SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   the perfect 40' offshore 'go-anywhere' boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/61545-perfect-40-offshore-go-anywhere-boat.html)

nemier 01-25-2010 01:50 PM

the perfect 40' offshore 'go-anywhere' boat

I am now looking / researching for my next sailboat.
The admiral insists she wants to come (thank God), but a 34 footer will not cut it for her. I figure I can safely single-hand a 40 footer (say 38' - 42') and I'm asking you all the same question 3-Reefs asks - but move the boat size up a bit.

Please recommend what 40'-ish sailing vessel you would want to sail offshore - and around the Capes if required. I will be single-handing the boat.
Total budget limited to say $200,000 all-in.
I'm very much interested in your opinion. Thanks.

sailingdog 01-25-2010 02:20 PM

I'd point out that if the admiral is planning on coming along, she should probably learn how to sail the boat herself and be able to singlehand it as well. Most cruising couples describe their sailing as two people singlehanding the same boat at different times.

One of the most tragic stories I've heard is of a husband and wife team where the husband fell overboard and the wife didn't know enough to even attempt an MOB recovery. All she could do was watch him recede into the distance...

If you do have to go larger, I'd recommend sticking closer to the 38' size rather than the 42' size. Cost is one reason, but size of the gear and how difficult it is to single-hand are another reason.

Caliber makes a 38 that might be appropriate for what you're doing. Tayana makes a 37' boat that also might be good, as are the Cabo Rico 38s.

night0wl 01-25-2010 03:00 PM

Around the capes? Well, I dont know if I'd trust anything short of steel pilothouse cutter in those lattitudes.

If you're circumnavigating the traditional route (Red Sea/Suez and Panama Canals) I'd probably do it in a Pacific Seacraft 40. Not gonna find one for $200k that doesn't need a lot of work...but in my minds eye, its the perfect blend of features, lines, robustness with a strong history of performance.

Plus, the rig is 55' high, so you can squeeze under every bridge on the ICW, including the Julia Tuttle in Miami to stay protected all the way up an down which is what most people end up doing anyway.

mitiempo 01-25-2010 03:49 PM

i did a Yachtworld search in B.C.and didn't find any I would consider suitable, but this boat is. Not sure of price but I have been aboard and everything is first class from design to varnish. Prairie Dust

Faster 01-25-2010 03:52 PM

Second Brian's rec of the Spencer 1330... plenty of these have made the trek, including cape roundings. Local build too (this one looks nicely finished to boot.)

Jeff_H 01-25-2010 04:31 PM

If I had to pick a boat with a 200,000 budget for the kind of voyaging that you are considering, I would probably either go the heavy route with something like a Valliant 40 or Peterson 44, or go the performance route with something like a J-44 or Farr 44, but then again, I'm not saying that you have to go the performance route. Its just what I would do.

Jeff

mitiempo 01-25-2010 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Layout and profile of the Spencer I linked to. Not too heavy, not too light. My favorite of the Spencer designs.

CharlieCobra 01-25-2010 04:53 PM

Oh Joy made the Horn from East to West so I wouldn't discount other than steel boats for it. Jessica Watson just made the Horn going the other way and the Force 10 storm that followed just fine in an S&S 34.

smackdaddy 01-25-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 563608)
Oh Joy made the Horn from East to West so I wouldn't discount other than steel boats for it. Jessica Watson just made the Horn going the other way and the Force 10 storm that followed just fine in an S&S 34.

WTH??? "Oh Joy" went 'round the Horn? Holy crap dude, you never told me that!!!

JohnRPollard 01-25-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemier (Post 563533)
I am now looking / researching for my next sailboat.
The admiral insists she wants to come (thank God), but a 34 footer will not cut it for her. I figure I can safely single-hand a 40 footer (say 38' - 42') and I'm asking you all the same question 3-Reefs asks - but move the boat size up a bit.

Please recommend what 40'-ish sailing vessel you would want to sail offshore - and around the Capes if required. I will be single-handing the boat.
Total budget limited to say $200,000 all-in.
I'm very much interested in your opinion. Thanks.

With your requirements and budget, I would give this boat a serious look:

2000 Fast Passage 39