Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Value of an '82 Hunter 30???

Just looked at a Hunter 30 in freshwater - what's it's worth ie, fair market value?

Let's forget for a moment that a boats worth what a buyer is willing to pay - I like it - I just don't want to pay more than it's worth - what's it worth?

It's seems to be OK to good condition - topsides and deck appear to have a decent, recent paint job - all the bightwork (what there is) is weathered to bare wood (neglect) - sails apear to be OK (old, maybe original) -
all rigging appears servicable/OK - has RF 150 genoa - 2 Lewmar 40 ST winches - Yanmar 13 hp diesel - old but OK white bimini - virtually zero upgrades and has clearly not been 'babied' - interior seems fine though original/dated.

Let's assume a sea trial and survey don't show any big issues - what's this baby worth? I don't want to tell the asking price cause I don't want it to influence your answer -

........what's the market value of a good but tired Hunter 30..........?

She's got great lines........love how she looks in the slip..........

Help
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Go to yachtworld/com and do a search for hunter 30's, and get a resonable view of what folks want for them. If you are already at the bottom end, then you know what folks are selling at.

I believe there is also a site, might be YW for all I know too, that lists what boats actually sold for thru brokers IRIC. if you can find that site, that might give you a better feel.

A boat that age, I would swag somewhere tween 8 and 20K depending upon look, worn out, how the sails are, cushions etc. Then again, it is a Hunter, they do not do anything for me, so I would go on the lower end closer to no offer at all. BUT, with that said, ALL of the folks that own Hunters on my dock, which is 6 of them luv the boats! so my offer is not withstanding. Probably 10-15 would be my best swag.

marty
Old 01-19-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
quick and dirty NADA

Used 1982 HUNTER MARINE HUNTER 31/SL prices, specs and options at NADAguides.com

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 01-19-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
We had two Hunter 30's in our family a 1979 and a 1981. These were generally good boats. They sail well, in most respects had good build quaility, and offered nice accommodations. There are several areas to watch for with these boats. The '81 had the worst blisters that I had ever experienced, and when we were looking for the '79 we saw quite a few early ones with deck core and mast support issues.

I would expect the boat that you describe to sell for somewhere around $10-12K if the engine were perfect and the sails were not all sun rotted. It has a negative value if these are shot.

I should note that like any boat this age and condition, you could easily spend many times that putting a boat like this into reasonable shape. Its not hard to imagine that you could end up addressng some combination of:
∑ Sails, chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are beyond their useful lifespan,
∑ an engine that is in need of rebuild or replacement,
∑ worn out or out of date deck, galley, and head hardware,
∑ worn out upholstery,
∑ Non skid in need of renewing,
∑ Out of date safety gear,
∑ electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
∑ electrical and plumbing systems that need repairs, upgrades to modern standards or total replacement.
∑ Thru hulls and seacocks in need of replacement,
∑ Blisters, fatigue, rudder, rotten bulkheads, failed tabbing, or hull to deck joint or deck coring problems
∑ Keel bolt replacement (bolt on keel) or delamination of the hull from the ballast for a glassed in keel.
∑ And perhaps a whole range of aesthetic issues.

Good luck,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies