Minnesota boat shopping - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp375 View Post
I've thought about a Hobie, but I'm not really interested in a monohull to start out with. From what I hear, they are a blast on the water though.

If not the monohull then what exactly are you looking for?
A Sunfish, Laser, and all the boats listed a few posts ago are all monohulls.

Or are you perhaps thinking of the Hobie Catamarans which is why I specifically clarified MONOHULL.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 01-29-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If not the monohull then what exactly are you looking for?
A Sunfish, Laser, and all the boats listed a few posts ago are all monohulls.

Or are you perhaps thinking of the Hobie Catamarans which is why I specifically clarified MONOHULL.

Oops, I mistyped. I meant, MULTI-hull. Not monohull. What I want is a monohull not a cat.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-29-2010
Francophobe

What I am hearing is a somewhat dry dinghy or a very small swing keel boat.

Some ideas
Lightning
Flying Scot
Thistle
Catalina 22
Boston Whaler Harpoon
and many, many more. Any of the above or similar boats could be gotten for ~$2000, but you are going to have to hunt. They are on eBay, Craigslist, the newspaper classified section. They might be on a bulletin board at a sailing club. Or class websites. You will do footwork, ask questions of other sailors in your area, and eventually find your boat

Good luck!

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 25 Old 01-29-2010

Get proactive. Instead of waiting for boats to come on the market and sellers to set the price, place some wanted ads. Craigslist, kijiji, the usual suspects, but also print up some flyers and hang them on bulletin boards at the grocery store, your workplace, etc. You will be surprised at the responses you get- boats that the seller had taken off the market, boats that somebody had thought about selling but never quite got around to it, boats that had been sitting in backyards under cover since the kids left for college, etc. Often, when you ask, "how much do you want for it?" the answer is, "I don't know, make me an offer."

See, the thing is, in the price range you are looking in, the boats aren't valuable enough for listing with a broker, and not offering a big enough return for the owner to waste a whole lot of time and effort advertising it for sale. I have seen owners who have been halfheartedly trying to get rid of an old trailer sailer for years for a few hundred dollars, and their total marketing investment has been a "for sale" sign, and maybe rolling it out front during the semi-annual neighbourhood yard sale, then rolling it back into the backyard or garage for another year.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-31-2010

You may want to look at a San Juan 21. A popular one design, swing keel, well built, sails well and has a small cabin. Easy to trailer too. You may be able to find one at your price range with a trailer. Don't rule out doing a bit of racing. I don't race now, never placed very well in the fleet when I did, but it was one of the best ways to learn how to sail well. In one of these one design fleet like the San Juan 21, you can race and cruise quite inexpensively (working sails: main and jib only), with helpful and non snobby people. We raced, and cruise the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands for three weeks in a San Juan 21 almost thirty years ago, and still count them as the best carefree, inexpensive, low maintenance sailing experience we ever had.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-31-2010

The San Juan 21 Sailing Page Jim Hubbard's San Juan 21 Sailing Page often has boats for sale.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-04-2010

At that price, I think your first question is open daysailer or cabin?

If trailering for each use, a lighter open design is probably better. An O'Day Daysailer in good sail-ready shape should be available all over for $1500 +/-. Mine was very nice and cost $900, but it wasn't for sale until I asked the PO about selling the boat in his backyard, so the other poster who suggested to look creatively is right on. I know of a Buccaneer here in my town that can be had for the asking... or maybe $250, but the owner has not listed it for sale cause it would be too much bother.

Similar sized open boats at comparable prices to consider would be:
- Interlake
- Highlander
- Buccaneer
- Flying Scot
- Rhodes 19
though all are a tad bigger than the ODay DS and finding a decent specimen at $2K might take some serious looking. The nice thing about DaySailers is that something like 15,000 of them were made... E-bay has a seller in Wisconsin that seems to always have one up for sale and do a national Craigslist search and you'll probably find 30 to 50 for sale.

If a cabin interests you, consider the greater weight for towing, launching and retrieving. More maintenance too. Most cabin 20 footers are less comfortable under sail (with 3 or 4 people) than my 17 foot DS because the cockpits are pretty small. But you get a cabin so ask yourself, why do I need it? Cover from rain? Overnights? Secure storage? These may or may not be important.

Last is sailing performance. Take an open Rhodes 19 or Flying Scott and compare similar size cabin design boat (say an ODay 19, Ensenada 20 or San Juan 21). Those cabin boats will be way less agile and (to me) less fun.

Isn't looking fun? Kinda makes me get the itch.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-04-2010 Thread Starter

I did want a boat with a cabin, but since I had to lower my price range, I think an open daysailer is probably the way to go now. I'm guessing you can get a better boat for the budget when sticking to a cabinless boat. I've noticed 'for sale' postings are starting to pick up a bit on Craigslist. People must be starting to think about spring.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-04-2010

JP - There are probably 5 boats in my marina for sale and they just have a sign up. One is a US Yachts 23', shallow draft, cabin, etc. It's on a roller trailer as well and I think it will go for < $2K. Decent boat I think. There is a SanJuan 21 as well but I'm not sure of the price. Let me know if you have any interest and I'll look up the owners for more info or get you phone numbers. You might want to cruise a few marinas in your area to see if there are any close to home. All boats are for sale - you just gotta ask and offer the right amount!
Hal
post #20 of 25 Old 02-04-2010

Hal,
I would be interested in the US Yacht you spoke about. I am just over in Lafayette, Indiana. Would it be to much to be put in touch with the owner?

Thanks,
Geoff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.