Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010

Jigdancer is on a distinguished road
C & C 29.5 1983?

I am considering buying a 1983 C & C 29.5, 4.4 draft. Not much info available online. What I did find out was that the earlier, 1970's, were not given high reviews.
The review I read said that the earlier boats were not to be compared with the boats manafactured in the 80's.

What's the scoop on the 1980 29.5's? Any advice, knowledge etc will be appreciated.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Can you provide a link or place where we can look at this.. AFAIK there was never a C&C "29.5".. There was a MkI and a MkII, very different boats but I don't think the MkII was available in 83, and in any event was under 29 feet OA.

C&C did make various one-offs and custom boats too, so maybe that's what you're looking at....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-18-2010

Thanks for the reply. My mistake, the boat is advertised as 29 MK II, 1983 with a draft of 4'4". The draft is different from the C & C specs on the 29 foot boat, so maybe it is a one-off or custom. It is in Craigslist-savannah boats. Take a look, I will value your opinion. My best Tom
Old 01-18-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Like this then....

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-18-2010

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
The boat appears to be a mark 2. A picture here IMG_5500.jpg picture by cbphotobucket7 - Photobucket

The photo album displayed is pretty nasty. Pictures on sides and at weird angles - almost makes you dizzy. Inside and out though appears to be a mark 2 which has a better reputation than the mark i and is smaller.

Advert is here C&C 29' Mark II sailboat 1983

By the way - in Canada we typically favour Kijiji over Craigslist. Trying to find tihs ad in Craigslist reminds me why.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2010

Yes, that is the boat. Any comments on performance, problems, history?
Thanks for your reponse Tom
Old 01-18-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
here's some basic starter info:

C&C 29 (Mk II) - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

You could do a lot worse than an old CandC for coastal sailing.

Wow, what is it with people who do not understand the concept of rotating pics before posting them to photobucket? If you want to sell your boat, why make prospective buyers work harder than they have to to figure out what you are selling.

Where is the seller coming up with his figures? HMP has C&C toerail for $170 cdn/ 12' length, certainly less than the "$100 per foot!" he is babbling about.

If you like C&C 29s, then take a look at it, but before you do, read sailingdogs boat inspection trip tips. If you decide to buy it, make your offer subject to survey and sea trial.
Old 01-18-2010
Just another Moderator

This model was produced towards the end of C&C's "good era" and should be a great coastal cruiser/casual racer. A handsome boat still in the traditional C&C mode, nice sheerline, sculpted cabin etc. You'll find that she's not as roomy as some other similar length boats, but she'll sail well.

However, though things look good in the pics (but I'm still a bit dizzy! ) a boat that's being listed for half market value is something of a red flag. Absolutely imperative that you a) view this boat yourself, and b) get a good survey if you decide to make a move. It's just hard to imagine a purely legitimate reason why somebody is so hot to move it at such a low price. There are a few kind-of-suspicious statements in the writeup....

On the other hand, this could be your (or somebody's) lucky day!

Last edited by Faster; 01-18-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
I looked a similar vintage C&C 29 last year and found that on the racer/cruiser spectrum it definitely comes down more heavily on the racer side than other similarly purposed boats of that era. If you found one with a decent sail inventory it could definitely be a contender as a club racer but if you're looking to do any cruising beyond occasional overnighting there are better options out there.
Old 01-18-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
4arch ... what is your standard by which you say it's not suitable for cruising? Cramped quarters? Insufficient galley/head? Just wondering ...

To OP ... definitely set foot on the boat and evaluate its condition yourself. I currently have a 1981 C&C 32. I crawled through every hatch and under every deck and I'm very happy with the quality of the boat. The hull/deck joint is excellent and I'm happy with how solidly bulkheads are attached to the hull. That is all that I can really comment on because all of the plumbing and tanks are new. The winches are all upgraded. There are substantial rigging upgrades. Other than the boat itself, I can't comment on anything else the factory might/might not have done.

The hull below the waterline is in excellent condition. There is zero blistering.