Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
You need a reeeeeeeeeeeeely good survey by someone who's an expert. Here's a real story.
I had a friend who fell in love with a 50 ft steel powerboat built by a top name German yard. I advised a good survey. It was done with OK results. They later pulled the boat and found than hull rust had been "double plated" over and sections had to be cut out and new plate welded in. They also found that the tank areas hadn't been inspected and frame webbing had rusted out as well. They were pretty well off to begin with and one was a project manager. Still they sold thier house, used up thier savings and finally threw in the towel on the project and moved to project jobs in Korea.
There are surveyors who do steel ships and can do the job right so you know what you're getting into. Check with reputable shipyards and insurers. Mak sure that you know what they're checking and what they're not.
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Thanks Paulk and Waltthesalt for you input. To answer some of your questions I'll be sailing initially in the San Francisco bay. It blows pretty hard here especially in the summer so I think that should be OK. As for the mast they tell me the new mast is aluminum. I think those are old pictures so I'm not sure what else they changed. I've been pummeling them with questions. Evidently the boat was given the once over in '93 and some of the plating was replaced and they used some paint system on the inside. They keep insisting it's in great shape and the owner has cared for it lovingly for the last 35 years or so. I'm not sure about the engine but I have a decent size budget in case I need to put a new Yanmar in her.

In any case I'm going there the week after next which brings me to my next question. I can find surveyors in the Netherlands on Yachtworld but I don't know how good any of them are? Anyone have any advice on finding someone good in the Netherlands? I have no clue about who or who is not reputable. I don't even know what shipyards and insurers are reputable other than Royal Huisman who really doesn't build smallish yachts any more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook