Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that many countries will not accept a STATE-REGISTERED boat from the US, as US States have no sovereignty internationally. Only a US citizen can have a US-Flagged boat, which would be a USCG documented boat. The further from the US you get, the less likely a state-registration is going to be recognized.

Since you're not a US Citizen, you'd have to flag your boat elsewhere.

If you're serious about getting a boat in the US, it might be well worthwhile to have someone local to the boat check it out before you fly over to see it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
Thank you all for the input I understand what you all mean by suggesting me to find a boat here in Europe. Almost every article or opinion I have read prior to my first post here suggested a ocean going boat should have full keel. Leaving Hallberg Rassy aside, I don't know a single boat with full keel in Europe. And a HR from seventies cost $50.000 or more. Add to this all the equipment to be replaced or fixed and I could only keep dreaming... When it comes to Beneteaus, I wonder how many people would consider crossing Atlantic in one; I wouldn't. Again, following this forum , I so understood that displacement of the boat is important. Neither Jeanneau nor Beneteau are heavy boats. And, again, heavily priced compared to the ones in US, very heavily indeed. Sailing is luxury in this part of the world but lifestile in North America and I can see that clearly in prices.
When I talked about shower, I did mean I needed one while I sail around Caribbean, not during the ocean crossing. That would be too valuable water to be wasted for showers
I am not planning to import it to EU ever because of the tax and CE certification. Instead, I would have state registration in the US and keep the boat in Turkey where things seem more reasonable and as long as I keep my US flag, things would work out smoothly
I recently found a Bristol 29, asking price is $ 7000 and owner says he consider all "real" offers. Another one is asking $ 11500 for a B32 from seventies. Put 15 k on that for fitting and 3 k for flight and accomodation in US and still far cheaper then buying a fin keel boat with nearly half the displacement of a Bristol or Alberg 30.
Well, I, as told before, I'm just asking for opinions and info at the moment and try to learn so when I am ready to hit the road for the actual shopping, I know what I look for therefore every opinion is very welcome and thank you all again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2010
Dreaming...

Hmm is on a distinguished road
Hi Keith; I was interested in westerlies but I heard of them often developing osmosis so I am kinda affraid of them. If I understood correctly, For USCG documentation I need to be a US citizen but for a state registration I do not need to be.
Keeping the boat in Turkey is not big deal because my sister lives there and I have some friends who would help me...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 02-07-2010
Dreaming...

When I say Europe is expensive, I mean this. 5th boat is in US, rest in Europe.
Jeanneau (Sail) Myytävät Veneet

Typing with the small keyboard of the cell phone is a challenge I'll continiue when back home from work...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Last edited by Hmm; 02-07-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Don't discount fin keel boats. Many are better sailers than full keel boats and
being newer in most cases better built as well with less work needed by you.
I think if I were you I would look in the UK for as mentioned a Westerly (maybe the Storm) Contessa 32, She 31, or a Rival 32 or something similar. There is a huge selection and you're closer to home so travel expenses would be less. I have an aquaintance in England refitting a She 31 at this time and it is a very capable boat from a great designer,Sparkman & Stevens. It will go anywhere a full keel boat will and faster as well as a better sailer. Here's a link to a She 31 for sale in the UK now and the price isn't too bad. She 31 for sale - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

As far as importing a boat, as far as I know if you are in the EU for 6 months regardless of flag you have no choice but to pay the duty (vat). This would apply to a Canadian or American citizen as well.

Here's a link to Yachtsnet in the UK, where the above link came from, and you can look at their brokerage and the archives have a lot of detail and pics of their past sales. This will give you a good idea of what is available in the UK. Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Egemen
I looked at the boats in your link and I think you'll have to look at older boats to get down to your budget, either in the states or the EU.
Old 02-07-2010
Dreaming...

Smile

You all have posted very valuable info for me so thank you all, once again Even though there still is a big price difference, at least now I know there are capable cruisers also at this side of the ocean Until I have read your posts, I thought a bluewater boat should have a full keel. Someone called that BS but that was not MY BS, I just had the idea at this very forum. There is this highly respected "blue water cruiser list" which, if I recall correctly, doesn't include a single fin keel boat...

Marty, I will try to find more to read about the Beneteaus and Jeanneaus and keep these names in mind and in the shopping list.

Sailingdog, I hoped I could sail anywhere with a state registrated boat but thank you for the warning. After seeing the She 31 and Rival 32, I seriously started to think that shopping around here might be a wiser thing after all...

And Brian; thank you very much for the links and mentoning Rival 32 and She 31. They really look pretty and close to my price range. They certainly are at the top of my shopping list, especially Rival 32. If you or anyone else knows other boats/ models to suggest, please do suggest.

If one day I happen to be ready and find the right boat, when I raise my glass to celebrate, I'll drink to all of your health

Mark Twain
Old 03-23-2010

hgv50 is on a distinguished road
Albin Vega!

I would suggest an Albin Vega for about $10k - they are cheap in Scandinavia, because a lot of the 3400 that were made are still here.

Check out the review from GoodOldBoat at www dot bluemoment dot com;
"Youíd hardly guess by looking at one that the Albin Vega has earned herself a reputation for being an outstanding offshore cruiser."
Old 03-23-2010

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
You can find lots of older, affordable bluewater boats over here... we take for granted how accessable cruising and living aboard can be here in the good old USA... what a great adventure it will be to buy a cheap boat, make it seaworthy, sail to carib then home.... just make it happen....