Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
...ps - Fast...that Spectre 41DS is a good looking boat isn't it ? Expensive sucker though.
Yes, td, it's a handsome boat. Here's another in California, though you may be looking for something newer.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

There are at least 4 or them, one a 43 - the last built - in our little club. All the owners are pleased, and all are fastidious boat keepers. The windows are not as large as some of the other PH types like the Cooper series, and clearly many of these boats have traveled extensively offshore.

They do hold their value - esp the latest 43s but they have some nice features and are a showcase for BC boatbuilding.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010

3Reefs is on a distinguished road
most seaworthy

I've got the same search, though with less money, and happily taking a few feet off. But here is a short list. Would anyone have a stab at ranking the list -- purely in relation to seaworthiness. So capsize resistance, higher AVS, robust build, seakindly shape. All the rest, the space, the looks, the tankage, etc etc, is essentially malleable. Pure seaworthiness is what I want to focus on at outset. You'll see I've left off Tayana 37, Ingrid 38, HansChristian, etc because I just think they are too heavy, too tank-like, and I want a boat that's strong, but lighter than those. A boat that could sail out of trouble, not just plough through it. Here goes (in no particular order):

Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Bayfield 36
Morgan 382
Southern Cross 39
Sabre 38
Bristol 40
Spencer 35/42
Valiant 37
Valiant 40
PSC 37
Shannon 38
Rafiki 37 (the only 'Tayana' type, but actually lighter than Tayanas and, I understand, better sailers).
Old 01-27-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Reefs View Post
I've got the same search, though with less money, and happily taking a few feet off. But here is a short list. Would anyone have a stab at ranking the list -- purely in relation to seaworthiness. So capsize resistance, higher AVS, robust build, seakindly shape. All the rest, the space, the looks, the tankage, etc etc, is essentially malleable. Pure seaworthiness is what I want to focus on at outset. You'll see I've left off Tayana 37, Ingrid 38, HansChristian, etc because I just think they are too heavy, too tank-like, and I want a boat that's strong, but lighter than those. A boat that could sail out of trouble, not just plough through it. Here goes (in no particular order):

Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Bayfield 36
Morgan 382
Southern Cross 39
Sabre 38
Bristol 40
Spencer 35/42
Valiant 37
Valiant 40
PSC 37
Shannon 38
Rafiki 37 (the only 'Tayana' type, but actually lighter than Tayanas and, I understand, better sailers).
I'd create a new thread on this...
Old 01-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
well this one is not the ideal boat to make the three capes, but it is a lot more seaworthy than it appears to be. It is an ocean going boat, I would say in same league as a j120, but with a much better interior. I would say a lovely interior, much more adapted to cruising.

The add talks about racing but this is more a fast cruiser that would not look bad on club racing. And the price is right.

2004 Wauquiez Centurion Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2010

sailordave is on a distinguished road
One of these was in our class at KWRW last week. Not a bad looking boat. We were trading places all week until a chain plate partially pulled out and we were done for the week!
Old 02-07-2010

bosn181 is on a distinguished road
looking for a 40ish offshore boat

you need to look at the Corbin 39 currently for sale in Victoria BC. this vessel is being completely rebuilt and Corbin's are top shelf for offshore capabilities.
Amazing boats when they are not the home built interior versions, solid hulls, sail great and easy to handle
it is on Yachtworld and currently in Westbay Marina, Victoria BC.....very nice boat in your price range

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If you mean the one listed by Carmanah yes it does look good.
Old 02-07-2010

petmac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
I am now looking / researching for my next sailboat.
The admiral insists she wants to come (thank God), but a 34 footer will not cut it for her. I figure I can safely single-hand a 40 footer (say 38' - 42') and I'm asking you all the same question 3-Reefs asks - but move the boat size up a bit.

Please recommend what 40'-ish sailing vessel you would want to sail offshore - and around the Capes if required. I will be single-handing the boat.
Total budget limited to say $200,000 all-in.
I'm very much interested in your opinion. Thanks.
Buy this one and upgrade. B40 on the west coast that looks to be in good shape and well priced. Ferenc Matte wrote in The World's Best Sailboats.. "the Bermuda 40 is without question the greatest fiberglass boat of all time". I have to admit that I have a bias. I single hand frequently.

1964 Hinckley Bermuda Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-08-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
40 footer update

Guys / Gals,
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have written each one down and I'm doing research on every one as time permits. I'll post a quick synopsis when I'm complete. Just wanted to say thank you and please keep your suggestions coming!
Old 03-23-2010

hgv50 is on a distinguished road
Out of the HRs, we went for the Hallberg-Rassy 41 (1978). Decent ones are usually around $ 200,000 (pretty well equipped then; no need to spend another 50% to get ready). Cost of fixing stuff on the HRs is *not* higher than any other brand.