Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010

millyman01 is on a distinguished road
best trailerable blue water cruiser

I have a Mac 22 now and have taken it to the Keys and Lake Michigan. I live in Wisconsin so any boat has to be trailerable. The S2 shoal draft looks good. I have 30 days vacation a year and would like to cruise the Carribbean. Help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
milly,

More information needed. Price limits, crew requirements, performance requirements, etc.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 02-04-2010

millyman01 is on a distinguished road
Well cheap I hope.One or two crew. Trailerable is most important.Actually I looked at Mac 26 but feel my 22 is just as good and storage on the 22 is better. But a stronger hull I feel might be important. Maybe I can plan around serious lumpy water. But you never know.I do worry about the swing keel failing in very rough water.
Old 02-04-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Hake Seward 26/30 seem to be reasonably seaworth and trailerable. Then again, a lot of folks trailer J105's legally under the 8.5' width by tilting them on the trailer! They are reasonably light, that a pickup can pull it. Granted you will want an 8lug SW or dually truck!

Reality is, also, what are you towing it with? Are you talking reasonably new, or older? Some of the older IOR 1/4 ton boats, ie Sanjuan 24, Cal T-4, or some not, ie Catalina 25, San juan has some 26-27' boats that are trailer able that could get from FL to the islands south with some weather planing.

Some boats like a melges 32 have drop keels, that allow them to be trailered easy enough too, Certainly capable of off shore work......BUT, rather lacking in interior niceties. There is a whole slew of options in monohulls.

Another option is an older Farrier 27 or equal style trimarans, trailerable at 8.5', but can move along in the low to mid teen range on good days. Way better than the 3-5 knots at best for a mid 20' mono hull! This can increase your range for a given day.

Then comes budget. A Hake will be 20-30K minimum. An older 24' 1/4 ton ior style boat, you could probably find boat and trailer for $5G if you hunt around.....A J105 or melges 32 figure $80-100K, then a custom trailer at $10K...........

marty
Old 02-04-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Being an old shoe kinda guy, I like the Lyle Hess designed Falmouth Cutter 22 and Nor'sea 27, both trailerable but in the 25 to 50 k range. Less expensive are his Balboas and Montgomerys. Seaworthiness tends to have been one of Hess' priorities from what I've heard.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 02-04-2010

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
For BEST, I second the Nor'Sea 27. Also consider Dana 24 (and other smaller PSC boats). Both are trailerable boats that have circumnavigated. I don't think you are going to realistically be able to cruise the caribbean on 30 days a year - maybe you could do the bahamas (but even that would be pushing it). I know people who have done the Bahamas in a Catalina 27 and similar boats.

You really need to say what your price range is? What are your towing capabilities? Trailerable is a relative thing. Figure out what you actually plan on doing with the boat and buy a boat that can acomplish that goal.
Also have you considered chartering? If you really want to see the caribbean on a limited timeline that is the way to go.
Old 02-04-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
A Cal 20 recently sailed to Hawaii. They can be had cheaply, too.
Old 02-04-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think the best way to cruise the Caribbean with only 30 days available would be with a Macgregor 26 with a 50hp outboard on the back. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just kidding.

Seriously though, the Norsea 27 would be mt first choice for a trailerable offshore cruiser. Many have crossed oceans and Lyle Hess was a great designer (the Pardey's 2 boats were designed by Hess) The Falmouth cutter 22 would also be a good choice. Both are solid offshore capable boats that happen to be trailerable.

Tager - how's the new boat?
Old 02-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that there is a difference between a boat that can be transported on a trailer and a truly trailerable boat, which does not require anything but a proper boat ramp to launch the boat. Many of the boats mentioned above are boats that can be trailered, but not truly trailerable boats.

The Corsair 36 trimaran is a good bluewater capable trailerable... expensive and big... but doesn't require anything more than a boat ramp to launch it.

I'd also point out that you do not need a bluewater boat to make the hop from Florida to the Bahamas, as many coastal cruisers do that on a regular basis. You do need to have the patience to wait for the right weather window though.

Finally, one of my boat's sister-ships started in Florida, went down into the Caribbean, first east, a bit south and then west...then crossed to Honduras and is currently in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. This was a 3500 NM trip in a trailerable sport trimaran. So it is doable in a small boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-05-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Live in Wisconsin, want to cruise the Caribbean, have 30 days vacation a year...

If it were me, I would keep the boat you got which works well for you there, and I would fly to Tortola and charter for two weeks, split the boat costs with another couple of people.

Next season, charter in Granada.

Next season, charter somewhere else...

yeah, it's gonna cost you half of $ 5K a trip to charter for two weeks..

But what's it going to do pull a trailer from Wisconsin to Florida, leave yer car and trailer in Florida and sail to.........???? How far can you really get into the Caribbean before you have to turn around and start thinking about your haul back from Florida to Wisconsin?

You could settle on just cruising the Bahamas.....but in that case, the boat you have will work just fine for that.