Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010

swoosh is on a distinguished road
Excellent 36 footer

I think your list should include a Pearson 36' cutter. A comfortable, strong, ocean cruser. I have one, it is well equipped, in great condition and for sale in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Well the Contessa 26, 32 are great boats and built right. Sorry for the sarcasm. I obviously made some assumptions about you that were wrong. There is a tendency on this forum for people to post about information they know nothing about. My only 2 offshore passage I made were long ones. I also have 17 Mac races under my belt and countless other passages on the Great Lakes. Ok it is the Great lakes but they still have 1000 footers sink there once in a while (Edmund Fitzgerald).
I experienced the 5% conditions once for 3 days and trust me none of the boats on the list would have made it without severe damage or worse. To wit, our friends left St. Thomas, VI 2 days after us in an Ericson 46. They were in the storm for 1 day. Their boat was well equipped with experienced (over 100 years) crew. In that one day they broke every bulkhead in the boat, the nav station came off the side of the hull and the cabin sole detached. 2 of the crew were hurt including a broken collarbone. The boat was write-off when they limped into Norfolk 8 days after us.

Our boat was a custom aluminum 55 footer with pilothouse. All up, it came in at 31,000 lb with a hydraulic lifting keel with 13,000 lead bulb that drew 10-1/2 feet. The boat was ready for anything which is great. 4 60 gallon fuel tanks with pumps and tank minder, 100 hp laser-aligned turbo diesel in watertight compartment. 2 under deck autopilots with with electronic rudder sensors. Boat construction was robust to say the least. Forward crash bulkhead, deck hatch to sealed anchor and chain locker, watertight bulkheads, ring frames, 2 longitudinal stringers. The mast, keel, and engine were securely bolted between the stringers.

The boat could be steered from inside the pilothouse which had a gimbaled helm chair and pilot berth to starboard. We had 2 EPIRBS, offshore liferaft, Satphone, weatherfax, SSB, 36 mile radar, generator, watermaker and a navigation computer.

The boat was designed by the owner with a professional engineering study and constructed by a commercial boatbuilder in Canada. To say the least, we were prepared and the boat was ready for it. I would imagine the replacement cost would be $5-700,000. The owner ,because he did all the interior work and design work, had less than half of that in it. A true offshore cruiser that you could go anywhere with reasonable safety. Cruising range under power around 1200 miles at 10 knots. We made several 200 mile days which is great since you can sail fast enough to avoid a lot of bad weather.

Our mistake was that we went with the weather which caused us to stay in the storm longer. Offshore weather off the east coast of the US can be very tricky. We had good forecasts which called for 25-35 knots. Unfortunately 3 low pressure systems joined together to make the sustained winds go to 45-55 knots. We incorrectly assumed that the Gulf Stream would not be a factor. Boy, were we wrong as the SE storm piled up waves against the south running eddies way east of the stream. Think English channel type steep waves with a fairly short duration that were 25 feet.

You will probably never experience the 5% conditions but if you do then you need to be prepared. Obviously you can navigate and plan your trip to avoid the worst but Cape Horn- yikes! Good luck in your boat search.
Old 01-23-2010

elfLogos is on a distinguished road
3reefs, if you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out this Union 36 on YW. Very salty - gorgeous boat, and in your price range:

1980 Union Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck finding *your* perfect boat!
Old 02-17-2011

Sailor07 is on a distinguished road
Vagabong Westwind 38 "Eagles Wings" For Sale

If you are still looking....do yourself a favor and check out the Vagabond Westwind 38 Cutter. Only 8 built! There is one for sale in Sarasota (Eagle's Wings).
I own one which is not for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Reefs View Post
Refining my shortlist (seems to keep getting longer!) for buying a 35-38 footer. My requirements in this order are: absolutely uncompromising seaworthiness; sufficient space for family with two small children on a circumnavigation; total budget of approx 100K; decent 'salty' looks. My standard for the seaworthiness is that she should be capable of a Cape Horn passage -- still a dream for us, but the option should be there. The flip side is we don't necessarily want a tank -- we want a sailing boat. On space, we need good forward cabin area for the children plus some sort of quarter berth though not necessarily a fulltime double since we parents will often be living out of the saloon. The budget means approx 80-85K for max purchase assuming that even a clean boat will need 20K in near term upgrades to rigging etc. The ideal would be 70K but for the perfect boat we'd go much higher. We are pretty traditional in sense large motor, lot of electronics, watermaker, freezer and other wizardry does not interest.

So here's my list. If anyone can comment would be MOST grateful.

1. Freya 39 (good ocean boat, problem is there are none about)
2. Valiant 37; possibly a blistered Valiant 40.
3. PSC37
4. Rafiki 37 (to my mind a superior version of the Tayanas etc. Good ballast/displ ratio plus there's no annoying bowsprit).
5. Wauquiez Pretorien 35 (really not beautiful, but SO capable and practical).
6. Bayfield 36 (good specs, not to mention pretty, but very little owner feedback out on the web, so hard to gauge).
7. Shannon 38 (certainly lots of good history, but looks something like a more expensive version of the Bayfield).
8. Morgan 384 (really good value and good sailing though I understand there are construction questions over the hull-deck joint and bulwarks).

So quite a range. I'm nothing if not open minded! Thank you again.
Old 02-17-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Cape Dory 36: Beautiful Alberg hull, a bit small inside, good sailing
Add the Cape Dory 40. Great boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Pan Oceanic 36: Yet another Perry double-ender
You sure this one exists? I thought all the Pan Oceanic boats were Brewer Designs and 38 was the smallest. They are lovely boats.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I can only find information on 38',43', and 46' Pan Oceanics. All by Brewer.
Old 02-17-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
What about the Cascade 36?
Old 02-17-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
You guys know that this is a 13 month old thread and that the last time the original poster posted here was nearly a year ago. But also the guy was asking for a boat that wasn't just a tank -- but also a good sailing boat so something like Vagabond Westwind, or Cape Dory 40 or Pan Oceanic's would not exactly have been what he was looking for. Then again, some of the boats on his list would not have been either.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 02-17-2011

The Cascade 36 is a lighter boat - almost 4000 lbs lighter than the Cape Dory 36. It has a spade rudder without any skeg. It could be interesting but because some were owner finished quality will vary.

From Sailboat Data:
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect 35-38 foot 'go anywhere' boat-1.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011

But it's not an old thread anymore.