Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
As a bit of a fan of Bob Perry's work I'd have to say the Norseman (40 or 447) and Passport (40 or 41) are favourites of mine.

edit - maybe the Norsemans are outside you budget though.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 01-25-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
A J boat for a completely unschooled wife to singlehand while you sleep? Dont do it.
Old 01-26-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies guys.

So far we have a Caliber 38, Tayana 37, Cabo Rico 38, PSC 40, Spencer 1330, Valiant 40, Peterson 44, J-44, Farr 44, Fast Passage 39, Norseman 447, Passport 40. I'm somewhat familiar with all of them but I'll enjoy reviewing them all again and report back. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I may have given the wrong impression about the Admiral. The sailing passion is solely mine, but she can handle the boat alright. She's "the bigger the better, & I'm "less is more". No doubt we'll compromise like we always do and find something in the middle - hence the 40 footer thread.

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Nemier,
You remember we discussed this a while back by email. Its still my belief that for a live aboard the 34'er is too small if you want the comforts. We've just got back from a few weeks away on Raven and it really is the case when you are not able to tie up somewhere every couple of days.
The place we went to has no marinas and dinghy access is also limited due to conditions in the town anchorage except under certain conditions. When you stock up on your needs for a couple of weeks and like those comforts you do get sick and tired of having to move boxes of stuff in order to get to other boxes of stuff and then put it all back again.
Water is of course an issue, as is refrigerator space. Clothes not so much but for longer than a few weeks they would become so.
That said my feeling is that for two, forty feet should be adequate.
One of the boats I mentioned (the Norseman 447) is if anything too big, though I love the things which is why I put it in. The P40 would make a lot more sense.
OTOH......Jeff mentioned the Farr 44 and the J44....I think I'm right in saying that both are fractional rig. (Jeff ?). To my mind that small headsail is a wonderful thing for the short handed crew, particularly when said crew is not all that beefy....I am talking us here not necesssarily you. The Wombet finds it quite tiring to sheet in our genoa if we are working up or down harbour which is where she usually prefers me to helm. If e.g. we were sailing something with a headsail the size of the N447 she would probably leave me and Raven for a Winnebago.
Cheers

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-26-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I'm not selling.
Kidding, good luck, see you on the water.
Old 01-26-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Here's a few possible bluewater options to consider in the ~40 foot range and less than $200k:

TaShiba 40
Panda 38/40
Halberg Rassy 38/42
Swan 39-44
Lafitte 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Kwaltersmi - thanks for those suggestions, I've added them to my growing research list. The Swan's will be getting some serious Yachtworld time.

TDW - I remember our chats and meant to get back to you. I recently concluded that my 34' Van de Stadt project proved too costly. I was already up to $470,000 CDN dollars and still hadn't completely costed out the final equipment specs. Long story short, I could not afford it - and all this money and effort was going into a new build that the Admiral was not crazy about and I was aware that the steel boat was going to be too slow for my liking (at 34') I couldn't muster spending half a million on a vessel that wasn't exactly what we were looking for, so back to plan A. For the record, the new build is not shelved for good. Watch this space in 20 years.

All - My thinking at this time, is to go the performance route. I believe these boats will be easier to single-hand which is my primary goal. Right now I'm looking at a Dehler 41CR. I'm finding this all pretty exciting!
Old 01-26-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
We have a Tayana 42 center cockpit, Vancouver edition that we are refitting now, we are out in Abbotsford if you want to come and have a look at blue water boat. Not for sale, but may give you an idea, or two.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Whitby 42/Brewer 12.8

Let me start by saying that if you are going with just you and your wife, and she's willing but not enthusiastic (which is what I'm gathering), I question whether you will be sailing the 5 Capes, or why you would even want to do so.

In any event, I think a great boat that is now a budget boat, is the Whitby 42 or its close cousin the Brewer 12.8. They both are essentially the same boat, but the Brewer is considered more the performance oriented of the two.

They are built like a brick house, have an incredibly comfortable and easy motion, have huge tankage, lots of space, great storage, a very comfortable cockpit, shippy looking, split rig so easy to handle for short-handed crew (particularly a husband and wife crew), and a whole lot more to recommend them. Plus, they can be had for substantially less than your budget, meaning under $100,000.

The downside is that they are old at this point, and likely will need meaningful upgrades, depending on the boat you can find. But, based on the initial purchase price, you can refit them completely and still be way under your budget.

Old 01-26-2010

Booya is on a distinguished road
My thought would be one of the last Ericson sailboats made by Pacafic Seacraft. Built like a truck, quality construction, etc. Check cout Yachtworld and search for a 38' Pacific Seacraft Ericson 380 Offshore. they have a nice one for 180K. Meets your criteria nicley.

-Bruce