Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010

bmacfarquhar is on a distinguished road
Jacklines will be used a lot and I can just get a rope ladder for swimming no point drilling holes in the boat...

I am having a hard time coming up with anything wrong with this Tartan 30 I may go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

What do sailboat survey run these days? I got a quote for $20/ ft plus travel expenses - thats like $700!! I might just read a ton of books and do my own. The PO had a survey 4 years ago I can read through that report it seems he only used it about once a year and is selling it as he uses his powerboat and doesn't sail... I would do a survey at $10 / ft anyone know a guy who isn't so expensive in Central Jersey/ NY area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Regarding surveys, most insurance companies will require one if you plan to insure. So if you are going to insure, you might as well get it before you put any more money into it. The quote that you got would certainly be high for this area but it may be the going rate where you are.
Old 02-01-2010

I'm hoping to skip insurance and get away from NYC as soon as I am confident in the boat and my abilities and head off down south on a cruise... There might be a month in the area but the PO said hes got insurance on it and will leave it on till I leave...

So the survey is not required. I will try and get a look at the report from 4 years ago. The PO works in the yard so he probably sees a lot of boats come and go and he maintains things well the boat was remarkably well kept.

I always planned a survey but last time I was in the market for one it was $10 a foot - in the last 4 years the price doubled? I just e-mailed a whole bunch of surveyors hopefully someone is still reasonable.
Old 02-02-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Ifyou are planning to do a self survey, which most here won't recommend, here's a link that will help. Boat Inspection Trip Tips
Old 02-02-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I doubt that any insurance company, even if it your homeowner's and automobile policy holders will insure your boat without a current survey of the boat. A lot can happen in 4 years since the last survey was done. Speak to your insurance agent first (who will know very little about marine insurance).

I suggest you shop around if you don't like the price. Try: Find a Marine Surveyor | NAMSGlobal
and
The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)
to find surveyors in your state and compare prices. It costs what they charge by and large.
By all means do read up and do your own survey. No insurer will take your word for the status of your boat without another opinion however.
Having a gas engine is the least of your worries as when the monthly bills start coming in for winter and summer storage start to pile up they will cost much more then the 'survey' and the 'fuel' you have to buy. Oh, and you can forget about the 'entry fee' of the purchase price because the bills will keep mounting.
The more you do for yourself the less you will have to pay but that does not include the 'survey'.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfarquhar View Post
To what extent is it stupidity to sleep in an enclosed cabin containing a gasoline system? Especially a 33 year old gas engine thats probably on its last legs. Somehow I am uncomfortable living in a cabin full of gasoline. I suppose a repower could be done to diesel at considerable cost. I could just run the atomic 4 until it dies and worry about it later. How common are fires from gas inboards?

I take it there may be a silence because no one has lived to tell the tale...

Like others have said, you're making a big deal out of not much of anything. If the tank is leaking, well, gas smells really bad... you'll know. Fumes are the issue. To put in perspective, there were thousands of boats powered with an A-4. Very few have blown up and/or otherwise killed their owners. You have a better chance of getting hit by a train and struck by lightning at same instant you win a Mega Millions jackpot. The bigger issue is looking into the cost of re-powering as your A-4 reaches the end of it's functional life.
Old 02-02-2010

I e-mailed about 50 surveyors and the cheapest quote is $450 from a guy who specializes in Hull Machinery and Cargo surveys. Not to say he won't know what hes doing he is accredited...

Calebd I realize what a money pit a boat can be I am planning to take off and sail for a long time - I wouldn't buy a boat just to pay for it while I worked. I am going to live on it and sail down to the Caribbean. I am not planning on insuring it at this time but it will have some insurance to begin with from the PO for a month into my ownership.
Old 02-02-2010

Back to the transom ladder I plan to be on moors and anchorages and do a lot of ferrying supplies by dinghy - I would think some sort of a good ladder is essential. Perhaps some sort of pulley system for hoisting supplies aboard? Maybe a platform at the base of the ladder?

To add a transom ladder will it require reinforcing the hull? I imagine drilling holes in fiberglass and bolting a ladder on is not how it works what is a safe strong way to bolt things on? Do I need like giant washers to ensure I dont break the glass?
Old 02-02-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
You'll need more than washers. You may want to pick up some books and have them on hand while cruising. I would use some substantial backing when installing a ladder.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-02-2010
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
On the survey question, I would not buy the boat without one. Even at $700, the surveyor may find a $10,000 problem you could miss. Unless you are getting the boat really cheap (really, really cheap), look at the survey as being part of your purchase/investment analysis. Knowing what you're buying is a good thing while you are out on the open water.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.