sir Francis Chichester stopped once in Sydney Australia which, I'm certain, would make your plans much more plausible. Given he was underway for a total of 226 days and Gypsy Moth IV is 54' LOA, you should feel no shame in such a modification.
Old 01-15-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'm not going to say never, as anything with proper planning is possible.

With that in mind, while it is in French, I keep thinking in the past I have seen an english conversion, a blog about a french man that did what you are toying with in a Jeanneau Sun Rise 34. This boat was built between 1984 and 1989.

Alain Maignan fait son tour du monde - page 7 | alainmaignan.sportblog.fr

Some food for thought to add to the nay sayers, with a yeah vote/possibility

Marty
Old 01-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with dehydrated foods is that if you are limited on water, they're useless. Canned foods, especially pre-cooked ones like beef stew or canned pasta mixes, can often be eaten cold...dehydrated foods can't really be eaten without reconstituting them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
You should read Jesse Martin's book "Lionheart" -- he did a non-stop solo circumnavigation on an S&S 34 (at the time the youngest to do it).

Robin Knox Johnston's boat Suhaili was 32' (he was the first to do it).

Of course, more telling than length would be displacement.

FWIW, you don't need to carry a year's worth of fresh water with you from the beginning -- you can make fresh water along the way (if you have enough fuel), or more realistically capture rainfall to refill your supplies.

Maybe not non-stop circumnavigations, but there have been a lot of other very impressive voyages in even smaller boats (e.g. "My Old Man and the Sea" by David and Daniel Hays).

edit: another book to read -"Tinkerbelle" by Robert N. Manry

So yeah, I think it could be in the realm of possibility. Obviously it would require a lot of thought and careful planning.

If you get serious about something like this, you should definitely talk to Bruce Schwab and others who've done it, like Tony Gooch.

Good Luck!

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 01-15-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2010

Michael K: Unfortunately it wouldn't be much of a record if I did stop.

Blt2ski and Catamount: Good tips and links, thanks, I'll follow up on those.

SailingDog: Good point, I hadn't thought of that. See, that's the kind of thinking I'm looking for. I'll have to rejig my calculations to take that into consideration, see if it's doable...
Old 01-17-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Not to wander too far from the OP's original point, but I think diet will be the hardest part of the journey. All those dry pasta meals look great on paper, but try eating them for a few days in a row, that is about how long it takes for all the salt in them to make it feel like your skin is trying to crawl off of you. I think it would take quite a lot of changes for most people to be able to cook well enough to survive for a year at sea without stopping for supplies. No matter how much you think you like Bush's baked beans, at some point you're not going to be able to stand the thought of eating another can of them.

Please support my
Old 01-17-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Here's a nice example from a very experienced cruiser with 2 1/2 circumnavigations under his belt. It's a list of what they provision for two, for a 12-week cruise. So, for you that'd work out to about 24 weeks. Half again should cover it. They cruise on a nicely modified 29ft Pearson Triton. Click on the "Boat Projects" link to see the integral water tanks that were added.
Atom Voyages | Recipes and Provisioning for Cruising Sailboats

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 01-17-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.