Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
bmac,

I don't understand why you are even asking? It seems you already have the answers. Everybody gets through life differently. Some successfully, and some not.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
Don't mean to sound like I have all the answers - this will be my first big boat. I've been to keelboat sailing school in Newport, grew up sailing dinghies and kayaks and have spent a lot of time on the water and in the field for work. I am on here to absorb opinions and I appreciate the gut reaction that a large boat without an inboard is going to have some problems.

That said it comes down to money. The boat in question has already taken a huge hit on resale due to its toasted inboard and has come within my grasp. I could buy a smaller boat with a functional inboard for the same price but I am very claustraphobic and would really like something a little bigger. 13,500 pounds seems quite light many 32 footers seem about this weight. Perhaps one day I'll have an extra 10k to rebuild the inboard but for now jerry rigging a small outboard for docking and learning to sail well is the only option I can afford.

As to systems like refrigeration I am trying to eliminate as many systems as possible perhaps only those legally required. A spray bottle for a shower and a five gallon bucket for a head are being considered here... I am in my twenties and see this as an adventure focused on the sailing itself more than anything else. I want to spend as much time in silence under sail as possible everything else is a means to that end.
Old 02-01-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You will destroy resale, looks, and usability of the boat all at once. Most will listen to reason and do the right thing. Some will spend a lot on a "better" idea which has been proven not to work in the past. I think putting an outboard on this stern to try and push a 13,500 pound boat at any controllable speed won't work and I think others will agree. A vertical transom would be more workable but still a bad idea. Smaller outboards aren't really designed to push this weight either. A better choice would be to either fix the inboard or swap it for a rebuilt inboard. If you do this work yourself it probably won't cost much more than what you plan and it will work. But it's your money so it's your bad choice to make.
Attached Thumbnails
1980 Cherubini Hunter 36 questions-hunter.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010

If I went down to a smaller more minimal inboard that could be an affordable option. Say a 12 hp yanmar? The boat will be underpowered but I'm in no hurry.

From what I've seen to work on inboards one must crawl back into dark cramped areas in contortionist positions - it all looks quite gross. How much do you reckon some sort of workable small diesel could be had for? I really hate spending money on engines and investing energy and time into planet destroying monstrosities... I also am not sure I can lift inboards and will be doing all the work myself. The boat is currently in the water and aside from hauling it for survey I wasn't planning to keep it on the hard but rather to buy it and start sailing right away.

I read through the thread and have been contemplating what a monstrosity a transom mount might be - its ugly, it adds holes (leaks) where there needn't be any and it will only work in calm water and work poorly in that the boat will be very slow. I could probably do the outboard for some $1500 maybe less if I find a steal on the motor. I haven't figured out how to reinforce the transom. The good thing is the mount could be on a quick release bracket and the whole monstrosity taken off as soon as I get to sailing grounds. The prop and shaft can be removed for a faster hull - the space of the inboard converted to sail lockers etc and A couple hundred pounds less weight.

I suppose the advantage of doing an engine swap myself is I will learn all about my new boat. It seems the 3GMD is obsolete I will have to change to a different motor anyway and I lean toward smaller and simpler and most of all cheapest.
Old 02-01-2010

kredit is on a distinguished road
I have an inboard and an outboard on my 25' .Previous owner installed the mount on the vertical transom for reasons I dont know,really. The inboard runs great and I bought a small outbd. for emergency/dinghy.I single handle sail and the engine is very important for setting sails ,etc...Theres many things that happen when you will need instant propulsion. especially as you will be learning. peace of mind is sailings mantra!

The time you take to slap on an outboard and all its controls you might as well get the inboard done. It sounds like you should try a smaller boat with the complete package cuz you want to sail and not spend time getting the boat ready. my first boat was a 24' with a rigged outboard that was a pain in the ass to use. It sounds simple but the reality,and for a 36' hunter,is grossly misunderstood.good luck!!
Old 02-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that rebuilding a diesel can be far more cost-effective than going through the trouble and expense of getting an outboard and setting up a mounting system for it and all that. A decent 9.9 HP outboard is a couple grand... and underpowered for the boat at that.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
bmac,

You seem pretty interested in this particular boat. It's got alot of room inside, and you like the cockpit. Do you like the boat for what it is, or just the price?

What problems do you know about other than the engine? There could be many, or it could be a really nice boat with a blown motor. What exactly is wrong with the Yanmar?

You haven't mentioned the price. IMO, if you can't buy the boat and repair/replace the engine for 20K, look for another boat. If that is more than your budget, look for another boat. If this is possible, I'd go for it. It's a nice boat for that kind of money....if you keep the inboard (and nothing smaller than the original engine).

Ralph
Old 02-01-2010

I could do it for 20k (owners asking 14k at the moment) but it might be wiser for me to go with something smaller for 10k. I looked at a nice Tartan 30 today that looked ready to go. I will agonize over the two boats - lots of space and a bit more speed vs cheap and will get the job done. Am going to start another thread about the Tartan 30 though these two are my short list and I want to compare them.
Old 02-01-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that rebuilding a diesel can be far more cost-effective than going through the trouble and expense of getting an outboard and setting up a mounting system for it and all that. A decent 9.9 HP outboard is a couple grand... and underpowered for the boat at that.
SD,

And even then a 9.9 would be far too heavy to lift off a stern unless the OP installed a lifting hoist, then it would be too heavy and awkward to move around down below...overall the whole thing is a pretty ungly idea.
Old 02-01-2010

I agree its ugly and I dont want to start building things my purpose is to go sailing not to get bogged down in projects. What is the cheapest inboard replacement for the Yanmar 3GMD (can be any brand, can be used or rebuilt)? Does anyone know of 'a guy' who rebuilds marine diesels and sells 'em for a song? If I try putting it in myself how much could I pull off an engine swap for and is this going to be a huge PITA? I used to enjoy working on cars (note used to I am over it) so I'm not mechanically inept. Is it basically a matter of pulling out the old, dropping in the new and hooking up some hoses and bolting it down? Are their engine cranes for boats? I've seen people hanging them from booms and such.