Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Canadian Sailing CS30

I have never seen or heard of this brand before. I have also looked at a pearson 303. What are people's thoughts regarding the CS30? Benefits/drawbacks? Family boat or no?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The CS30 is a Canadian Sailcraft 30 IIRC, not a Canadian Sailing 30. Read here for more about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
CS is a boat builder with a strong reputation, and though like so many they are out of business now there are some very nice examples available on the used boat market.

Raymond Wall, a British designer who had worked for CamperNicholson came to Canada in the early 70s, bringing with him the very CN-like design that became the CS27. Later came the CS 33 and 36T(Traditional). These boats were built through the 80s. Ray retired and subsequent boats were designed by Tony Castro and include the CS30, 34, 36M (Merlin), 40 and IIRC a 44 or two.

Several members here are CS owners, notably Mainesail, Vasco, Mitiempo and I'm sure some or all of them will fill you in some more.

Check them out, they are worth a look. Definitely good family boats, the earlier line is not as spacious or accommodating as the Castro boats, but many feel they were more substantially built.. Many CS36Ts have done offshore passages and a friend locally has recently sailed his CS40 from the Caribbean to Vancouver BC via Panama, Galapagos, and Hawaii.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree with what has been said. CS are well built boats and comfortable to cruise in as well as good sailing boats. Here's a link to the Owner's group on Yahoo. CSOA : Owners or anyone interested in CS yachts
The company is still in business building larger sailboats and some powerboats.
CS Yachts International
I have had my CS27 for 1 1/2 years and there were no surprises except what you will likely find with any older boat. These problems include blistering (my hull was barrier coated before I purchased it), leaking chainplates and the possibility of soft decks - they are balsa cored as most boats are/were.
Old 01-23-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
CS Owners Association

Very solid, well built boat. Became a victum of building too good a boat when the recession hit and had to shut it down.

There are a lot of them in the Great Lakes esp. the CDN side of the border, so you should be able to find a very good boat for a decent price.
Old 01-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Being as I have a jeanneau that was designed my Tony Castro, I looked at the CS owners site for demensions/looks of the 30, to see how close/far it was from looks etc to my rig, but nothing there. The review link did not have a review. Any info somewhere?

I'm going to swag the CS is more cruiser than my Jeanneau, which was marketed to a degree as a post fastnet ior style boat, altho not a true IOR looking boat by any means.

Marty
Old 01-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here you go Marty

CS 30 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Thanks Faster.

Interesting boat. It is not as sleek as mine, as I expected. Still a nice looking boat.

Marty
Old 01-24-2010

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
Kiltmadoc
CS30 is an excellent family boat that is robustly built and nicely finished by a well respected builder that went out of business along with dozens of others in approx 1989 / 1990. Parts are plentiful, especially from Holland Marine Products Holland Marine Products in Toronto and there is a very active and helpful internet support group (google "CSOA") Comments on quality and reputation above are right on in my opinion. There are numerous CS30s for sale at any given time on the Great Lakes. Ewan Campbell is a broker north of Toronto with long history in the boat building and sales industry. Check out his comments on the CS30 in his "Hall of Fame" at www.bayhabouryachts.on.ca.
I bought my CS27 from him. The Raymond Wall boats (CS27, 33 and 36T) tend to have a more traditional (and some may say "seakindly") hull shape to them. The Tony Castro designed boats including the CS30, 34 and 36M have a more modern hull shape and layout. You will not be disappointed in any CS yacht that passes a survey. In my opinion, they are at least half a notch better than comparable Pearsons (but I own a CS so take my comments with that in mind.)
Old 01-24-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
I have surveyed more than twenty CS30's and believe they are among the top 2 Canadian built boats, the other being the CS36T

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-24-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
tightgroup (01-14-2014)