Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010

Controletti is on a distinguished road
Tanzer22 or US25

Hi everybody,

Although I have been reading posts in this forum for a while this is my first own post.

I live near Vancouver, have been sailing lasers, 420s and other small boats in the Vancouver Bay for a few years and would now like to buy my first small cabin boat to gain some experience pocket-cruising around the BC Gulf Islands.

My budget is limited, i.e. my price range is between $3500 and $5000.

I have been looking at different boats for months now and have finally shortlisted 3:

1) A Tanzer 22 in excellent shape, has been cared for like a baby by her 1st owner for 30 years. Motor newly maintained, hull checked and cleaned regularly, she was hauled and repainted just a few months ago, rigging fine, sails fine, the interior is in perfect condition, she comes with 2 anchors, GPS, VHF, depth sounder, main, jib, genoa. Asking price is $3500. The boat is absolutely ready to go.

2) a US 25, the general condition is OK, but a few things need to be fixed. The engin needs servicing, stalled a few times when gears were changed, the hull needs cleaning, the last time she was out of the water was over 2 years ago. The window sealings look like they need to be renewed. The Sails are OK, the interior is a bit more spacious than the Tanzer, e.g. separate head. The asking price was 5300, but I got him down to $4200.

3) A Catalina 27, the hull and mast of which are in good shape, but it has been just sitting for over 2 years and looks in terrible condition. Lines, rigging, winches need replacing, cleats are missing, it needs to be cleaned all over, etc. etc. The owner promised to fix everything up and sell it to me for $5000. This will take him at least a month or two. Well, don't know.

I wonder if anybody in this forum knows the 3 boats and can give me any advice. Hauling, motor service and fixing a few things on the US 25 will cost me another $1000. Is it worth spending a bit more on the US25 for its size compared with the Tanzer 22? Do the 3 extra feet make the US 25 safer than the Tanzer?

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The waterline length is not that different between the US25 and the Tanzer 22, and there is a fantastic Tanzer 22 class, which means their is a support network available. of the choices listed above, the Tanzer 22 is the pick of the litter, and would be near the top of any list of sub-25 ft boats.

What is your overall budget for sailing this this year, not just the purchase price, but the amount you can comfortably afford to spend on maintenance and upgrades?
Old 01-28-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
I think the Tanzer is the right choice for your first keel boat. There is a class association group with lots of information and answers. Any issues have allready been solved. It is used as a training vessel at at least one spot. I have a very similar boat and is fine for day sailing and coastal weekending. It is also possible to trailer the Tanzer.
Old 01-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The waterline length is not that different between the US25 and the Tanzer 22, and there is a fantastic Tanzer 22 class, which means their is a support network available. of the choices listed above, the Tanzer 22 is the pick of the litter, and would be near the top of any list of sub-25 ft boats.

What is your overall budget for sailing this this year, not just the purchase price, but the amount you can comfortably afford to spend on maintenance and upgrades?
Hi bljones,

Since I am a novice to cruising, I'd like to limit my budget on maintenance and upgrades for the next 2 years to about $2000-$3000 and then see how it goes.
Old 01-29-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I have owned and raced a Tanzar 22. My first boat. I have sailed and raced on a Cat 27. Both of these boats are great. If it was my first boat, Tanzar hands down. It sails like a dream and can be single hand easily. The interior for overnight trips is wonderful. The boat is built like a tank and will out sail everything out there short of a J22. When I owned mine I had 7 sails for her. I won most races I entered. I miss that boat. One thing to check is the swing keel pivot pin and wire rope. If that is great I would get this boat in a heart beat.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-29-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Is the Tanzer you're looking at a swing keel? They were available fixed keel too, which would be my preference for sailing in this area. They are a great little boat.

For the same money the Catalina will be a better 'cruiser' - lots more room but quite a bit more boat on several fronts.... moorage, maintenance, etc. Also a Cat 27 for under $5K around here is definitely going to be a fixer-upper, or at least a major cleaner-upper (and that's OK)

Of the three, the US 25 would be at the bottom of my list.. pitifully small cockpit for starters.

btw - welcome to Sailnet.. always good to see the BC ranks building up!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I have owned and raced a Tanzar 22. My first boat. I have sailed and raced on a Cat 27. Both of these boats are great. If it was my first boat, Tanzar hands down. It sails like a dream and can be single hand easily. The interior for overnight trips is wonderful. The boat is built like a tank and will out sail everything out there short of a J22. When I owned mine I had 7 sails for her. I won most races I entered. I miss that boat. One thing to check is the swing keel pivot pin and wire rope. If that is great I would get this boat in a heart beat.
Hi Melrna,

Thanks for your advice. This Tanzer is actually a fixed keel, and I think that's the boat I'll just get. I have read and heard so many good things about it.

Controletti
Old 01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Is the Tanzer you're looking at a swing keel? They were available fixed keel too, which would be my preference for sailing in this area. They are a great little boat.

For the same money the Catalina will be a better 'cruiser' - lots more room but quite a bit more boat on several fronts.... moorage, maintenance, etc. Also a Cat 27 for under $5K around here is definitely going to be a fixer-upper, or at least a major cleaner-upper (and that's OK)

Of the three, the US 25 would be at the bottom of my list.. pitifully small cockpit for starters.

btw - welcome to Sailnet.. always good to see the BC ranks building up!
Hi Faster,

Thanks you. Well, the owner said he'd fix all things we agreed that need fixing and then sell it to me for $5K, but I think it will still be high maintenance.
Old 01-29-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Good luck with the purchase and let us know what you get and how you like it. Maybe make a detail post with pictures here would be appreciated by those looking for the same thing you are.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-29-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I own a US25 and it's great. Amazing well balanced boat that works really well as a starter. There are some that don't like them because of the reputation of the builder of some sorts but I don't see it. You'll have lots of space on the inside because they are almost the same as a larger boat because of the slightly reduced cockpit size.

To each his own of course but I would recommend the US25 no problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.