SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Perfect 35-38 foot 'go anywhere' boat

56K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  mitiempo 
#1 ·
Refining my shortlist (seems to keep getting longer!) for buying a 35-38 footer. My requirements in this order are: absolutely uncompromising seaworthiness; sufficient space for family with two small children on a circumnavigation; total budget of approx 100K; decent 'salty' looks. My standard for the seaworthiness is that she should be capable of a Cape Horn passage -- still a dream for us, but the option should be there. The flip side is we don't necessarily want a tank -- we want a sailing boat. On space, we need good forward cabin area for the children plus some sort of quarter berth though not necessarily a fulltime double since we parents will often be living out of the saloon. The budget means approx 80-85K for max purchase assuming that even a clean boat will need 20K in near term upgrades to rigging etc. The ideal would be 70K but for the perfect boat we'd go much higher. We are pretty traditional in sense large motor, lot of electronics, watermaker, freezer and other wizardry does not interest.

So here's my list. If anyone can comment would be MOST grateful.

1. Freya 39 (good ocean boat, problem is there are none about)
2. Valiant 37; possibly a blistered Valiant 40.
3. PSC37
4. Rafiki 37 (to my mind a superior version of the Tayanas etc. Good ballast/displ ratio plus there's no annoying bowsprit).
5. Wauquiez Pretorien 35 (really not beautiful, but SO capable and practical).
6. Bayfield 36 (good specs, not to mention pretty, but very little owner feedback out on the web, so hard to gauge).
7. Shannon 38 (certainly lots of good history, but looks something like a more expensive version of the Bayfield).
8. Morgan 384 (really good value and good sailing though I understand there are construction questions over the hull-deck joint and bulwarks).

So quite a range. I'm nothing if not open minded! Thank you again.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you list makes sense for the most part. The Shannon is more expensive for a reason as far as I know though. I think it is a better built boat than a Bayfield especially for the southern route. You don't say where you are as that will have some bearing on the boats available. There is a steel Freya in San Francisco for sale. Rafiki in Hawaii. PSC 37 or Valiant are excellent choices. Pretorien shouldn't be hard to find and many have been offshore. Not sure of the Morgan.

#4 · (Edited)
Of the vessels on your list, I would guess that you can find a number of PSC 37's to look at on the market. I had my eye on a few last winter...

I think your budget may be a bit low, for your goals

Here's another, not on your list but worthy...Passports.
There's one laying in Annapolis..now..

1985 Passport Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That may...be this vessel...that did a circumnavigation a few years ago

Dream Catcher

#5 ·
Bayfield has an active owners group, bayfieldyachts : Bayfield Yacht Owner Resources

I spent about 10 days getting my son's B36 ready to go offshore and then about 5-6 days crossing from FL to West End, Bahamas and on to Nassau via Berry Is. I was very impressed with the build quality and the sailing characteristics of the boat, and the space inside is really impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to take one on a major crossing, the off wind tracking by windvane is great. For a 36 with a full keel I thought the speed was very good and the motion comfort was superb even in 6' short waves coming from the aft quarter. Nice boat, easily handled.

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
The list and other suggestions all represent good candidates.

One observation I have relates to your comment that you and your wife will be "living out of the salon." It's been my experience that this works fine for shorter duration trips, like weekends and 1-2 week vacations. But it does get old after a while.

That salon space is the primary communal living space for the family, where all the normal daily routines/activities take place. When it does double duty as a sleeping cabin for half the crew, then your enjoyment of that space greatly diminishes. Not to mention the hassle of converting it back and forth, morning and evening, day after day after day after day...

My suggestion would be to focus on a design that provides at least two dedicated sleeping cabins (see for instance, the Passport 42 linked above), that allow privacy and compartmentalization.

Reactions: chef2sail
#11 ·
The perfect 35-40 footer

Thanks for all those suggestions. Noted and agreed with. The Southern Cross 35 looks a bit small (no quarter berth?) though nice. The 39 is a real possibility. There's an unprotected prop, but you probably can't have anything. The price looks right, as do the specs.

In the end there is bound to be some compromise and you have to compensate for that with your own flexibility and seamanship.

Re proper second cabin I agree this would be highly desireable, but it takes you to 40 feet most likely and the flip side of that of course is automatic higher costs than closer to 35 feet. I think a decent quarter berth would be a useful retreat even if not permanent sleeping cabin for two adults. Our last boat was a Contessa 26 -- yes, with two children and for weeks at a time -- so almost ANYTHING is going to feel spacious!

We are in NY, so mostly going to look in the NE and Maryland.

Saw those two Freyas, but want to avoid steel and a huge project. There are nice Freyas but they come up rarely...

Seems to me the PSC, Shannon and Valiant deserve their reputations but they are going to be old and the prices are possibly inflated, ie paying for the name. At that age it might be that some of these others, selling at 20K less, are no worse and, with the upgrades you're bound to end up doing anyway, might be just as good if not better.

There's a lot of boat in a 60K Rafiki, 70K Southern Cross or Wauquiez Pretorien...

Any more thoughts -- or EXPERIENCE -- about seaworthiness of Bayfields, Rafikis, Southern Cross or other less well known ones much appreciated.

Thanks again.

#12 ·
There is a Shannon 38 on Yachtworld in Texas. They are asking $99K for the boat. We looked at it but decided that it needed more work than we wanted to do. It has been on the market for quite a while so you may be able to make a low offer.

#19 ·
I keep a running list of my favorite bluewater boats with much of the same criteria you have, including price in the $50-$100k range. Here's what I've got so far:

Westsail 32: Good reputation offshore, plentiful, good value, roomier than most 32's, perhaps a bit slow and "tankish"

Cabo Rico Tiburon 36: Salty, Gozzard-genes, poor selection

PSC Mariah 31: Similar to W32 with perhaps a bit less room but better sailing ability

PSC 34/37: Good sailing performance, good looks, a bit cramped

Baba/Ta Shing/Panda 35: Beautiful Perry design with decent sailing ability, proven offshore

Halberg-Rassy Rasmus: Funky looks, a bit dated, roomy double cabin CC

Cheoy Lee Luders 36: Salty but not a great quality rep

Allied Princess 36: good value, more plasticy than others

True North 34: rare, similar to Baba's

Fantasia 35: Perry knock-off similar to Baba's, questionable build quality

Union 35: See Fantasia 35

Cape Dory 36: Beautiful Alberg hull, a bit small inside, good sailing

Hans Christian 33t/34: Beautiful boats, great pullman interior layout (2 cabins) with the 33t

Fuji 32/35/40: Gozzard-ish looking, quality rep?

Shannon 38: pricey but well-made

Pan Oceanic 36: Yet another Perry double-ender

Tayana 37: Classic Perry double-ender

Hardin Sea Wolf 41/CT 41/Island Trader 41/Yankee Clipper 41/Sea Tiger 41/Transworld 41: Big, piratey looking tanks, questionable build quality?

Niagra 35: Hinterhoeller design, unique layout

Dreadnought 32: Proven but antiquated

Vineyard Vixen 34: Rare?

Alajela/Ingrid 38: Beautiful classic, many w/ custom interiors

Island Trader 37: Roomy, offshore capable?

Islander Freeport 41: Lots of room and value, Perry design CC/deck saloon-ish

Mariner 32/40: Good value, proven offshore

If I had to pick just one of the above, with price not being an object, I'd go with the HC 33t. I love the looks, private cabins, shower, Pullman berth, full keel and canoe stern.

#22 ·
No Alberg 37, no CS36T, no Southern Cross 35/39???

I keep a running list of my favorite bluewater boats with much of the same criteria you have, including price in the $50-$100k range. Here's what I've got so far:

Westsail 32: Good reputation offshore, plentiful, good value, roomier than most 32's, perhaps a bit slow and "tankish"

Cabo Rico Tiburon 36: Salty, Gozzard-genes, poor selection

PSC Mariah 31: Similar to W32 with perhaps a bit less room but better sailing ability

PSC 34/37: Good sailing performance, good looks, a bit cramped

Baba/Ta Shing/Panda 35: Beautiful Perry design with decent sailing ability, proven offshore

Halberg-Rassy Rasmus: Funky looks, a bit dated, roomy double cabin CC

Cheoy Lee Luders 36: Salty but not a great quality rep

Allied Princess 36: good value, more plasticy than others

True North 34: rare, similar to Baba's

Fantasia 35: Perry knock-off similar to Baba's, questionable build quality

Union 35: See Fantasia 35

Cape Dory 36: Beautiful Alberg hull, a bit small inside, good sailing

Hans Christian 33t/34: Beautiful boats, great pullman interior layout (2 cabins) with the 33t

Fuji 32/35/40: Gozzard-ish looking, quality rep?

Shannon 38: pricey but well-made

Pan Oceanic 36: Yet another Perry double-ender

Tayana 37: Classic Perry double-ender

Hardin Sea Wolf 41/CT 41/Island Trader 41/Yankee Clipper 41/Sea Tiger 41/Transworld 41: Big, piratey looking tanks, questionable build quality?

Niagra 35: Hinterhoeller design, unique layout

Dreadnought 32: Proven but antiquated

Vineyard Vixen 34: Rare?

Alajela/Ingrid 38: Beautiful classic, many w/ custom interiors

Island Trader 37: Roomy, offshore capable?

Islander Freeport 41: Lots of room and value, Perry design CC/deck saloon-ish

Mariner 32/40: Good value, proven offshore

If I had to pick just one of the above, with price not being an object, I'd go with the HC 33t. I love the looks, private cabins, shower, Pullman berth, full keel and canoe stern.

#20 ·
There are many factors that make a good boat and numbers don't always give you the best idea. The sail calc on the web doesn't work well when comparing different types of boats. Comfort factor can also be suspect. Displacement/length ratio as well is not effective in comparing different types of boats.

#27 ·
kwaltersmi, you seem like a sincere person and a lot of the posts reference a lot of good boats but really, with an itinerary going around Cape Horn you can't be serious. If that is a criteria, none of these boats fit it. If your plans are to go island hopping to the Bahamas down to the Virgins most all of the boats are good choices.

Otherwise your offshore trips require a lot more boat. Small kids might have a hard time when you get caught out which undoubtedly you will. Best suggestion is to try to get a crew position in the Caribbean 1500 rally held every November.Make the trip and then decide what your needs are. My bet is that your boat choice will be a lot different. Offshore Passage Opportunities - Volunteer Crew

Try to find a 35-39 foot Amel. Built in France and renowned for being well thought out world class cruisers. Hard to find in the states and styling is unique but hardly salty. A month in the tropics and you won't want to maintain the teak of a salty looking boat.

#28 ·
Sanduckysailor - I am NOT the original poster/starter of this thread and have no intentions of sailing around Cape Horn. 3Reefs started the thread and he/she is the one with plans for Cape Horn. I can see how you might infere that I'm the one asking about boats for the Horn, but if you read from the beginning of the thread it should all make sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.